+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 15 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Default Hairloss in brothers

I am aware of others around my age that are losing their hair. I am 27, I have a brother a year older than me. He started balding at about 16 years old, I noticed and within a year it was happening to me too, you would expect this as we have the same genes.

There are 2 other guys I know that are balding but they both have brothers who are not balding. I find this a bit odd myself.

The brothers:

First pair:
    29 year old, been balding around 9 years.
    his brother 27 not balding at all.

Second pair:
    27 year old, been balding around 7 years.
    his brother 29 not balding at all.

Why do some brothers get away with it.

I have 2 younger brothers who are an age where I was in early balding. I also think one of them has started balding too. I expect all 4 of us brothers will be baldies.

Is it more common for brothers to bald at a similar sort of age or is that actually not that common and there can be vast differences in the balding age of brothers.

Can anyone shed some light on this?

Inactive

I'm no expert, but I think only twins share the exactly same state of hair - both end with hair or both end up bald. In all other cases, brothers might be different in the sense of having different dominant genes. I've found somewhere that we only share 50%, more or less, of genes with our parents and brothers and sisters. If thats the case - good chances are that half may inherit baldness and half not. Just a theory anyway..

"Genes

Common baldness cannot occur without the presence of specific inherited genes. These genes can be passed on by either parent. A gene is a single bit of chemically encoded hereditary instruction that is located on a chromosome and actually represents a tiny segment of DNA. Chromosomes occur in pairs (humans have 23 pairs), and every individual gets one set of chromosomes from each parent. Hair loss in men is now felt to involve more than one gene. When several genes govern a trait, it is called polygenic.

Genes that are located on the X or Y-chromosomes are call sex-linked. Genes on the other 22 pairs of chromosomes are called autosomal. It is felt that the genes governing common baldness are autosomal (not sex linked). This means that the baldness trait can be inherited from the mother’s side of the family or the father’s side with equal frequency. The commonly held notion that baldness comes only from the mother’s side of the family is incorrect, although for reasons not fully understood, the predisposition inherited from an affected mother is of slightly greater importance than that inherited from an affected father.

The term, “dominant” means that only one gene of a pair is needed for the trait to show up in the individual. A “recessive” gene means that both genes need to be present in order for the trait to be expressed. The genes involved in balding from androgenetic alopecia are felt to be dominant.

Just because one has the genes for baldness, it doesn’t mean the trait will manifest itself. The ability of a gene to affect one’s characteristics, i.e. be visible in a particular individual, is called “expressivity”. Gene expression is related to a number of factors, the major ones being hormones and age, although stress and other factors can be reasons for hair loss and balding in some individuals.

It is of interest that, although genes for some types of male hair loss have been mapped, none of the genes for male pattern baldness have yet been identified. This suggests that any kind of genetic engineering to prevent common baldness is still many years away."

I suspect both my parent had the balding gene, my dad lost his hair in his late 20's I think. I only noticed from old photo's. Plus my mum looked into our family history and found out that we were related to a professional footballer who is totally bald (he is retired now). So it was inevitable that my hair would disappear.

This weekend = time to have a good look at my hair in the mirror, buzz it to grade 0 and if I absolutely cannot stand the way I look, it is time to book a transplant.

Inactive

Quote Originally Posted by sausage View Post
    I suspect both my parent had the balding gene, my dad lost his hair in his late 20's I think. I only noticed from old photo's. Plus my mum looked into our family history and found out that we were related to a professional footballer who is totally bald (he is retired now). So it was inevitable that my hair would disappear.

This weekend = time to have a good look at my hair in the mirror, buzz it to grade 0 and if I absolutely cannot stand the way I look, it is time to book a transplant.
    Then all chances were sadly against You.
    Similar story here. I actually think us bald people need look no further but our father, essentially it feels like somewhat of a mirror, we all end up as replica of our father's baldness.

I never really go to grade 0. Worst case I set up scale 1 on the Philips trimmer.. whats annoying is that even what I cut my hair closest to zero - I can still notice the balding in the crown, in front it doesn't look as bad at it does in the back.

Quote Originally Posted by StressedToTheBald View Post
    I never really go to grade 0. Worst case I set up scale 1 on the Philips trimmer.. whats annoying is that even what I cut my hair closest to zero - I can still notice the balding in the crown, in front it doesn't look as bad at it does in the back.
    Trouble for me is I never look at myself in the mirror, I just can't do it.

So I was just buzzing it to a grade 2 all the time, but I got the courage to look in the mirror last weekend and it looked terrible. My hair left on top is thin so compared to my surrounding horseshoe hair it looked awful. Thick horseshoe hair that is too long (even grade 2) looks horendous when you have thin nothingness on top especially when your only 27.

So it had to be buzzed down to a grade 1 but I still thought it looked pretty damn bad so this weekend I may buzz to a grade 0 to get rid of that thick to thin contrast on my head so it just blends in. But I will still look like an idiot.

Just need to buy a digital camera and i can start getting some consultations done for surgery as I cannot cope.

Inactive

I hate it too.
    Whats really annoying, I've trimmed my hair to 1 in the past and still balding areas are clearly visible. Further more - when I see bald people who shave, yes do their hair with razor, their balding lines are still visible and that sucks big time.
    Still I'll have to go shortest once again.. the longer my hair is, the more ridicolous is looks, also applying anything on the hair is more difficult.

How do You range on Norwood scale ?
    I think I am at least 4, maybe even 5, or in between.
    I see some people even here on the forum beeing scared and in panic although they seem to have full sets of hair, I doubt they're even Norwood 1, the real misery starts with 3, 4 and guys with Norwood 7 - they probably feel even worse than I do.

Every gene has a recessive and a dominant version of itself in the body.. the gene causing MPB(male pattern baldness) also has its recessive and dominant versions...

So basically MPB gene is of 2 types. D(dominant) and R(Recessive). the dominant gene will always rule over the recessive gene when both are present as part of a persons genetic make up...

A person will have either of these combinations in his body:

D,D--> (truly dominant, no MPB, kid can never have MPB as always the D gene is passed over)
    D,R--> (Dominant, No MPB, but kid could have MPB if the R gene is passed over)
    R,D--> (Dominant, No MPB, but kid could have MPB if the R gene is passed over)
    R,R--> (Recessive, will have MPB, kid could have MPB since R gene is passed over)

This above is the genetic make up of one person(the male)

The same will also be present in women... se too would have either a DD, DR,RD, or RR in her body...

When these 2 have kids(siblings), the MALE could share either his dominant or recessive gene, and so will the FEMALE...

The siblings, if they have MPB, then have the RR combination, whereas the other brother who does not have MPB, has the DD,or DR,RD ..

so if one brother has MPB there is no guarantee that the other brother will have it too, but there is a likely hood, as the family does possess the R strain of the gene ...

How do You range on Norwood scale ?
    I think I am at least 4, maybe even 5, or in between.
    I see some people even here on the forum beeing scared and in panic although they seem to have full sets of hair, I doubt they're even Norwood 1, the real misery starts with 3, 4 and guys with Norwood 7 - they probably feel even worse than I do.
    On the Norwood scale I am probably around a 4a. I think I may be like you.

I have receded a fair bit at the temples and the rest of my hair on top is very thin but I have no bald patch.

I didn't shave it to grad 0 this weekend as I needed to take some photos to send to surgeons for consultation and I guessed if I gave my hair a grade 0 they would not really be able to get a good idea of the state of my hair.

Next weekend a grade 0 is needed and it will stay that way as my hair is too far gone to even have it at grade 1.

If the surgeons don't come back with a decent reply then I think thats it, I will just have to face life bald and hope some other more successful 'cure' comes out asap. At least I will be safe in the knowledge that my £25,000 is safe in my bank for now, thats the one thing that keeps me going.

Its sooooo depressing knowing that if I had hair I would 100% have a girlfriend and be giving her a good old seeing too but no my lifes screwed I am single and I don't think I will be able to ever ask a girl out. I will just have to force myself to get on facebook and ask this girl out I fancy, but believe I have no chance looking like this. But you never know, I would be on such a high if I could get her.

Many people my age that have lost their hair have found girlfriends. I wish I could get on with life and somehow find a girl that won't care that I am bald. There is one guy in particular that looks totally awful who has lost his hair, he has hair like a monk and is my age, and he is married with a kid.

Might just have to grin and bear it....

Inactive

Sounds like You might be slightly better than me, at least half on the Norwood scale, because I also have a bald crown. Maybe I'm 4b or 5a..

Good idea not going 0 before consultations, surgeon sadly has to see the worst version, to determine number of grafts etc.

It would be tough if You expect those money back guarantees, surgeons are in it for the money and I doubt anyone out there is in money back mood. Anyway I hope it works out, that You get both guarantees and good results so there won't be any need for asking the money back. I'd like to hear the results first hand.

Its a lot of money though. I'd have to save my whole life to pack that much. Then I might think.. I've saved all my life, is it worth it.. Theres always doubts.

As for the girls, don't know how much they find it important. There are/should be more important things. Some girls might not want us regardless if we have hair or not, so thats something to always have in mind. But the selfconfidence is a powerful thing also, no one likes to be bald, I don't either, I guess we're all here trying to get our hair back.

As for the girls, don't know how much they find it important. There are/should be more important things. Some girls might not want us regardless if we have hair or not, so thats something to always have in mind. But the selfconfidence is a powerful thing also, no one likes to be bald, I don't either, I guess we're all here trying to get our hair back.
    I will keep you posted, down to the surgeons responses now.

I don't really want to be paying over 17k but with how far I am gone I probably will have to pay a lot more.