+ Reply to Thread

Exclamation unoperable areas?

I recently did an email evaluation with one of the top doctors on this website. I have some thinning and hair loss at the temples and kind of the top/side of my head and I was hoping to get them filled in. A friend of the family plastic surgeon said he would be able to fill them in, but I declined as it's not his specialty.

In the evaluation of my possible hair transplant the surgeon said these areas that "should not be transplanted", he declined to give me a reason. When I asked him why he said he'd rather discuss it in person and I left it at that.

I'm curious as to a couple of things. He's a well respected doctor on these forums so I will trust his opinion, but I'd also like to get answers being that I'm far away from him and don't feel like traveling just for him to tell me what he cannot do.

Can anyone venture a guess as to why these areas are not transplantable? Also is it worth my while to seek a 2nd opinion?

Thanks much, this is my first post but I've been lurking for several months.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	cropfront.jpg

Size:	99.2 KB
ID:	13114   Click image for larger version

Name:	cropside.jpg

Size:	99.8 KB
ID:	13115  

i think it's always a good idea to get at least a second opinion. i don't know if you're on meds, your age, or anything else about your case, but his reason(s) for not wanting to do a transplant could be any number of reasons.

The main reason being that you don’t need a hair transplant and it would be irresponsible for any ethical HT surgeon to lower your hairline to where you have indicated you would prefer it.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick777 View Post
    Can anyone venture a guess as to why these areas are not transplantable? Also is it worth my while to seek a 2nd opinion?
    The reason is because you do not need a hair transplant. The doctor can transplant in those areas - but the risks of surgery outweigh the possible benefit. You have a normal, natural mature male hair line. This is one of the physical traits that differ between males and females. Unless the patient is transgendered, ethical doctors generally will not transplant into these areas.

Well the main reason many HT surgeons are hesitant about filling in the temples is probably because you may recede further and thin in the areas beyond the hairline leaving quite an awkward look, full hairline with sparse hair behind it.

It could be done but it's risky and honestly, it looks like you have a great head of hair and your minor temple loss could be perfectly concealed just by styling a bit differently.

Actors and those in the entertainment industry might consider having such a procedure done.

If you were insistent on going through with it you'd need to have your scalp mapped for miniaturization to ensure that there was no significant thinning beyond the hairline.

One option you could consider is minox, as it might promote temple regrowth.

Thanks guys for the answers. I'm 41 and currently on 5% rogaine 2x/day, I'm also on HRT. I was hoping to fill in these areas with the assumption that in several years I would have to revisit surgery for whatever recedes in the future.

So you guys are saying I'm basically out of luck and live with it until it gets worse?

So you guys are saying I'm basically out of luck and live with it until it gets worse?
    It may not get worse. It may stay that way for many years. The point is it doesn't look bad or even out of the ordinary for a male. Look at other males around you who are not yet losing their hair. You are pretty much the norm. Really, what you have is a natural and normal mature male hair line.

Lightbulb

Thanks guys for the answers. I'm 41 and currently on 5% rogaine 2x/day, I'm also on HRT. I was hoping to fill in these areas with the assumption that in several years I would have to revisit surgery for whatever recedes in the future.

You're 41? You have very minimal hair loss for your age. You could have an FUE to fill in the temples, but you'd have to make sure you're not thinning anywhere else and find a reputable surgeon who can work out a long term plan you both agree on.

I have to say though it is risky and the risk may outweigh the reward. You have better hair than most men your age!