+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by PatientlyWaiting View Post
    I disagree with the last two posts, and telling him he's not balding is a disservice to him.

The faster you act on it, the better the medications will work. Of course he's balding, he has a classic case of MPB, starting in the temples. Don't lie to some one who's here asking for help.

About looking bad, no it doesn't look bad, not yet. But yes you are balding.
    I said his hair didn't look bad. If I thought he wasn't balding I would have told him so. We're discussing treatments with him because he has male-pattern hair loss, which he knows.
    And of course getting on meds sooner is better, but if he's not willing to use finasteride or dutasteride then from what we know he won't be able to stop his hair loss with what's available today. He's got nothing to lose (besides time and money, like I said) by trying alternative remedies if he's resolved to avoid fin and dut, but there's not evidence to show they will work.
    Again:
    Ketoconazole and minoxidil might improve existing hair in the short term and delay/slow the process, but won't stop alopecia from progressing.
    Down the road, a transplant may improve appearance but won't stop native hairs from falling out in an eventual NW6-7 pattern.

Quote Originally Posted by 25 going on 65 View Post
    I said his hair didn't look bad. If I thought he wasn't balding I would have told him so. We're discussing treatments with him because he has male-pattern hair loss, which he knows.
    And of course getting on meds sooner is better, but if he's not willing to use finasteride or dutasteride then from what we know he won't be able to stop his hair loss with what's available today. He's got nothing to lose (besides time and money, like I said) by trying alternative remedies if he's resolved to avoid fin and dut, but there's not evidence to show they will work.
    Again:
    Ketoconazole and minoxidil might improve existing hair in the short term and delay/slow the process, but won't stop alopecia from progressing.
    Down the road, a transplant may improve appearance but won't stop native hairs from falling out in an eventual NW6-7 pattern.
    oh come one .Not everybody develops to nw 6-7.Maybe he is lucky and stops to a 3

I haven't heard of the miniaturization process permanently halting on its own. If he's thinning at 20 and forgoes treatment, he's going to go well beyond NW3 in his natural lifetime.

Quote Originally Posted by 25 going on 65 View Post
    I haven't heard of the miniaturization process permanently halting on its own. If he's thinning at 20 and forgoes treatment, he's going to go well beyond NW3 in his natural lifetime.
    Is this accurate?

Quote Originally Posted by clandestine View Post
    Is this accurate?
    Sometimes some people will lose only so much then it seems to stop for many years. For some lucky people it stops for the rest of their lives. Usually though at some point in ones life it starts back up.

I guess some men could have DHT-resistant follicles in unusual places on their scalp, other than just the typical NW6-7 area. Although, even the DHT-resistant hair in the back of the head eventually miniaturizes (without falling out completely) in more aggressive cases of male-pattern baldness. For some men that prevents them from being good transplant candidates.
    Another thought: some may experience dramatic drops in DHT (without medicine) from whatever cause during their lifetimes. Hormone levels can fluctuate for a lot of different reasons.

Default How to tell if your at the very beginning of hair loss?

Hi guys, im 21 years of age and have noticed some hair falling out of my head but that's only through being pedantic and excessively running my hands through my hair. I haven't got any noticeable hair loss or am I receding what so ever at the moment but I feel i am at the beginning of the end. I am scared and feel i will go bald before my time, it gives me anxiety only because I let it (immaturity).

I say this because on my mothers side her father started going bald at 22 and my mothers brother is bald and so is his son. My mothers sisters son is also bald all going through MPB at around 22. How can you start to tell if you are loosing your hair before you can visibley tell? I want to get onto this as soon as I can. Does lazer therapy work to keep hair full and growing even though DHT is present in the body? The stories of people taking FDA drugs ruining their lives has ruled that out for me.

Let me know if you have any ideas?
    Sorry if I sound pedantic, I just wont be ready for MPB in my 20s even though my genes are saying another story.

Thank you