+ Reply to Thread

Unhappy Should I give Rogaine a try (Picture)

Hi, I'm 17.5 years old, will turn 18 over the summer. I used to have long hair, but last summer I decided to get a buzz. I got it cut to 1/2 inch thick and we noticed thinning. I assumed it was just the haircut and I let it grow again. I noticed that my hair was still very thin after it grew out longer. Yesterday I got another buzz cut 1/2 inch and it looks worse than it did over the summer. I should note that the thinning appears on the top, as the sides of my head you can't see my scalp. The pic might make it look a "little" worse than it actually is, but the pic is a good indication of what it looks like.

I am looking to give Rogaine a try. I plan on buying a 4 month supply off Amazon and hope that it helps. My father's side of the family has a history of balding and I really don't want to end up like that. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Hey man, sorry to hear. I'm 19 myself and dealing with hair loss, I feel for you.

Firstly, the flash photo you've taken is probably making it look worse than it actually is.

You could try Rogaine, it might work for you. Provided you see any results, you'll need to maintain usage if you hope to maintain whatever benefit it provides. If you stop, you will literally revert back to wherever your hair loss has progressed to.

There's also finasteride (Propecia). The purpose of this drug is to stop further progression of hair loss. It works for most people, as I understand, but there are potential sexual side effects.

Finally, there is Nizoral shampoo. This serves to block DHT at the scalp. As a standalone, it will likely not do much. Usually used in combination with Rogaine and Propecia, dubbed 'the Big 3'.

Whatever route you choose, do research. There is a lot of good information on this forum. And good luck.

Here is another picture I took using my cell phone. I think it looks just as bad. :/

Quote Originally Posted by BigBoy View Post
    I am looking to give Rogaine a try. I plan on buying a 4 month supply off Amazon and hope that it helps.
    Hi BigBoy,

Don't buy a four month supply to start off with. Get a one month supply to make sure you can use the medication without problems - and use it only once per day in the beginning. If after that bottle is nearly empty and all is well, then buy the three or four months supplies.

You do not need to buy Rogaine or generic Minoxidil from Amazon. If you are in the U.S. you can get it at Walmart for a reasonably good price. You can also buy it directly from Rogaine.com. Currently, Rogaine is offering a rebate promotion. You get a $10.00 rebate check if you by a one month supply and a $20.00 rebate check if you get a three month supply. Here is a link to the website and a link to the rebate form.

http://www.rogaine.com/

http://www.rogaine.com/sites/default...OG-CPN-NAT.pdf

It is a good idea to use Nizoral shampoo in place of your regular shampoo once or twice per week as well. You can buy Nizoral A-D (1% Ketoconazole) at your local pharmacy without a prescription. Walmart also sells it.

You may be too young to start on Propecia (1mg Finasteride). You would need to talk that over with your doctor. Generic Finasteride is on Walmart's list of low price generic medications. If you can take it, it costs a lot less money to get generic Finasteride in 5mg tablets and use a pill splitter to cut the pill into four pieces to make your daily dose. You need a prescription to get Finasteride, so talk it over with your doctor.

You could probably also benefit from using a laser comb. Low level laser therapy increases the caliber, increases the strength and improves the quality of the hair you have. This effect makes your hair look fuller and more youthful. This effect also improves the quality of the hair that grows back from using Rogaine or generic Minoxidil.

Inactive

I have very similar thinning !
    Major difference, my overall case is worse as I have expressed receding hairlines and balding in the crown. I hope You'll be able to avoid that, good thing You are starting to fight the problem early on.. I started way too late, in my 30s, but even so I still hope I'll be able to somewhat reverse the process.

Quote Originally Posted by StressedToTheBald View Post
    I started way too late, in my 30s, but even so I still hope I'll be able to somewhat reverse the process.
    You are not starting "way too late". Sure you are starting late but it's not "way too late". However by the time you realize that those snake oils you are experimenting with don't work, it might be "way to late". It depends on how long it's going to take you to realize they are not going to work.