+ Reply to Thread

Default 22 yo, want to improve my hair. help please!

I'm 22 year old. I have a pretty bad receding hairline in the front and it's only getting worse.

It's so stupid i have a good looking face but my hair is just horrible, its thin and receding in the front. It made me really insecure. I look really really bad with a bald head so that's not an option.

I really want my hairloss to stop and get my hair better now.. I'm think the best thing would be to start Propecia/Finasteride, the only thing is i'm very scared i will get permanent erectile dysfunction. I woudn't really care if i'd get some lower libido but i'm scared of not being able to get a boner permanently and ruining my life. What's the chance of doing permanent damage??

I still have a bottle with 100ML Minoxidil 5% (only used it once) but its past the expiration date wich is March 23, 2011. Can i still use this minox if i get on Fin. or would that be bad?

So yeah could you guys could please give me advice on what to do and if any of you have used Fin/minox tell me how it worked for you

Thanks!! really appreciate it.

Rogaine didn't work for me. I've been on Propecia for 1 1/2 years and I'm very happy with it. I was scared of Propecia also. The web is full of nonscience bs. Im not saying that these men aren't experiencing this, but it is rare. Propecia and Proscar have been given to millions of men and it has been shown to be a very safe drug. All men in the clinical trials that did have sides went back to normal after stopping. Here's a link to the clinical trial stats.http://www.drugs.com/sfx/propecia-side-effects.html
    I would call into the show tonight and have any of your questions answerd tonight.
    Best wishes!

Quote Originally Posted by spm View Post
    ......... I was scared of Propecia also. The web is full of nonscience bs. Im not saying that these men aren't experiencing this, but it is rare. .....!
    I guess unless you actually experience the side effects thn you think or belive they are rare

Adverse effectsSide

effects of finasteride include impotence (1.1% to 18.5%), abnormal ejaculation (7.2%), decreased ejaculatory volume (0.9% to 2.8%), abnormal sexual function (2.5%), gynecomastia (2.2%), erectile dysfunction (1.3%), ejaculation disorder (1.2%) and testicular pain. According to the product package insert, resolution occurred in men who discontinued therapy with finasteride due to these side effects and in most men who continued therapy. The PPI also states that patients have reported persisting erectile dysfunction despite discontinuing the drug. In December 2010, Merck added depression as a side effect of finasteride.[6]

'
    Yes some of us did experience these side effects and could not or would not continue with the drug

Those of you nthat did not , you are lucky .

Hi ILikeReggae,

Quote Originally Posted by ILikeReggae View Post
    So yeah could you guys could please give me advice on what to do and if any of you have used Fin/minox tell me how it worked for you.
    Concerning Propecia (or generic Finasteride), I cannot say much other than what I can read in the product information, which states that the possibility of side effects are rare.

I can say that the only medications that are FDA approved and proven to work for treating hair loss are Propecia (or generic Finasteride) and Rogaine (or generic Minoxidil).

Propecia (or generic Finasteride) blocks the formation of the hormone that causes hair loss (DHT) but it is not a growth stimulant. It simply enables hair follicles that can still grow hair to grow hair.

Rogaine (or generic Minoxidil) stimulates hair follicles that can grow hair to grow hair but it does nothing to block the hormone that causes hair loss.

These two medications do two different things and help each other when used together in combination treatment.

The hairmax laser comb is FDA cleared to treat hair loss. Low level laser therapy can increase the caliber and quality of the hair you have. This effect may make your hair look fuller and more youthful.

Many use Nizoral shampoo in their regimen. The active ingredient in Nizoral is a mild anti-androgen that may be able to block or reduce DHT at the scalp. Nizoral is available in two versions. A prescription strength 2% version and a non prescription stregth 1% version. If you decide to use Nizoral, it is important to only use the 2% strength once per week. You can use the 1% strength up to twice per week if you want to.

Take care,

Tracy

Thanks so much for that reply, u explained it really well.

I'm gonna make an appointment with my doctor and try to get Finasteride/Propecia prescription. Hopefully insurance covers it?

I got my minoxidil from doctor prescription without having to pay..

Does anyone know if it's still safe to use the 10 month past expiration date minoxidil 5%?
    and if it would still work