+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast
    Inactive

Quote Originally Posted by sausage View Post
    I will keep you posted, down to the surgeons responses now.

I don't really want to be paying over 17k but with how far I am gone I probably will have to pay a lot more.
    Thanks, I'd appreciate that.

Maybe if You can find a good surgeon and a cheap flight to USA.. dollar is still considerably weak, especially comparing to british pound - its like 1,5+ dollars for 1,0 pound. You'll get more value for Your money. Sadly, Europe is way too much expensive, transplants are overpriced as well. The disadvantage however is that its far away, for check ups, consultations etc.

Inactive

Have You heard about this .. ?
    http://www.baldtruthtalk.com/showthread.php?t=7370

Its FUE, but latest FUE, backed by some new robotics stuff.. I hope it becomes mainstream, high tech can only help to perfect the procedure.

Back to the original post, my younger brother is 19 going on 20, and I can see a similar pattern forming in his crown. I probably started about the same age. I haven't had the heart to tell him yet. I'm hoping his girlfriend or someone else will notice first.

And I truly believe that any woman worth your time or effort will not give a damn about your hair (just like my brother's girl won't, just like the girl I just started seeing doesn't). In fact, I see bald guys, fat guys, bald fat guys, ugly guys, bald fat ugly guys, all the time with very attractive woman. I think the key is just to not give a damn and be confident. Obviously much easier said than done.

Quote Originally Posted by StressedToTheBald View Post
    Thanks, I'd appreciate that.

Maybe if You can find a good surgeon and a cheap flight to USA.. dollar is still considerably weak, especially comparing to british pound - its like 1,5+ dollars for 1,0 pound. You'll get more value for Your money. Sadly, Europe is way too much expensive, transplants are overpriced as well. The disadvantage however is that its far away, for check ups, consultations etc.
    I had some consultation feedback today, sounds like I need FUT (strip surgery) which I am not sure I will able to go through with.

The cost is the only good thing about it, although ridiculously expensive, it is a lot cheaper than FUE.

May have to be done in 2 sessions with possibly a year gap in between. Which does not sound good to me, could you go for a year with half a transplanted head and massive scar showing in the back of your head? I couldn't.

If I can get it done for under £15,000 in one mega session then I may go for it.

Inactive

I had some consultation feedback today, sounds like I need FUT (strip surgery) which I am not sure I will able to go through with.

The cost is the only good thing about it, although ridiculously expensive, it is a lot cheaper than FUE.

May have to be done in 2 sessions with possibly a year gap in between. Which does not sound good to me, could you go for a year with half a transplanted head and massive scar showing in the back of your head? I couldn't.

If I can get it done for under £15,000 in one mega session then I may go for it.
    I bet most surgeons suggest FUT not because its better, but easier for them to perform, and accordingly fewer surgeons are experts in FUE.

It is cheaper, but for what its worth, as I said earlier I wouldn't go with FUT even if someone would give it away for free. Scarring is scarring - and way too many people also report the misfortune of having to undergo new procedures just to cover the scar on the back on their heads. Worst case scenario - keloid might form ! Imagine having a thick mass tissue visible on the back of Your head.. keloids are also extremely tough to get rid of.. I wouldn't go through that, no, and with all that time in between, You wouldn't even have full set of hair this year as You expected.

Have You read about ARTAS ?
    Its FUE but latest stuff, backed by technology, and seems to be the latest FDA approved procedure. Its 8 dollars per graft - very expensive, yet still cheaper than UK or Ireland.
    http://www.hsccolorado.com/
    http://www.restorationrobotics.com/p...inal_doc2x.pdf

Inactive

Quote Originally Posted by John777 View Post
    Back to the original post, my younger brother is 19 going on 20, and I can see a similar pattern forming in his crown. I probably started about the same age. I haven't had the heart to tell him yet. I'm hoping his girlfriend or someone else will notice first.
    Maybe its more fair to tell him. I mean I wish I had someone to warn me early on. If he doesn't mind about his hair thats a different issue, but if he does - its gonna be easier to fight the problem early on.

Quote Originally Posted by John777 View Post
    And I truly believe that any woman worth your time or effort will not give a damn about your hair (just like my brother's girl won't, just like the girl I just started seeing doesn't). In fact, I see bald guys, fat guys, bald fat guys, ugly guys, bald fat ugly guys, all the time with very attractive woman. I think the key is just to not give a damn and be confident. Obviously much easier said than done.
    Some girls don't care, others might, while some wouldn't like us regardless if we have hair or not. Other things are more important beyond doubt, but first impression when it comes to first impression sadly comes from the ouside. We watch and both guys and girls are at first visual beeings. Selfconfidence is important, no one likes to go bald - we should reflect on the outside how we feel on the inside and I have to say that it doesn't feel right that us young people in 20s and 30s have lost hair like people in their 60s or 70s.. its how I feel too, and it simply doesn't feel right, it doesn't even feel natural regardless of what evolution theories tend to speculate.

I bet most surgeons suggest FUT not because its better, but easier for them to perform, and accordingly fewer surgeons are experts in FUE.
    I feel similar to you about FUT, its does seem quite desperate to want to have a big chunk of the back of your head cut off to be stuck on top of your head. I guess that people losing their hair are desperate as they don't have any other options to help restore their hair to a decent results. People that have the option between the 2 procedures that choose FUT are a bit crazy.

It looks like I personally have no choice, but I will ask whats the best that can be done for me with FUE as I am so put off by FUT.

I have heard about that Artas thing but it does not look like any big improvement really, just makes it easier for the surgeon, does not really help the patient much, only in terms of time.

There is a buzz around Replicel on this forum as that looks like a possible cure in the near future. The fact that this possibly could become huge is another factor putting me off any FUT procedure.

Inactive

I feel similar to you about FUT, its does seem quite desperate to want to have a big chunk of the back of your head cut off to be stuck on top of your head. I guess that people losing their hair are desperate as they don't have any other options to help restore their hair to a decent results. People that have the option between the 2 procedures that choose FUT are a bit crazy.
    I'm desperate too but I'd never be desperate enough to go with FUT - it involves adding a potentially serious scarring problem to worry about, as if the hair problem itself isn't enough and also there would be the results of HT to worry about.

It looks like I personally have no choice, but I will ask whats the best that can be done for me with FUE as I am so put off by FUT.
    Theres always a choice. I'd try contacting as many surgeons out there - and especially those who claim to be experts in FUE. FUT is still mainstream procedure and most doctors are traditionalists !

I have heard about that Artas thing but it does not look like any big improvement really, just makes it easier for the surgeon, does not really help the patient much, only in terms of time.
    I think as high tech is involved - the scanning or whatever is more precise, in my humble opinion this will become mainstream with FUE. It might not be now, as theis tech equipment probably costs big time.

There is a buzz around Replicel on this forum as that looks like a possible cure in the near future. The fact that this possibly could become huge is another factor putting me off any FUT procedure.
    I don't raise my hopes too high. Theres plenty of claims out there and all seem to be years away or not proven. If replicel makes it with permanent solution and stuff, the cost would be much lower than HT, so I'd be the first to sign up.. but, theres always but, who knows when or even if replicel would become reality.

I don't raise my hopes too high. Theres plenty of claims out there and all seem to be years away or not proven. If replicel makes it with permanent solution and stuff, the cost would be much lower than HT, so I'd be the first to sign up.. but, theres always but, who knows when or even if replicel would become reality.
    FUE can still be a possibility for me, it would just cost me a fortune.

I would only go for it if somehow I managed to get hold of a lot of money.

I may not have enough grafts and worryingly I have been told this wouldn't be able to be determined until day of surgery. That means I could put a deposit down for surgery, fly to America, enter the surgery and be told 'Sir, we cannot help you'. I mean what the hell? That is just plain crazy.

I have also been told it would take many sessions over a long time period to get to the final result, although I think there could be other surgeons that would be willing to do mass FUE sessions over a shorter time. But this may not be the case, I will find out.

Otherwise...

FUT is the only real option for me as much as I hate it. I could go through with the procedure its just the aftermath.

I could get away with having FUE done in terms of work as no-one would notice, until it started growing back which is fine.

But with FUT I will go back with a huge scar, everyone will notice unless I grow my hair long and look like a monk for months which I am not prepared to do. If there is something out there that could conceal such a scar I would like to know about it. I am not sure how common that scar issue you mentioned is, if its common it would be an added thing to put me off.

There are huge consequences with FUT:

If it works:
    I get a decent looking head of hair back, my life would change, I would have a life again, I would be confident of getting a girlfriend which would lead onto a better life, a house etc....

If it doesn't work:
    I will be even more depressed than I am now, £15,000+ of my hard earned money which was mean't for a house would be gone for nothing. I would have a prominent scar in the back of my head and no way of covering it up as my hair needs to be short otherwise I will look like a monk.

I have been told by one clinic that their results are never worse than some patients having a slightly thinner area than the rest of their hair. This is one of the best clinics there are and they have a good reputation. So by the sounds of things it should all be fine.

Inactive

FUE can still be a possibility for me, it would just cost me a fortune.

I would only go for it if somehow I managed to get hold of a lot of money.
    It is a fortune and money's becoming harder and harder to earn these days, I assume even in UK money doesn't fall off from trees.. Can't say what I would do in Your place as my situation financially is ways much worse. I guess if the money in question wasn't all my life's savings and if I had a housing and other issues solved, then it would be easier to say good bye to such huge amount of money..

I may not have enough grafts and worryingly I have been told this wouldn't be able to be determined until day of surgery. That means I could put a deposit down for surgery, fly to America, enter the surgery and be told 'Sir, we cannot help you'. I mean what the hell? That is just plain crazy.
    That sounds terrible ! Especially if You go to States. The only reason why Europe might be better - You could book a local cheap flight, have consultations and see where You stand. Otherwise it might easily end up like a walk in the dark !

I have also been told it would take many sessions over a long time period to get to the final result, although I think there could be other surgeons that would be willing to do mass FUE sessions over a shorter time. But this may not be the case, I will find out.
    I noticed some people indeed have multiple sessions over time. Benefits - You could devide the costs and stuff - bad really bad thing - You wouldn't have full result anywhere near in time frame that You have set for this Year.

FUT is the only real option for me as much as I hate it. I could go through with the procedure its just the aftermath.

I could get away with having FUE done in terms of work as no-one would notice, until it started growing back which is fine.

But with FUT I will go back with a huge scar, everyone will notice unless I grow my hair long and look like a monk for months which I am not prepared to do. If there is something out there that could conceal such a scar I would like to know about it. I am not sure how common that scar issue you mentioned is, if its common it would be an added thing to put me off.
    Think of the result, the procedure itself is less important.
    I'd never go with FUT, I'm prone to scarring and I believe even people who aren't can end up badly. Let me tell You - there is no such thing as invisible scar !!! You will get one if You go with FUT, the only difference based on the skill of the surgeon Your scar may be more or less noticable, but You would get one for sure ! And worst case scenario You could end up with keloid or even if not - You can end up having to pay for additional FUE just to 'cover' the scar.

There are creams and covers for scars, in skin colour.. but do ask Yourself if you really want to apply consealers for the rest of Your life.

There are huge consequences with FUT:

If it works:
    I get a decent looking head of hair back, my life would change, I would have a life again, I would be confident of getting a girlfriend which would lead onto a better life, a house etc....

If it doesn't work:
    I will be even more depressed than I am now, £15,000+ of my hard earned money which was mean't for a house would be gone for nothing. I would have a prominent scar in the back of my head and no way of covering it up as my hair needs to be short otherwise I will look like a monk.

I have been told by one clinic that their results are never worse than some patients having a slightly thinner area than the rest of their hair. This is one of the best clinics there are and they have a good reputation. So by the sounds of things it should all be fine.
    Weigh in carefuly, once You decide there is no way back. Are You ready to accept the possible outcome of what happens if it doesn't work.. If the money's planned for the future house, girl, family.. Be wise, don't loose both, those would be my fears too.