+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by perrier View Post
    That's the thing with meds. They work for some, don't work others.
    That is true of almost everything. It just is what it is. Concerning treating hair loss, Propecia (or generic Finasteride), Rogaine (or generic Minoxidil) and low level laser therapy all work for most people who use it but none of them work for everyone. Again, it just is what it is. These things have been through the mill to get FDA approval or clearance, they would not have received those approvals or clearances if they did not provided statistically significant improvement. One thing to think about with this though is that "statistically significant" improvement is not necessarily the same as "appreciable improvement". Whether a treatment provides "appreciable improvement" or not depends on how the person using the treatment feels about it.

Taking propecia is a risk. I delayed taking it because of the possible side effects, but then got desperate because I noticed my hair thinning and had a long term relationship breakdown and used my prescription.

One morning after 6 weeks I woke up and suddenly realised I couldn't remember that last time I had a morning erection and that my libidio had been very low. I stopped taking it immediately and then suffered from post-finasteride syndrome. During this time I really couldn't care about my hair anymore, I just wanted to be able to be able to properly function sexually again. I was perhaps more depressed by this than my hair loss.

Luckily after 4 weeks it went away, and now I am depressed about my hair loss as it has got even worse. Reading these posts even makes me think about taking propecia again because I could already tell it was working, but then I remember how I felt with the side effects.

I don't write this in an attempt to scare you but I can tell you the side effects are real. The little information sheet I received with the propecia tablets said that a small number suffer erectile dysfunction but that it goes away when the drugs are discontinued, but everyone who is doubting these side effects may be interested to know that in the US this has been change to reflect the fact that the side effects persist even after use is stopped. I find it amazing they can do that, but still lie about it in other countries. They are being sued for a reason.

Don't **** around with your sex life man. Simply stated, what good is having hair is you are sexually defunct? Just my two cents.

Call it fear mongering, but the fact remains that a risk does indeed exist, whatever that risk may be, that finasteride can provoke very serious sexual sides.

"Side effects of finasteride include impotence (1.1% to 18.5%), abnormal ejaculation (7.2%), decreased ejaculatory volume (0.9% to 2.8%), abnormal sexual function (2.5%), gynecomastia (2.2%), erectile dysfunction (1.3%), ejaculation disorder (1.2%) and testicular pain. According to the product package insert, resolution occurred in men who discontinued therapy with finasteride due to these side effects and in most men who continued therapy. The PPI also states that patients have reported persisting erectile dysfunction despite discontinuing the drug. In December 2010, Merck added depression as a side effect of finasteride.[6]"
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Finaste...dverse_effects

While effective in some respects, I find it seriously disheartening that in 2012 this is our best treatment option regarding hair loss.

Stay educated, make informed decisions.