+ Reply to Thread

Default Telogen Effluvium Question

Does telogen effluvium always happen 1-3 month after a particular stressful incident? This is the second time in 3 months my hair starts to shed all over. Sides, top, back even some in the eyebrows. Is it possible to get a TE shed from one week to the next, from what i read not possbile.

I had a similar shed in late October, my hair did grow back though. It has been a stressful year do to job/medical issues.

I knew i was going to have another shed as last Monday, my hair on the sides and top suddenly started go get whispy and it seemed to loose pigment.
    Then it has been shedding all this week.

Also, I have read mixed things on the internet about TE. Its my understanding that when the hair sheds its the final stage of telogen, meaning the other hair underneath is pushing it out. I dont understand when some people say u need to wait 6 months to see new hair. If the new hair is pushing it out and it grows half inch per month, u should see the new hair start coming out once the hair is shed.

Anyways i cleaned up my diet and stopped taking my daily dose of 800mg of ibuprophen for my hip related pain. Maybe its the ibuprophen daily.

Also been on Avodart and rogaine since 02.

thanks all

Sup dude,

I was convinced i had telogen effluvium last year, which lasted about 9 months. I was seeing my comb/pillow/shower, absolutely saturated with hair. I also noticed some eyelashes on my cheek every morning when i woke up. Turns out, it wasn't telogen effluvium.....just aggresive MPB. I pretty much had a full head of hair last year, but it's significantly receeded at the hairline in the last 9 months. I went to a dermatolgist and he did a scalp biopsy. He found out that 8% of my hairs in the donor region were shedding (normal) and 60% of the hairs on the top of my head were shedding. If the donor region was also shedding at 60%, then it would have been TE, but since it was just the top, it was MPB. Can you imagine 60% of your hairs on the top of your head in shedding phase ?? My whole house was covered in hairs after 9 months of intense shedding.

Anyway, my derm told me it's very rare for men to have TE. So, you should have a hair biopsy done on the back of your head and the top to determine if it's not just aggresive MPB. I don't have that much hair loss in my family and i have been losing hair at my hairline at a snails pace for the last 5 years. Nothing that you would notice as i still had high density, just some miniturization at the frontal hairlne (I'm 28 now by the way). Then last year, BOOM !! ... I started shedding like crazy. You can lose A LOT of hair from MPB in a very short time. Maybe you do have TE, in which case it should all grow back...but i was shocked last year to find out i didn't have TE and just aggresive MPB.

Default TE

thanks folly, where you on any meds avodart or propecia. Did the sheds come and go or was it just persistant shedding.

After the last shed in October my hair looked great till I got another shed last week. It actually looked better in early January than October. So i know it did not get any thinner. Lets see what happens this time.

thanks again

Quote Originally Posted by ljpviper View Post
    thanks folly, where you on any meds avodart or propecia. Did the sheds come and go or was it just persistant shedding.

After the last shed in October my hair looked great till I got another shed last week. It actually looked better in early January than October. So i know it did not get any thinner. Lets see what happens this time.

thanks again
    I wasn't on any meds, as my hairloss only really started last year, and boy....did it start. I've been on propecia for the last 5 weeks and im planning on starting Regaine soon too. The shedding started in April, then lasted until September. It then seemed to completely stop for about 3 weeks and then it started again, but i started using the laser comb around that time, so i think that's was triggered it again. Anyway, i've not shed for about 6 weeks now, so fingers crossed i won't have anymore extreme shedding, but i bet i will. I can just 'feel' its coming.

You should get one of those USB microscope thingies, so you can track the diameter of your hair shafts. You can then determine if treatments are working, such as propecia/Regaine. I'm from the UK and i picked one up for £40, which is ~ $65.

So you've been on Avodart/Minoxidil since 02 ? Is this the first time you've had a major shed ? Can i ask what age you are and what kind of hair loss you have in your family ? My dad's hair loss isn't too bad. He's been an NW4 for about 15 years now and he is 65. I'm praying Propecia/Minoxidil will let me keep my hair for the next 6-7 years. By then, i'm hoping histogen/Replicell will have commercial treatments available. I had a HT (1,250 grafts - FUE) on the hairline last year, which triggered all the shedding. I also had f#ck all growth to add to the insult. I also have fine hair, which isn't great for HT due to the lack of coverage. I want to forget about HT and just concentrate on controlling my hair loss through meds. If i had done that this time last year and not had a HT, i wouldn't be in this mess. Live and learn !!