The Twins & Baldness Story - BaldTruthTalk.com
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    Inactive
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Norwood 3-4
    Posts
    452

    Arrow The Twins & Baldness Story

    "The specific relationship between testosterone and hormonally induced hair loss in men was discovered by a psychiatrist early in this century. At that time, castration was commonly performed on patients with certain types of mental illness as it seemed to have a calming effect upon many patients and castration reduced the sex drive of patients who had no outlet for their desires. The doctor noted that the identical twin brother of one patient was bald while the mentally ill (castrated) twin had a full head of hair. The doctor decided to determine the effect of treating his patient with testosterone, which had recently become available in a purified form. He injected the hairy twin with testosterone to see what would happen. Within weeks, the hairy twin began to lose all but his wreath of permanent hair, just like his normal twin. The doctor, then, stopped giving the testosterone to see whether the process would be reversed, but the balding process continued and his patient never regained his full head of hair. It was apparent to him that eliminating testosterone will slow, or stop, further hair loss once it has begun, but it will not revive any dead follicles."

  2. #2
    Senior Member 2020's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    1,527

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by StressedToTheBald View Post
    "The specific relationship between testosterone and hormonally induced hair loss in men was discovered by a psychiatrist early in this century. At that time, castration was commonly performed on patients with certain types of mental illness as it seemed to have a calming effect upon many patients and castration reduced the sex drive of patients who had no outlet for their desires. The doctor noted that the identical twin brother of one patient was bald while the mentally ill (castrated) twin had a full head of hair. The doctor decided to determine the effect of treating his patient with testosterone, which had recently become available in a purified form. He injected the hairy twin with testosterone to see what would happen. Within weeks, the hairy twin began to lose all but his wreath of permanent hair, just like his normal twin. The doctor, then, stopped giving the testosterone to see whether the process would be reversed, but the balding process continued and his patient never regained his full head of hair. It was apparent to him that eliminating testosterone will slow, or stop, further hair loss once it has begun, but it will not revive any dead follicles."


    where are you getting this from?

  3. #3
    Inactive
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Norwood 3-4
    Posts
    452

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 2020 View Post


    where are you getting this from?
    http://www.bernsteinmedical.com/hair-loss/men/causes/

  4. #4
    Senior Member 2020's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    1,527

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by StressedToTheBald View Post
    then how would you explain the results of many many people where they REGREW their "dead" hair?

  5. #5
    Senior Member 2020's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    1,527

    Default

    BY THE WAY:


    That is a HAIR RESTORATION WEBSITE!
    It's in their best interest to convince people that there is NOTHING YOU CAN DO to bring your hair back EXCEPT with a hair transplant

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    3,125

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 2020 View Post
    then how would you explain the results of many many people where they REGREW their "dead" hair?
    There is not enough detail in the story itself or the comparison being made. Blocking the hormone that causes hereditary hair loss is only part of the solution. The other part of the solution is to stimulate hair follicles that can still grow hair to grow hair. Once the hair follicles have been damaged by DHT, they will need something to repair them so they could start growing hair again. I bet if the mentally ill twin had received treatment with topical Minoxidil, he would have grown back some hair. How much he could have grown back depends on how long the mentally ill twin was left bald.

    Another example is male to female transsexuals. Take a look at forum member Chanceinamillion's photos. She is a great example. Male to female transsexuals who were balding before they got rid of the source of DHT would stop balding - and with stimulation would grow some of their hair back. How much hair they could grow back depended on how long they had been balding. The longer they had been balding, the less hair they could grow back. Chanceinamillion was easily a NW6 maybe a NW7 before she started cross-sex HRT. She was slick bald on top. After some time on her meds and using Minoxidil, she grew a lot of hair back. Not enough hair - but still a lot.

    You see, when hair follicles stop producing hair they go into a dormant state. They can remain dormant for a few years before they die. Once a hair follicle dies, it will never produce hair again. However, if the dormant hair follicles can be repaired before they die, those hair follicles can be saved and can start producing hair gain. That is why the best solution for arresting your hair loss and possibly growing some back is to do both treat the cause and stimulate regrowth.

    Another factor is how sensative a persons hair follicles are to DHT. Some people have hair follicles that are more sensative than others. Women also suffer from hereditary hair loss even though they have significantly less DHT than males. The problem is these poor women have enherited hair follicles that are very sensative to DHT. So sensative that it doesn't take much DHT to damage their hair follicles. What do these poor women need to do? They need to take a more potent anti-androgen that blocks the reception of DHT rather than the production of DHT. Then they still need to use Minoxidil to repair the damage so their hair can grow back.

  7. #7
    Senior Member 2020's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    1,527

    Default

    right, I was just saying that just because your follicle is "inactive" at the moment, it does not mean that you will never be able to grow hair from it.
    That story was probably exaggerated to make their business appeal as the only to treat hairloss.

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    3,125

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 2020 View Post
    That story was probably exaggerated to make their business appeal as the only to treat hairloss.
    If you are referring to Dr. Bernstein's practice, it is only fair to note that Dr. Bernstein does promote treatment. He provides a mountain of verifiable information concerning treatment with medications on his web site - for both men and women. He even has before and after photos of men who treated their hair loss with medications alone. If he is trying to convince people not to bother with medications because surgery is the only way, why would he bother do that? Spencer himself stated that Dr, Bernstein is a "matter of fact" kind of guy. He just tells it like it is. Whether patients like it or not. Here is a link to those before and after photos I was talking about.

    http://www.bernsteinmedical.com/medi...atient-photos/

  9. #9
    Senior Member 2020's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    1,527

    Default

    btw,

    Quote Originally Posted by Tracy C View Post
    Then they still need to use Minoxidil to repair the damage so their hair can grow back.
    does minoxidil really "heal" your follicles? I thought it was meant to put your hair on "steroids" - to make it grow no matter what.
    Would it make sense to start using a light dose of minoxidil even if we know that the grown hair will fall out immediately after you stop using it.

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    3,125

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 2020 View Post
    Would it make sense to start using a light dose of minoxidil even if we know that the grown hair will fall out immediately after you stop using it.
    The regrown hair does not fall out immediately after you stop using Minoxidil. What happens is your hair loss resumes as it was before treatment. How long this takes depends on the individual and how aggressive their hair loss is. However it is not common for it to happen immediately. Normally the hair loss starts back up slowly over the course of months.



    Quote Originally Posted by 2020 View Post
    does minoxidil really "heal" your follicles? I thought it was meant to put your hair on "steroids" - to make it grow no matter what.
    Minoxidil is a vasodilator. The mechanism of action with regard to treating hair loss is not fully understood. However, the effect is known. It stimulates hair follicles that can still grow hair to grow hair, including dormant hair follicles. The regrown hair from previously dormant hair follicles starts out as downy peach fuzz. Over time and with continued use of the mediciation, the quality of the regrown hair improves with each hair cycle. This cannot happen unless the miniaturization of the hair follicles is itself reversing. This takes a long time though. It is not a quick process. This is why it takes four to six months before you will know if Minoxidil is working for you - but it takes longer before you will know how well Minoxidil is working for you. Often a lot longer. At least 12 to 18 months. Without treating the cause of hair loss, it can take even longer.

Similar Threads

  1. The Gemini Twins - One Year Results
    By Gemini1 in forum Men's Hair Loss: Start Your Own Topic
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-18-2010, 05:01 PM
  2. "The Twins" Gemini 1 and Gemini 2...The Video
    By Jotronic in forum Hair Transplant Results By IAHRS Recommended Surgeons
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 06-20-2010, 05:51 PM
  3. Non-genetic causes of baldness in men
    By Thinning@30 in forum Men's Hair Loss: Start Your Own Topic
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-07-2010, 04:17 PM
  4. "The Feller Twins" - comparison videos between tricho and non-tricho donor
    By Spex in forum Hair Transplant: Start Your Own Topic
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-26-2009, 03:08 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

» IAHRS

hair transplant surgeons

» The Bald Truth

» Recent Threads

Is there any hope for me Norwood 6
04-11-2019 02:54 PM
by lpel
Last Post By lukp
Today 02:12 PM
FUE Vs DHI, which results are more natural?
Today 11:56 AM
by RomRav
Last Post By RomRav
Today 11:56 AM
Advanced Hair Clinics, Athens
Today 11:31 AM
by RomRav
Last Post By RomRav
Today 11:31 AM
Smile hair clinic, turkey
12-21-2018 12:13 AM
by saassaf
Last Post By RomRav
Today 10:06 AM
Adventure Games
11-30-2022 11:32 PM
by vobejoh
Last Post By tasimkhan077
Yesterday 09:46 PM