+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Default 2000 Grafts Plus 400 Free Grafts With Dr. Feller. NY.

Hello guys. I posted my experience with Dr. Feller on another forum but as I have these forums to thank for lots of my research I want to contribute here too. Below is my account of my first HT on Monday gone.

Like most guys I noticed a tiny bit of hair loss in mid to late 20s which got worse nearer to 30. I started Finestride and managed to stabilise that (I'm nearly 33 now). Around that time I almost booked a HT with a UK clinic with virtually no research but due to forums such as this one and the clinic having a particularly unlikable salesman I managed to avoid that one. Over the last few years I have been strongly considering a HT and last year decided to take the plunge. I had online consultations with some of the top guys and then finally got in touch with spex.

I am aware that this is probably going to sound more like a love letter than a write up but I can not say enough good things about Spex. For one I have never known anyone as efficient at replying to texts, calls and emails. No matter what the question, or how many questions there were he always gets back immediately which really helps put your mind to rest. On top of that, although he is passionate about Dr. Fellers work he made no attempt to try and "Hard Sell" me at all. In fact, the first thing he said was that both of the surgeons I was considering were great and would do a top job. This was a real contrast to the HT salespeople I had spoken to in the past. I decided that having that contact and Dr. Fellers countless, consistently good results made him the choice for me.

On Monday I got to the Docs office and met him at 7:45. He said that I was really displaying a masterful combover and at first glance it didn't look like I needed a HT at all : ) It wasn't until I pulled my hair back that the true story showed. Originally I wanted to go really aggressive with the hairline filling in the temples too (as I imagine most people would want to in a perfect world). The doc however explained to me that I had a decent amount of miniaturisation on the hairs back in my head and that I would be better off using my grafts to increase the density further back, thus saving further HT's in the future. He also said I maybe want to consider more grafts which was unfortunately not possible due to financial reasons (I had paid for 2000). At this point I was feeling pretty down which I am pretty sure the Dr. Feller could tell. He then explained to me that we could easily work around the centre of my hair (which will be the last to go) and still achieve maximum density. This really made me feel a lot better and much more at ease. He then drew the hairline on and again I thought it looked good. I must say that Dr. Feller has a very good way of a) explaining things in a very straightforward way and B) making you feel completely at ease with what is happening. He has a rare quality of making you feel very comfortable that you are in the hands of a professional but at the same time relaxing you with a few jokes and a casual manner. By the time we got in the operating room my original concerns had subsided and Dr. Feller had assured me we could really increase the density around the hairline. He showed me some other examples of what we could aim for and explained how we will be using state of the art techniques to achieve maximum density.

My head was shaved and I was administered the numbing injections which didn't bother me in slightest. I have many many tattoos so needles are no biggy. The doc worked around the back of my head with the technician and within about 20 mins he said "right done". I literally felt nothing. So little so that I was unaware of when he was working or not. All through this part of the procedure I chatted to Dr. Feller, telling jokes, talking about random day-to-day things and even touching on a bit of politics. It was all very casual and I felt completely at ease.

Next up Dr. Feller made the incisions in the top of my head. For this part he explained that he would not be talking as he needed maximum concentration. This was fine with me and I had a little snooze. Again I had no real idea when he was working or not other than the strange sound which is hard to describe unless you have had a HT. Again this part felt quite quick. Maybe 45 mins if that.

Next up the technicians place the grafts into my head. I am pretty sure not enough gets said about the technicians because they really were excellent. At one point I was struggling to sit still as I thought I just had a stiff neck. Without me saying anything one of the technicians explained that she could see I was struggling. I told her that it was just cause I had a stiff neck. She explained that although I thought it was that it was a stiff neck, it was probably a little pain from the staples. She adjusted something and instantly I felt great again. She obviously knew what she was talking about. I chatted to all of the technicians throughout the whole procedure. One of them, had some free credit for a European airline which had to be used by January and she even offered to give me it. They really had a great bedside manner and again I felt completely at ease.

Here is the good bit. Once the grafts had been placed, Dr feller came back in and explained that he had been able to harvest another 400 grafts on top of the initial 2000 and that if I wanted he could also shave down the middle bit and place these grafts for free, thus eradicating the need for another procedure in the near future. I really couldn't believe it and I was massively grateful. I think that the doc understands how much this affects peoples lives being a HT patient himself and genuinely wants to help. He also explained that if he makes me look good I then make him look good which is bang on really. I can not thank him enough for this though and I massively appreciate the generosity. He shaved some more, made the other 400 incisions and the technicians planted the grafts. All of this went quite quickly and the whole thing was finished before 14:30.

(Ah yeah. They also got me a sandwich for lunch and the roast beef on wholemeal I had was really good. Nice rare beef thinly sliced with tomato and mustard : )

Finally I was given all of the aftercare instructions, some medication, a tool to remove the staples and a baseball cap. The doctor showed me some of my photos and away I went with my new HT. I also received an email from Spex the next day wishing me well and telling me how the doctor had said the procedure went well.

Ultimately I had a first class experience with Spex and all of the staff at Feller medical and I would definitely recommend them.

Now here comes the hard part eh? Best get remastering that combover because there is a lot more area to combover now

If anyone has any questions about going to NY please hit me up. I can remember lots about the transport, hotel, where I ate out, the food I bought in etc.

Some pre op pics by me

And 2 days post op with a swollen head : )

Thanks for taking the time to make such a thorough post. Dr. Feller does great work! He used to be on The Bald Truth a lot, but I haven't heard him on the show for a couple of years. He’s very funny. I’m in New York and when I decide to go for it Feller is on the top of my list. Your transplant looks like it’s going to turn out great! Please keep us updated.

Thanks. I will deffo keep updated with pics every month or so.

I am very confident your going to have an excellent result Spreadlocks.

Keep us posted with your progress.

Patience is essential for this process, but you need have no worries as you were in the hands of one of the best around.

Thank you Chrisdav. I am feeling a lot more positive today and the "weird" kind of feeling has sort of subsided : )

Looks like you will have great results.

I'm curious, did he give you the option to shave your whole head? And would the shaving be necessary if you were thinner on top?

Hi Spreadlocks,

I can't see it from your pre-op pics, but you were obviously thinning in the mid scalp, as Dr.Feller placed grafts there too. I like the fact that Dr.Feller placed grafts there as well, as it doesn't look like it was necessary from the pics, but you obviously had minituarisation there too. Sound like a great approach to me, as it gives the patient a few more years i guess before they need to come back for another HT (as long as there is no damage to existing native hairs). Did Dr. Feller say anything about existing native hairs being damaged by placing the new grafts ? You obviously had a lot of native hairs in the placement area (mid scalp), so i'm wondering if you were at a higher risk. I'm guessing the risk is small with a great surgeon like him, but i'm just wondering what he said about it ?

Also, did he say that you would need to come back for another session to achieve a dense hairline, or is that expected to be covered in this surgery ?

I'm sure you'll have great results dude !!

Hi Folly. Thanks for the reply and the good wishes.

As mentioned, I originally wanted to go really aggressive with the hairline but Dr Feller explained that I had some miniaturisation in the midscalp so any extra grafts would be best placed there for exactly the reason that you stated. He said by thickening that area up it would prevent me from having to have another procedure soon to repair that area if it further deteriorates. This contingency plan made good sense to me and also reassured me that the doc obviously had my best interest in mind rather than potentially making an extra quick buck by having me back for another surgery soon.

As for damage, we didn't discuss it too much but he assured me that he placed the grafts as carefully as possible to minimise the amount of damage. Of course there is always some chance of damage but with careful surgery, being on Fin and having fairly strong hair I am hoping that if there is any it is an unnoticeable amount.

The doc assured me we would be working at maximum density with the dense pack technique in the hairline. It was the first thing we discussed and my number one priority. We actually did only work in the hairline and at the sides with the original 2000 grafts that I purchased. It was only after this was done and the doc offered to give me the extra 400 grafts that we shaved down the forelock and did some work there.

@RichDestiny. Thanks too. I explained to him that I didn't want to shave my whole head as I am going to try and use the thick hair at the back and sides of my head to do the mega combover. Haha. I started testing it today and miraculously it is working to some degree. I recon I'll have it mastered by next week when I have to go to work. Actually I'll post a few pics in a minute. Thinking of giving up my job to be a hair stylist. Hahaha.