+ Reply to Thread

Default Need some advice, just got Fin.

Ok i just got back from the doctor, got Finasteride 5mg pills (the doctor called it Proscar but on the packing it just says Finasteride)

It are little circular blue pills. I'm wondering in how many parts i should cut them to start? Maybe in 5 so i have exactly 1mg a day or in 4 so i have 1,25mg a day?

I heard people use a 'pill cutter' i don't have one but i can probaly buy one at the pharmacy. What do you guys use to cut ur pills?

Also i want to add Minoxidil aswell, i have a 100ML bottle minox that i only used once, however, it is 10 months expired now, is it still safe to use ??

Good morning,

Just cut the pills into four pieces. Pill splitters are inexpensive and easy to use. However, I do not see how it is possible to split a pill into odd number pieces.

The Minoxidil you have is probably O.K. to use. One of the doctors on here recently posted that medications simply reduce in effectiveness once past the expiration date. I would recommend giving Rogaine foam a try though. You can use the foam in the morning because it is more stealthy, then use the liquid Minoxidil in the evening to save money.

If you haven't already done so, go get some Nizoral A-D shampoo and use it in place of your regular shampoo once or twice per week. Nizoral helps reduce any possible irritation that may happen from using Minoxidil. Also, the active ingredient in Nizoral is a mild anti-androgen that may offer additional protection against DHT at the scalp.

You need to be aware that you need to give your regimen a full 12 months to find out if it will help stop, slow down or reverse your hair loss. So don't be discouraged if you don't see results right away. It takes a long time to treat hair loss.

Have a great day!

Tracy

Hey thanks for reply!

I'm gonna get a pill cutter at the pharmacy maybe they sell Nizoral shampoo too then i can buy that aswell :]

About rogaine foam.. i don't know, i got my liquid minoxidil from doctor prescription, so it was free. I don't think i can buy rogaine foam anywere here in the Netherlands so i'd have to order it online wich is probaly expensive.,

Does rogaine foam work better then liquid too?

Hello,

Sorry I didn't know you were in the Netherlands. I also didn't know you need a prescription to get Minoxidil in the Netherlands.

Here in the U.S., Nizoral is available in two strengths, a 2% version and a 1% version. We need to get a prescription for the 2% version but the 1% version can be purchased without a prescription. I do not know which is available in the Netherlands. However, if you can only get the 2% version, make sure you only use that once per week.

I would think Rogaine foam would be available in your area. However it might be called Regaine foam over there. It's the same medicine just with a different name. Again, I do not know if you need a prescription to get it in your area.

If you don't see these products on the shelf, you can ask your pharmacist about them.

Have a great day!

Tracy