Efficacy of Hair Loss Medications on the Front of the Scalp - Page 5 - BaldTruthTalk.com
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5
Results 41 to 48 of 48
  1. #41
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    341

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 25 going on 65 View Post


    The methodology was 3 individuals assessing color photographs of the patients, and the study does not display the photos (except a select few). I am confident finasteride can maintain hair counts on the crown and anterior mid scalp for 10 years. I am not confident that it can maintain temple and hairline hair counts for 10 years "in most men" because the only evidence for this is in the Rossi study, which did not obtain hair counts at all (instead we have 3 people saying it "looked maintained" based on photographs), has never had its results reproduced elsewhere, did not show its photos for anyone else to assess, and is not backed up by any anecdote (if you know of one I look forward to seeing it....we have many showing the opposite, including by people who have a very positive view of fin)
    Studies showing eg maintained crown hair are numerous, used large samples with control groups, took actual hair counts, and are backed by countless anecdotes.
    Is it possible that most men can maintain hair in all scalp regions for 10+ years on fin? Maybe. but I am not convinced at this time. I hope you now understand why and do not feel angered by that.
    Those "many showing the opposite" actually report very minor, unnoticeable recession of their temples after a very long time on finasteride. Furthermore, it is logical that people, who are visibly above baseline, can't lose the hair that they had at the beginning.

  2. #42
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    1,479

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by WarLord View Post
    LOL Really? "You cannot maintain"? I did.
    If you are being honest about your experience on minoxidil, then you do not have hereditary hair loss.

    Quote Originally Posted by WarLord View Post
    These claims are completely fabricated. You have nothing to support this. An anti-hairloss treatment doesn't have to address DHT to be effective.
    At this point your argument is not with me, but with hair loss specialists with medical degrees.
    Minoxidil does not prevent MPB.

    Quote Originally Posted by WarLord View Post
    Those "many showing the opposite" actually report very minor, unnoticeable recession of their temples after a very long time on finasteride.
    If they notice it, it is noticeable.

    Quote Originally Posted by WarLord View Post
    people, who are visibly above baseline, can't lose the hair that they had at the beginning.
    I am not convinced that the majority of participants were visibly above baseline re: hairline and temples. The three individuals assessing the photos report they were. I would like to see the pictures myself, and of course obtaining hair counts would be better
    If the results of this study are ever reproduced elsewhere I will be more confident in the claims

    You obviously have very strong feelings about this and will not agree with me. That is OK. Good luck in the future.

  3. #43
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    341

    Default

    If you are being honest about your experience on minoxidil, then you do not have hereditary hair loss.


    At this point your argument is not with me, but with hair loss specialists with medical degrees.
    Minoxidil does not prevent MPB.

    You are continuously inventing things that disagree with both anecdotal evidence and available long-term surveys. This is a fallacy that is not based on any evidence. Can you think logically at all? How can minoxidil regrow hair lost due to MPB, if it doesn't do anything against MPB???

    By the way, what about the stuff suppressing PGD2 in the scalp? Why do these fools investigate prostaglandins and not androgens?


    I am not convinced that the majority of participants were visibly above baseline re: hairline and temples. The three individuals assessing the photos report they were. I would like to see the pictures myself, and of course obtaining hair counts would be better
    If the results of this study are ever reproduced elsewhere I will be more confident in the claims

    You obviously have very strong feelings about this and will not agree with me. That is OK. Good luck in the future.

    And I don't know, what is your business here. Are you the director of the League of Balding Men? Do you need new members, who would give up available treatments?

  4. #44
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    1,479

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by WarLord View Post
    You are continuously inventing things that disagree with both anecdotal evidence and available long-term surveys. This is a fallacy that is not based on any evidence. Can you think logically at all? How can minoxidil regrow hair lost due to MPB, if it doesn't do anything against MPB???
    I did not say minoxidil does nothing. Minoxidil forces hair to grow where it otherwise would not, or grow thicker than it otherwise would. Your follicles continue to miniaturize and MPB continues to progress, however your hair count will be higher than it otherwise would be at each (for example) 6 month interval. In other words it provides a cosmetic result in spite of your genetic condition, rather than preventing the condition from progressing.
    I am not unique by making these statements. This is the standard description of minoxidil's effects on this forum and also by hair loss specialists. If you feel we are in error, consider posting relevant studies in a new thread to possibly change the public perception

    Quote Originally Posted by WarLord View Post
    By the way, what about the stuff suppressing PGD2 in the scalp? Why do these fools investigate prostaglandins and not androgens?
    Not familiar enough with PGD2 to comment.


    Quote Originally Posted by WarLord View Post
    And I don't know, what is your business here. Are you the director of the League of Balding Men? Do you need new members, who would give up available treatments?
    I use finasteride and ketoconazole shampoo.

  5. #45
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    341

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 25 going on 65 View Post
    I did not say minoxidil does nothing. Minoxidil forces hair to grow where it otherwise would not, or grow thicker than it otherwise would. Your follicles continue to miniaturize and MPB continues to progress, however your hair count will be higher than it otherwise would be at each (for example) 6 month interval. In other words it provides a cosmetic result in spite of your genetic condition, rather than preventing the condition from progressing.
    I am not unique by making these statements. This is the standard description of minoxidil's effects on this forum and also by hair loss specialists. If you feel we are in error, consider posting relevant studies in a new thread to possibly change the public perception.
    Yes, minoxidil doesn't prevent the attack of hair follicles by DHT. If you quit minoxidil, you will be very quickly in the state, where you would have been without minoxidil (which means that you could go from NW1.5 to NW5 within several months). So, hair preserved by minoxidil is a "zombie hair". But the most important thing is that minoxidil keeps the hair in the growing phase, possibly by increasing the levels of PGE2 (which counterbalances the negative effect of PGD2).

    In short, the attack of hair follicles by DHT leads to a chain of chemical reactions, whose result is a "dead" follicle. But it doesn't matter, what a part of this chain you block by an anti-hairloss treatment. You can start at the beginning (by blocking DHT), in the middle (by decreasing PGD2), or at the end (by increasing PGE2).

  6. #46
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    1,479

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by WarLord View Post
    Yes, minoxidil doesn't prevent the attack of hair follicles by DHT. If you quit minoxidil, you will be very quickly in the state, where you would have been without minoxidil (which means that you could go from NW1.5 to NW5 within several months). So, hair preserved by minoxidil is a "zombie hair". But the most important thing is that minoxidil keeps the hair in the growing phase, possibly by increasing the levels of PGE2 (which counterbalances the negative effect of PGD2).

    In short, the attack of hair follicles by DHT leads to a chain of chemical reactions, whose result is a "dead" follicle. But it doesn't matter, what a part of this chain you block by an anti-hairloss treatment. You can start at the beginning (by blocking DHT), in the middle (by decreasing PGD2), or at the end (by increasing PGE2).
    I see what you're saying. Good explanation.
    Question....when you say minoxidil "keeps hair in the growing phase," you mean it makes hair able to regrow after the telogen phase, right? (ie the hair still goes through the usual anagen/catagen/telogen phases) As opposed to preventing the hair from entering catagen/telogen?

  7. #47
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    165

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by WarLord View Post
    If you feel that it is not as effective as it should be, then you should add something to your regimen.
    Actually I did more than to add something, I started Dut. It's the 4th month so I cannot really tell the difference. Apart from that I use Nizo twice a week (some weeks once). I will never use Minox again. I do not argue that it is good for the majority but it is not the thing for me. My hair took a big hit in 7 moths with minox. A thing about minox, when I applied the liquid it would somehow drip and flow all the way to my left eyebrow (always the left one I don't know why), and I would just rub it with my finger and some months later there was a bald spot on my eyebrow!!

  8. #48
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    23

    Default

    Warlord that was pretty genius. So basically with nizoral or current treatments like finasteride we are attacking DHT. How do do we attack the middle of the chain or the end. Minox would be one of the only ways then?

Similar Threads

  1. Terrible scalp itch and hair loss
    By Thinning@30 in forum Men's Hair Loss: Start Your Own Topic
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 08-01-2011, 06:19 AM
  2. Finasteride or Dutasteride Efficacy
    By KeepHoping in forum Men's Hair Loss: Start Your Own Topic
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-07-2011, 07:05 AM
  3. Medications may be reducing effectiveness of Propecia?
    By pc97200 in forum Hair Transplant: Start Your Own Topic
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 10-15-2010, 02:25 PM
  4. Hair Loss in Front
    By Biggy in forum Introduce Yourself & Share Your Story
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 05-24-2010, 07:25 PM
  5. Genes May Predict Treatment Efficacy For Women Suffering With Hair Loss
    By tbtadmin in forum The Bald Truth: Show Archives
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-02-2010, 04:20 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

» IAHRS

hair transplant surgeons

» The Bald Truth

» Recent Threads

Am I a norwood 3v?
Today 03:32 PM
by Jimmy87
Last Post By Jimmy87
Today 03:32 PM
What is the MOST gentle shampoo?
07-01-2015 09:57 PM
Last Post By Avind1945
Today 11:30 AM
Deserve firm erection? Move to fildena
Today 03:53 AM
Last Post By fildenaus
Today 03:53 AM
Wanted advice on a good haircut style
05-26-2019 10:00 AM
Last Post By aboperdnom
Yesterday 11:31 PM