Threaded View

Default The issue of lighting

Hello everyone, long-time reader/lurker, first time poster. I've found a few posts on the subject of how lighting affects how thinning hair looks, but it mostly seemed to be glossed over, and is my main concern recently.

I'm 26 now, someone first noticed my crown thinning around the age of 20 or 21. Like most people I freaked out and obsessed about it for quite some time, but its started to bother me less and less as I get a bit older (and learned to rock the #1 buzz cut). I've also been on Fin for 3+ years and my crown hasn't gotten too much worse (I think). Only slight recession on the temples.

What I wanted to discuss was the issue of lighting, and how my hair seems to look VASTLY different in the mirror and in pictures depending on the light. It's not even the balding so much that bothers me anymore, but that I have no freaking idea what other people are seeing on top of my head. Here's a few common occurrences.

(1) Bathroom light on over a mirror, and I hold another mirror behind my head. Hmm, not so bad, definitely a lighter swirl but it blends in ok (especially w/ the buzz). Then, turn around so I'm seeing the thinning area in the mirror I'm holding...yup, that's scalp. It looks terrible, like a halo with a little tuft of hair in the middle.

(2) Take a pic of the top of my head with a camera (no flash, room lit by daylight). Same deal, looks OK, obviously a little thin but blends well. Some pics it looks barely noticeable at all. Take another pic (same room, just moved a tiny bit), looks like a big bright bald spot.

Like I said, I've come a long way in just accepting what's happening (my friends are still my friends, do fine with women, etc. etc), but that doesn't mean I don't have occasional days where I start obsessively snapping pictures of my head or spend 30 minutes playing mirror games trying to figure out just what is going on up there (it's like a drug addict having a relapse). And it just drives me off the wall because these "good" mirror angles and pics offer me some relief, only to freak out again a few hours later when a bad pic or mirror image shows scalp galore.

Any thoughts? Similar experience?