+ Reply to Thread

Default Rogaine Foam losing its effectiveness???

Hey,

I decided to take the dive into Rogaine Foam a year and a half ago. I was skeptical, but I gave it a whirl. There was dramatic shedding for the first three months, I documented everything. I made absolutely sure I made two applications per day, morning and night and took Avodart (I was on avodart for years prior). I used to soak my head in warm water to open my pores, semi-towel dry, then apply the foam. Months 4-6 were without a doubt, miraculous results, I even laughed in the mirror as hair on my forehead was growing thick, black hairs. ALL of the thinning in my frontal area was thick and it didn't matter how I styled my hair, it looked like I was in my early 20's again (I'm now in my early 30's). Needless to say, I was completely elated and I was very confident.

To make a long story short, 8-12 months the shedding started again, at 16 months I'm back to my baseline and very disappointed. Has anyone had similar results? Does Rogaine lose it's effectiveness?

My treatments at the time: Avodart .5mg, Nizoral 3 times a week, Rogaine foam

Ive yet to start using rogaine so I cannot answer your question however do not use nizoral more than twice per week because it will do more harm than good! I use it only on Mondays and Thursdays personally.

You are using Nizoral too often. If you are using the 2% strength, you should only be using that once per week unless a doctor has specifically told you to use it more often than that. If you are using the 1% strength, you can use that up to twice per week unless a doctor has specifically told you to use it more often than that. Nizoral helps a lot of people but over using Nizoral can make hair loss worse.

During my first two years of treating my hair loss, I went through three separate periods of shedding. Each time my hair grew back a little thicker than it was before.

Quote Originally Posted by Tracy C View Post
    You are using Nizoral too often. If you are using the 2% strength, you should only be using that once per week unless a doctor has specifically told you to use it more often than that. If you are using the 1% strength, you can use that up to twice per week unless a doctor has specifically told you to use it more often than that. Nizoral helps a lot of people but over using Nizoral can make hair loss worse.

During my first two years of treating my hair loss, I went through three separate periods of shedding. Each time my hair grew back a little thicker than it was before.

Understandable, but if when I was using 1% Nizoral three times a week with everything else in my treatment and had great results, why would it all of the sudden change?

Maybe you are just have another period of shedding. As I sad, I had three during my first two years of treatment.