Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Follicle Death Row
    • May 2011

Originally posted by clandestine
    Question: Consider Gho is splitting hairs, rather than duplicating.
    Would this be more or less favourable than a typical FUE?

If the effect remains that one hair becomes two and there is no way of discerning either way (cosmetically speaking), whether being 'split' or 'duplicated', what's the big deal?

Perhaps I'm not understanding correctly, sorry if my question ended up a little confusing. I'm not very well versed in the science behind all this.
    You missed the important point here; that of multiplication. The problem is most of us do not have as much donor as we would like. If Gho is multiplying, he can for example take let's say 1000 3 haired follicular units and transplant them to the top of the head while they grow back in the donor. That would mean you have 1000 new grafts on top of your head or 3000 new hairs with all 1000 grafts and 3000 hairs growing back in the donor or close to, say 90%. That's something out of nothing effectively and sounds amazing.

The real concern here (one pointed out even by HT surgeons) is that Gho may be merely transecting or splitting hair follicles. Let's say you use small needles and split 1000 separate 3 haired follicular units and take 500 1s and 500 2s and transplant them. You've effectively moved 1000 grafts and or 1500 hairs. In the donor 500 2 hair FUs or left and 500 1 haired FUs. Therefore it is just follicle splitting and no new hair is created and the donor is depleted yet looking at the donor there is no visible scarring or bare spots as there is still hair there just thinned out. The unsuspecting patient could never say hey you split a 3 haired FU here and put 2 hairs up on the top of my head and left one here.

If he really is regenerating great. If not, your donor will be depleted and you will have a finite amount of donor still. Food for thought.

I bet you will never see a greater than 10,000 HST case. Dr. Feriduni has done 10,000+ FUE as has Dr. Jose Lorenzo so some people have that much donor available. Of course if Gho comes out with a 15,000 HST case then you can assume it's for real.

Comment

• Conpecia
      • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Follicle Death Row
      You missed the important point here; that of multiplication. The problem is most of us do not have as much donor as we would like. If Gho is multiplying, he can for example take let's say 1000 3 haired follicular units and transplant them to the top of the head while they grow back in the donor. That would mean you have 1000 new grafts on top of your head or 3000 new hairs with all 1000 grafts and 3000 hairs growing back in the donor or close to, say 90%. That's something out of nothing effectively and sounds amazing.

The real concern here (one pointed out even by HT surgeons) is that Gho may be merely transecting or splitting hair follicles. Let's say you use small needles and split 1000 separate 3 haired follicular units and take 500 1s and 500 2s and transplant them. You've effectively moved 1000 grafts and or 1500 hairs. In the donor 500 2 hair FUs or left and 500 1 haired FUs. Therefore it is just follicle splitting and no new hair is created and the donor is depleted yet looking at the donor there is no visible scarring or bare spots as there is still hair there just thinned out. The unsuspecting patient could never say hey you split a 3 haired FU here and put 2 hairs up on the top of my head and left one here.

If he really is regenerating great. If not, your donor will be depleted and you will have a finite amount of donor still. Food for thought.

I bet you will never see a greater than 10,000 HST case. Dr. Feriduni has done 10,000+ FUE as has Dr. Jose Lorenzo so some people have that much donor available. Of course if Gho comes out with a 15,000 HST case then you can assume it's for real.
      This is a little tangential, but what makes a good donor region? Is it simply thickness of hair? Or is it the type of hair as well? I have insanely thick hair in the back of my head, to the distress of every barber I've ever had, but it's essentially straight hair, a little wave when it gets longer but not curly or coarse. What's the optimal hair type? Do height and head size come into play?

Comment

• Follicle Death Row
        • May 2011

Originally posted by Conpecia
        This is a little tangential, but what makes a good donor region? Is it simply thickness of hair? Or is it the type of hair as well? I have insanely thick hair in the back of my head, to the distress of every barber I've ever had, but it's essentially straight hair, a little wave when it gets longer but not curly or coarse. What's the optimal hair type? Do height and head size come into play?
        High donor density for starters; as in greater than say 85 or 90 FU/cm2. Secondy no family history of norwood 7 would be good as would a high proportion of 2 hair and 3 hair follicular units. Even for advanced stages of baldness the universal donor zone maybe 7.5cm in height.

Straight hair is ideal for FUE extraction. As far as I believe black/dark brown straight hair tends to be the easiest to extract safely. Furthermore thicker hair shaft diameter is better for creating volume and the appearance of density so that must also contribute to good donor.

Also the dimensions of the head come into play somewhat. Large heads tend to yield more donor but then people tend to have to cover a bigger area of scalp when they bald also. However some people have great height in their donor zone due to the shape of the back of their head. See a guy called Sean who got 3000+ FUE with Dr. Rahal.

Disregarding cost, for some people with such a head of hair, it's not an exaggeration to say that even heading towards norwood 6 they may have a donor density of 95FU/cm2 and an area of 8cm x 32cm (256cm2). This would give a total of 24320 follicles in the donor zone. It may be possible over multiple procedures to extract 35% and this would therefore allow 8512 FU to be transplanted! Then consider again that some people may have more than the average 2.2 hairs per follicular unit at around 2.5 and you're looking at a big number of hairs.

However it make get better still for many that have favourable characteristics for FUE (not that I'm championing FUE as FUT yiled tends to be a little better in general) as the first 3000 grafts can be cherry picked for the best multiple haired FUs. Therefore they could be looking a (3000x3)+(5500x2.5) total of 22750 hairs transplanted.

Of course the worry with FUE may be that in trying to extract such great numbers the doctor may stray north of the safe zone where the crown can dip low. If a doctor is going aggressive in this regard and the patient is fully informed, I could only condone this hair going into the very centre of the crown so that if it did succumb to DHT down the line it would fall out from the whirl and just leave a small bald spot.

Hope that helps somewhat. Bear in mind that (imo at least) there's probably less than 10 FUE docs that are up to the task.

Comment

• Conpecia
          • Sep 2011

High donor density for starters; as in greater than say 85 or 90 FU/cm2. Secondy no family history of norwood 7 would be good as would a high proportion of 2 hair and 3 hair follicular units. Even for advanced stages of baldness the universal donor zone maybe 7.5cm in height.

Straight hair is ideal for FUE extraction. As far as I believe black/dark brown straight hair tends to be the easiest to extract safely. Furthermore thicker hair shaft diameter is better for creating volume and the appearance of density so that must also contribute to good donor.

Also the dimensions of the head come into play somewhat. Large heads tend to yield more donor but then people tend to have to cover a bigger area of scalp when they bald also. However some people have great height in their donor zone due to the shape of the back of their head. See a guy called Sean who got 3000+ FUE with Dr. Rahal.

Disregarding cost, for some people with such a head of hair, it's not an exaggeration to say that even heading towards norwood 6 they may have a donor density of 95FU/cm2 and an area of 8cm x 32cm (256cm2). This would give a total of 24320 follicles in the donor zone. It may be possible over multiple procedures to extract 35% and this would therefore allow 8512 FU to be transplanted! Then consider again that some people may have more than the average 2.2 hairs per follicular unit at around 2.5 and you're looking at a big number of hairs.

However it make get better still for many that have favourable characteristics for FUE (not that I'm championing FUE as FUT yiled tends to be a little better in general) as the first 3000 grafts can be cherry picked for the best multiple haired FUs. Therefore they could be looking a (3000x3)+(5500x2.5) total of 22750 hairs transplanted.

Of course the worry with FUE may be that in trying to extract such great numbers the doctor may stray north of the safe zone where the crown can dip low. If a doctor is going aggressive in this regard and the patient is fully informed, I could only condone this hair going into the very centre of the crown so that if it did succumb to DHT down the line it would fall out from the whirl and just leave a small bald spot.

Hope that helps somewhat. Bear in mind that (imo at least) there's probably less than 10 FUE docs that are up to the task.
          Wow, thanks man. Lots of good info here. It seems off the cuff that I may be a solid candidate for FUE, which is a good thing I suppose, though I'm right in that age group and balding "speed" where one has to consider simply waiting until 2015 or 16 to see what the new treatments bring to the table, if anything. Your last sentence perks my curiosity: is it a matter of technique or a matter of ethics?

Comment

• matlondon
            • Sep 2010

cant seem to open page 2 of this thread.

Comment

• Follicle Death Row
              • May 2011

Originally posted by Conpecia
              Wow, thanks man. Lots of good info here. It seems off the cuff that I may be a solid candidate for FUE, which is a good thing I suppose, though I'm right in that age group and balding "speed" where one has to consider simply waiting until 2015 or 16 to see what the new treatments bring to the table, if anything. Your last sentence perks my curiosity: is it a matter of technique or a matter of ethics?
              Both really. There once was a doc that was great with strip then when FUE came along he saw the potential $$$ and he charged like 3 times as much per graft and lashed in 80FU/cm2 hairlines and 3000+ megasessions into 50cm2 of scalp of young 20 something year olds. Results were hit and miss. When it worked he hit one out of the park and the result looked amazing but the patients would have to be eating propecia by the bucket load and hoping hairloss didn't progress too far as the donor reserves had depleted. When it didn't work, the results were awful.

Then there was a company that used an implanter pen to do massive FUE sessions in one day. Results were awful. I've only seen one doc who mastered the Choi implanter pen.

I don't want to go mentioning names but a quick search will unearth these guys.

Comment

• Follicle Death Row
                • May 2011

Also, no harm in waiting it out at least until the end of phase 2 for the likes of Aderans and Replicel to see where they're at. They should be wrapping those up next year (well maybe 2014 for Replicel).

Comment

• NeedHairASAP
                  • Jul 2011

when you pluck a hair, it grows back. This is because the cells around the bottom and sides stay in the skin. These are the cells that Gho targets some of.

Personally, I think it would be MUCH harder to consistently "split hairs" over and over and over and over. This seems much less likely the situation, than Gho using the above scientific truth: that a plucked hair regrows.

It's completely scientifically plausible that if somebody could do what Gho says he is doing, then he would be multiplying hairs. No doctor will argue that if you could leave some of the cells around the bottom behind, then you would have regrowth.

Comment

• Follicle Death Row
                    • May 2011

Originally posted by NeedHairASAP
                    when you pluck a hair, it grows back. This is because the cells around the bottom and sides stay in the skin. These are the cells that Gho targets some of.

Personally, I think it would be MUCH harder to consistently "split hairs" over and over and over and over. This seems much less likely the situation, than Gho using the above scientific truth: that a plucked hair regrows.

It's completely scientifically plausible that if somebody could do what Gho says he is doing, then he would be multiplying hairs. No doctor will argue that if you could leave some of the cells around the bottom behind, then you would have regrowth.
                    Not splitting hairs but follicles and Gho is doing that but he claims they're growing back.

Comment

• NeedHairASAP
                      • Jul 2011

Not splitting hairs but follicles and Gho is doing that but he claims they're growing back.
                      I meant splitting follicles.... splitting follicles precisely and consistently, to me, seems less likely and harder to do than what Gho claims he is doing (regenerating)

I feel like people are accusing him of something thats even less plausible than what he is claiming and to me that is funny

Comment

• Seb89
                        • Feb 2012

Apparently gho did sneijders hair. Which does to be fair look amazing to what it was.

Wesley Sneijder is a Dutch midfielder, regarded as one of the best football players in the world. Here is the teenage Sneijder smouldering i...

Comment

• Follicle Death Row
                          • May 2011

Originally posted by NeedHairASAP
                          I meant splitting follicles.... splitting follicles precisely and consistently, to me, seems less likely and harder to do than what Gho claims he is doing (regenerating)

I feel like people are accusing him of something thats even less plausible than what he is claiming and to me that is funny
                          He definitely is splitting or transecting follicles. It's detailed in his papers. He's just claiming that if he splits a 3 haired follicle and plants 2 hairs in the recipient not only will they grow but the 2 extracted will also grow back in the donor meaning a net gain of 2 new hairs. Sounds great but I'm not yet completely convinced that's what consistently happens.

Comment

• gc83uk
                            • Nov 2011

He definitely is splitting or transecting follicles. It's detailed in his papers. He's just claiming that if he splits a 3 haired follicle and plants 2 hairs in the recipient not only will they grow but the 2 extracted will also grow back in the donor meaning a net gain of 2 new hairs. Sounds great but I'm not yet completely convinced that's what consistently happens.
                            Sounds great is an understatement, it sounds fantastic.

Comment

• damielmillo
                              • May 2011

Hi gc83uk, do you have any picture of update??
                              Are you happy with the results?

Comment

• Jan 2012

this is so dumb....
                                Gho does not have access to hair cloning.
                                He cannot increase the number of hairs on your head.
                                He is simply moving hair from the back of your head to the front. This is just a regular hair transplant.

Comment

Working...