+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by DAVE52 View Post
    You appear to lose patience quite easily
    Actually no. It was quite late when I was participating here last night and my patience was already thin to begin with from another member who was dishing out a boat load of BS tin foil hat talk. When this OP started up with his own tin foil hat talk I was simply done talking to him. He is clearly unwilling to accept reality and my time was better spent getting some sleep than trying to help someone who is too contaminated with disinformation to be helped.

Inactive

Winston, You mentioned wasted time and money. Well, correct me if I'm wrong, but both minox and propecia involve time & money in lifetime terms, so hardly do they deserve to be called the cure for baldness either, and both carry significant potential hazards comparing to anything else.

They too take months to years to show significant results and hardly work for all. If I have to wait that long, use them for life and gamble with side effects, then from my perspective testing out similar natural compounds like beta sitosterol, msm etc. doesn't feel as bad alternative to try out and hope for the best.

I btw. am not persuading anyone to follow my example, and I believe everyone should follow what they believe is the best and safest way to regrow their hair.

And thanks Dave, I agree, a little more compassion wouldn't hurt. If nothing we all here suffer from the same problem, and as I said, we should exchange thoughts and ideas, experiences and results, instead of trying to impose singularity.

Good luck in whatever you choose

I personally don't belive there are any natural remedies that will stop, slow down or encourage hair growth . If there was we wouldn't be here

As other have recommened FDA approved minoxidil and propecia may slow down and encourage growth but you have to take them for the rest of your life . Once you stop hairloss will resume
    Although some people , myself included , did experience the side effects and ceased taking the drug . It wasn't worth it IMO . As much as I wanted hair I also wanted certain parts of the body to function

HT - I look at those people with exceptional reults ( ex Spex & Joetronic ) and they had upwarsd of 4, 5 ,6 ( ? ) HT's

If I could offer any advice , as much as I wish I could follow my own advice , buzz it and get used to it buzzed .

Hairloss sucks
    If it's destined to happen , it will happen .
    We will never be able to get that full head of hair that we had as teenagers .
    A HT performed by good doc will give the illusional of a full of head of hair but the real density will never be there IMO

Good luck

For the OP,

The truth is readily available to you and easy to find. The link is over there on the right. Just in case you are missing it for whatever reason, here it is:

http://www.americanhairloss.org/

On the off chance that you are willing to accept real evidence, here is a link to before and after photos of men who have used the two proven medications for their hair loss:

http://www.bernsteinmedical.com/medi...atient-photos/

You will never find honest legitimate before and after photos such as these of men who have used natural "treatments". It is very important that you know that this doctor is required to be honest and ethical about before and after photos to maintain his status as a member of the American Hair Loss Association and the IAHRS. These two organizations are patient advocacy organizations.

Inactive

Thanks Dave, You too.

For me, its not as much as problem of slowing down or stopping the process, it feels like where I was bald or thinning years ago, its pretty much the same today.. I don't notice any rapid progression. Major problem is regrowth itself.. the tiny colourless hair I have in bald spots simply don't grow nor get the colour of the rest of the healthy hair.

Side effects aside for a moment, problem with both FDA meds & natural remedies is also consistency. To be fair, even with natural remedies I was often bored and quit before time if no results are visible. And it all takes months if not years to see the results.

I don't want to gain hair and loose health in other department either. Your example tells a lot Dave. I wonder how many percent of people have quit due to side effects ? I mean, doctors and manufacturers by default show good results and success photos but the percentage of side effects and damage is rarely displayed along success photos.

I believe good hair transplant is good stuff. Sadly, best doctors and full transplants can end up with final cost of tens of thousands, something I cannot afford at this point in time. And as I said - bad doctor and cheap transplant with not enough grafts to achieve full density.. well thats not the solution either.

Inactive

I've opened a separate thread to ask if anyone might have tried infrared massagers for hair loss. That laser comb thing is said to be FDA approved, still its expensive and many dispute the benefits.. Has anyone tried it and could cheap infrared replacement have any benefits ? Essentially, massager as such can't hurt for hair loss, the only question is if infrared light comparing to laser can add up in any way ?

I feel the same way as you stressedtothebald.

I don't want to be bald and impotent and then die of a heart attack, my lifes crap enough as it is. I also have no confidence that Minoxidil, Propecia, etc work.

Apparently 40-50% of people maintain their hair if they use these medications!!!!

That means if tried Minoxidil I have a 40-50% chance of stopping my hair loss. And if that didn't work then I could try Propecia which has the same 40-50% chance of stopping my hairloss. Almost a 50-50 chance either way, that equates to a good chance of me keeping my hair.......apparently, yet I still see bald men everywhere and don't see these medications being talked up about in the media, in adverts etc (although Minoxidil has an advert now). I am not going to rule out they don't work in some cases but it baffles me that if they claim to be that successful why are they pretty much unknown to the general public, everyone, even people with hair would know about them if they were that good.

Also slapping a sticky, strong smelling, dangerous, and expensive liquid on your head every day, especially when you have longish hair is not fun, does not look good and makes you feel like even more of an idiot and a bit of a mug.

If you feel very negative about your hair, save up for a hair transplant, do what is necessary to save the money you need. Otherwise try to live with it. I have decided I cannot live with it and I am going down the transplant route.

At least there is clear evidence that HT's work these days.

Inactive

Its true, the potential of trading baldness for impotence or heart problem at some point in the future ain't a fair trade to begin with. As I have written in my first post - I had experience with a very powerful drug in my 20s called accutane(isotretinoin), I remember beeing on it on very high doses for maybe even 7 months, and although it did pretty much cure my skin problem, well not 100% but I'll say cured anyway, I believe this drug might have played a major role in speeding up my male pattern baldness and has likely left side effects in terms of increased depression etc... Quote:"Adverse drug reactions associated with isotretinoin therapy include:Common: temporary or permanent hair thinning (this could start or continue after treatment)". I can't prove it, but thats what it feels like. Many of the drugs, FDA approved, carry side effects and its easy to cure one problem only to end up with another, thats why I give my vote to natural stuff before anything else.. Yes, the chances of success are smaller and indeed 99% of supposed naturals really don't work, but if You are lucky to get that 1% to work at least to some degree, then we could avoid both dangerous side effects and high costs of FDA drugs.

And I stand with my thoughts regarding pharmaceutical industry - they are driven by profits, not humanity. With all advances in science and medicine, we still don't have proper cures for many many health problems. Hair loss industry alone turns over billions of dollars each year. Its hardly in anyone's interest in this industry to find a one time cure, let alone to develop natural cure that cannot be patented. Anyone with 2 brain cells in them is well aware of this.

Chances 40-50% are not in our favour either. And add to that the fact of lifetime maintanance, costs etc. And the worse one is on the Norwood scale, the more time it takes. Even on those proof photos of finasteride and minox success - I can see 1+ or 2+ years of constant usage and still a good number of patients who started with bad case of baldness, still have visible areas that are bald or thinning. After 2+ years, better but not cured, simply feels not good enough.

I'd go for the transplant too and maybe at some point in the future I will be able to afford it. Let me know Your procedure went and overall number of grafts and costs. Also I see surgeons tend to prescribe minox and propecia after the procedure - I'd like to know if Your doctor will do the same and if You will use any of those after the transplant. I'd go for the maximum number of grafts, the greater the density, the better it looks - plus if some of old hairs fall out, it would still be less noticable with more hairs transplanted.

Well I am going to try to get the best surgeon I can and make sure I get it done as full and as dense as possible.

By the sounds of things from what I have heard....surgeons recommend Propecia. As you know I am skeptical of this medication, but I will possibly give it a try, it is supposed to work better for hair on top of the head/crown which is the hair I need to keep.

I definately do not want to become impotent though and I don't think my heart is too good anyway with all the stress I go through each day...I keep getting these short aching pains where my heart is which I should probably go to the doctor about. When I last saw my doctor she checked by blood pressure and it was high......so I am guessing the stress of hairloss has caused that to an already anxious person.

I am still researching into Hair Transplants and plan to get some consultations done in the next few weeks. So a long way to go, hopefully if I do go through with it I will book it within the next month and get it done in April/May.

The whole thing is pretty scary...the money...and fitting it around work.

Inactive

Its one in a lifetime operation, I agree, best surgeon & max. density would be my pick too. Sadly it must cost a small fortune, but better to pay more than pay less and regret it for the rest of Your life. Btw. I'd go for that individual hair graft transplant method - its more expensive but I believe much better than the other one - which includes cutting the larger skin area from the back of Your head - that one is cheaper but I'd never go for it as among things it can lead to serious tissue scarring, which I am very prone to.

They sadly seem to recommend propecia.. Anyway maybe there are alternatives. I'd like to know what Your doctor will tell You and You should mention that You have heart/pressure condition.. worst case scenario, if Your doctor insists on it, maybe you can ask to go only with 0.5mg every 2nd day or something - if nothing else that should reduce risks of serious side effects. And hopefuly he won't tell You anything like 'You'll have to use propecia for the rest of your life..'

Keep me updated about the results and overall process.
    Finding the best and dedicated surgeon is the greatest initial challenge I think.