+ Reply to Thread

film 29 Year Old looking for advice in LA

Hi all,

My story: I am 29, used to have very curly hair. I have had a receding hairline for most of my adult life and actually never had a problem with it. It's part of who I am, and apparently it makes me look "distinguished". :roll eyes:

I have been taking Propecia and Minoxidil for 4 years, but a year or so ago I got tired of the routine and got very lazy. I skipped days, which then turned into weeks. The result: my crown has been thinning, and the receding hairline is moving further back.

I am attaching photos- as you can tell lighting plays a major part in the investigation.

Now, I am back on Propecia and Minoxidil. I am using Nioxin. I take vitamins every day and Omega 3 krill oil.

But I would like to have more hair.

Here are my questions:

- Where would you place me on the severity scale, or the Norwood scale.
    and most importantly:
    - Can you recommend a great hair doctor in Southern California?

I would much rather take people's personal recommendations than go online and go on a google rampage looking for a hair doctor. I have done that, and it's very hard to tell the pros from the cons (i.e. con artists).

My biggest concern with hair restoration is that it often looks like it tries too hard. Doctors tend to draw a straight line across the patient's forehead and the result is artificial.

I would like to actually keep my hair line, but simply thicken the hair on top and, perhaps lower it just a little.

Please feel free to e-mail me privately with your advice and suggestions.

I am very grateful for your help!

Travis
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo on 1-15-12 at 10.38 AM #2.jpg

Size:	55.5 KB
ID:	13033   Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo on 1-15-12 at 10.39 AM.jpg

Size:	56.5 KB
ID:	13034   Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo on 1-15-12 at 10.45 AM #5.jpg

Size:	64.0 KB
ID:	13035  
    Last edited by TravisPickle; 01-15-2012 at 10:59 AM. Reason: forgot to attach Photos

Hi Travis,

Here is the chart, though your photos look a bit different:

When searching for a doctor, it would be best to choose a doctor who is an IAHRS member. Here is a link to a locator to help you find one:

http://www.iahrs.org/hair-transplant/

The supplements and Nioxin shampoo are not going to do anything to treat your hair loss. However if you like the shampoo there is no harm in using it. It is best to stick with the FDA approved medications Propecia (or generic Finasteride) and Rogaine (or generic Minoxidil) and use them as directed. Even if you only use Rogaine (or generic Minoxidil) once a day, that is still better than not using it at all. The laser comb is FDA cleared and may help make the hair you have increase in caliber and quality. This effect may make your hair look fuller and more youthful. Using Nizoral shampoo once per week or Nizoral A-D once or twice per week in place of your regular shampoo may help as well.

Take care,

Tracy

Tracy,

Thank you so much for your reply.

I was very diligent about taking Propecia and Minoxydil- and did so religiously for 4-5 years. But I think it's only human to reach a point where you, basically, get tired of it.

A big reason for my "rebellion" had to do with Propecia. Though I never experienced any side-effects, the negative articles online and horror stories made me question the drug. Whenever I felt a bit down, or wasn't completely aroused during sex (which thankfully was rare) I would immediately attribute it to Propecia.

Moving on...

Hair restoration surgery seems like a good option for me, I believe. Looking at the Norwood scale it's hard to tell where I fall, but I would say I am probably between a III and a III Vertex. The procedure would be to 'improve' what I already have, as opposed to dramatically re-configure my appearance.

I do have a couple of questions regarding hair restoration surgery, specifically FUE. And, once again, I feel more comfortable getting "real" answers on here as opposed to reading a FAQ on a doctor's website.

My main questions pertaining to FUE, which I am sure will seem very silly to the experts on here:

- From what I understand, in FUE hair is taken from one part of the head and implanted to another. What prevents the donor region from looking noticeably thinner after the procedure? Is this down to the surgeon's skill, the fact that hair "covers" the now hairless sections, or does hair actually grow back in the spot where it has been removed?

- Regarding the receptor areas of the scalp: the "new" hair is immune to hair loss, so technically it should stay in place. But what about the rest of the hair that was there prior to the operation? Does it fall out?

- Does a hair transplant still mean one has to take Propecia and Rogaine on a daily basis?

- How visible are the scars in a relatively small FUE procedure? Are they visible to the naked eye, will the heal eventually etc.

- What exactly is the thinking behind "multiple sessions"? Do people get these done because they lose more hair and they need to address the issue? I keep hearing that hair restoration surgery is the only "permanent" solution- so it seems surprising to me that people would have to go back and keep improving on a permanent solution.

Thank you for your advice-

Travis

Quote Originally Posted by Tracy C View Post
    Hi Travis,

Here is the chart, though your photos look a bit different:

When searching for a doctor, it would be best to choose a doctor who is an IAHRS member. Here is a link to a locator to help you find one:

http://www.iahrs.org/hair-transplant/

The supplements and Nioxin shampoo are not going to do anything to treat your hair loss. However if you like the shampoo there is no harm in using it. It is best to stick with the FDA approved medications Propecia (or generic Finasteride) and Rogaine (or generic Minoxidil) and use them as directed. Even if you only use Rogaine (or generic Minoxidil) once a day, that is still better than not using it at all. The laser comb is FDA cleared and may help make the hair you have increase in caliber and quality. This effect may make your hair look fuller and more youthful. Using Nizoral shampoo once per week or Nizoral A-D once or twice per week in place of your regular shampoo may help as well.

Take care,

Tracy

Hi Travis,

Quote Originally Posted by TravisPickle View Post
    - From what I understand, in FUE hair is taken from one part of the head and implanted to another. What prevents the donor region from looking noticeably thinner after the procedure? Is this down to the surgeon's skill, the fact that hair "covers" the now hairless sections, or does hair actually grow back in the spot where it has been removed?
    The donor region does not regenerate new follicles. The quality of the work is down to the skill of the surgeon. So choose your surgeon very carefully.

- Regarding the receptor areas of the scalp: the "new" hair is immune to hair loss, so technically it should stay in place. But what about the rest of the hair that was there prior to the operation? Does it fall out?
    Hair transplant surgery does not stop the progression of hereditary hair loss. The surrounding hair will continue to fall out if you do nothing to maintain it.

- Does a hair transplant still mean one has to take Propecia and Rogaine on a daily basis?
    Yes. Hair transplant surgery does not stop the progression of hereditary hair loss.

- How visible are the scars in a relatively small FUE procedure? Are they visible to the naked eye, will the heal eventually etc.
    I am not sure. I had two FUT surgeries performed by a very gifted surgeon. My hair stylist cannot see the scar even though she knows exactly where it is.

- What exactly is the thinking behind "multiple sessions"?
    It depends on the needs of the patient. My doctor had the challenge of re-creating a feminine head of hair for me. My fist surgery was to fill in bald spots that would not re-grow hair with medications. My second surgery was to build up density.

Take care,

Tracy