+ Reply to Thread

Question My introduction and request for advice

I am 22 and used to have very thick hair. Over the past couple years however it has started receding and thinning and perhaps about 6 months ago it got to the stage where I decided action was required.

I was referred to a dermatologist who prescribed me propecia. I read all about the side effects online and decided against taking it. Then I had a long term relationship breakdown, had some comments about my thinning hair, and so used the prescription. I took propecia for 6 weeks and really noticed it was working, but after realising I was no longer getting morning erections I was scared off the medication. I had an embarassing sexual encounter about a week after stopping the medication but anyway I count myself lucky that my post-finasteride syndrome pretty much cured itself after about 4 weeks. Others are not so lucky.

About 4 weeks after stopping, I left on a 3 week overseas trip without any balding treatments (I was just happy to get over the propecia side effects at this stage). During this trip, my hair started shedding drastically and my hair is now very thin on top and you can see my scalp through it for the first time Hair is also falling out when I shampoo, gel, touch, rub...

I spoke to my GP and he suggested minoxidil and also referred me to a cosmetic surgeon. The cosmetic surgeon recommended PRP for me, but reading online I have not found many positive long term results and it would cost around $4,000 over 4 months. It is tempting just to go with that and the surgeon was not pushy at all and encouraged me to go home and think about it. He also said he has seen very good results and showed me some amazing before and after photos of his own patients, but it is a lot of money to waste if it does not work. He thinks I am too young for a hair transplant, which said would cost between $8,000 and $20,0000 (AUD).

So I am left wondering what is the next step for me? I will never go on finasteride again. I bought 5% generic minoxidil today am thinking I may just have to give this a go. I have seen people taking strengths of up to 15%... is 5% enough? I am worried to go to such a high strength as I don't want to experience any more distressing side effects, but I need my hair back! Are there any other treatments I should consider in conjunction? Maybe I should just try the PRP? It feels like its shedding so fast that I feel like I will be bald within 3 months.

Any advice would be very much appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by rupe View Post
    Any advice would be very much appreciated.
    Since you are unable to take anything to treat the cause of your hair loss, you are fighting an uphill battle. Rogaine (or generic Minoxidil) and possibly low level laser therapy may help to some degree. However, they can only do so much and they are working against a very strong foe. Maybe you should learn how to come to terms with your hair loss and just get on with your life.

Quote Originally Posted by Tracy C View Post
    Since you are unable to take anything to treat the cause of your hair loss, you are fighting an uphill battle. Rogaine (or generic Minoxidil) and possibly low level laser therapy may help to some degree. However, they can only do so much and they are working against a very strong foe. Maybe you should learn how to come to terms with your hair loss and just get on with your life.
    I am unable to take finasteride. The only way to save your hair is to take finasteride?

Quote Originally Posted by rupe View Post
    I am unable to take finasteride. The only way to save your hair is to take finasteride?
    Treating the cause of hereditary hair loss is the most important thing if you want to save your hair. If you cannot take anything to treat the cause of your hair loss, you need to learn how to come to terms with your hair loss and get on with your life.

Quote Originally Posted by Tracy C View Post
    Treating the cause of hereditary hair loss is the most important thing if you want to save your hair. If you cannot take anything to treat the cause of your hair loss, you need to learn how to come to terms with your hair loss and get on with your life.
    Great. I disagree. I will try to keep optimistic and remember that people do get results from things like minoxidil, and there is the opportunity for a transplant if it comes to that.