View Poll Results: Do you trust the FDA ?

Voters
9. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

5 55.56%
  • No

3 33.33%
  • Not anymore

0 0%
  • Still thinking about it

1 11.11%
+ Reply to Thread

Cool Do you really trust the FDA ?

I just ask , because I keep seeing reference to only FDA approved things . FDA approval use to mean something to me but not anymore ! With they're track record of approving drugs that KILL not less then 10,000 US citizens before be recalled . I don't have much faith in them . Not to mention the drugs they approve have worst side-effects then what there are ment to alleviate . Thats right alleviate only . Drug Companies don't make drugs that cure . If they did they would be out of business !

Quote Originally Posted by oneenigma4u View Post
    I just ask , because I keep seeing reference to only FDA approved things . FDA approval use to mean something to me but not anymore ! With they're track record of approving drugs that KILL not less then 10,000 US citizens before be recalled . I don't have much faith in them . Not to mention the drugs they approve have worst side-effects then what there are ment to alleviate . Thats right alleviate only . Drug Companies don't make drugs that cure . If they did they would be out of business !
    what drug are you talking about?? Are you ranting about propecia?

If there weren't legally enforced standards for drug safety, you'd be looking at FAR more consumer deaths than a few thousand. In fact we were looking at exactly that situation in the 1800's and early 1900s.

You don't really need to trust the FDA; their requirements force companies to perform scientific studies that you can review yourself.
    It's true that drugs can have side effects, some of which we don't discover until long after they're released (typically because of how unusual they are). That's something everyone has to consider for themselves.
    Assuming you're referring to finasteride, I'll repeat what I keep saying it came down to for me: a few % chance of side effects (at which point I can quit the drug) vs. a 100% chance of losing more hair. Maybe I'm being superficial but it was an easy choice for me.

This is not about anyone drug in particular it's in general . As for a drug to point at "Vioxx" . As far as deaths go . As for Side-effects well just listen to the TV commercials or the drugs .

I get your concerns and don't mean to write them off. I just think we should keep in mind how much worse things were before the government started regulating medicine and food the way it does today.
    All the side effects listed in pharm ads are listed only because the law requires it. At one time, new drugs still had all kinds of side effects, but didn't need to own up to any of them. Companies didn't need to demonstrate that what they were selling was even safe, let alone effective.
    The FDA is run by humans so it will sometimes make bad calls and mistakes. To be on the safe side, review the studies yourself and weigh them in your own mind. Look into medical professional's comments on the studies (but always consider the source, because some educated people will say wacky things).

All things considered, I still much prefer FDA regulation to the "buyer beware" model when countless people would, e.g., buy a hot new pill on the market only to find out it destroyed their skeletons and killed them a year later. Despite that there were no bone-melting side effects printed on the bottle.

I am with you that someone needs to keeps others from selling us poison and talling us it good for you . I just don't have faith in the FDA to do the full job anymore .

Quote Originally Posted by oneenigma4u View Post
    I am with you that someone needs to keeps others from selling us poison and talling us it good for you . I just don't have faith in the FDA to do the full job anymore .
    The problem is not FDA, what it represents, does, regulates and what its supposed to do. It is the people that work in it that are obviously the problem.
    I mean big pharmaceutical companies can influence them.

There is always room for human error, but if you take neglect out of the equation all that is left is greed. Which is much worse and more contributing factor for playing with safety regulations of a drug.

That is why I don't trust FDA. However I am aware that to treat my diseases I am gonna have to take a leap of faith.