Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Tracy C
    • Sep 2011

Hi mathmoose,

Most of the guys you read who claim Minoxidil knocked out their hair line do not fully understand the treatment process or the medicine itself. They try it on their hairline and when the normal shedding starts, they freak out and stop using the medicine, which is the worst thing you could do. In reality, those guys knocked out their own hair lines because they didn't know what they are doing. In reality, the hair that sheds out usually grows back thicker than it was before - if you continue to use the medicine.

With that said, it is best to use Minoxidil in the vertex and mid-anterior areas. These are the areas that Minoxidil is most likely to do the most good. Minoxidil does work in the hairline for women and some younger men - but you have to stick with it to have any hope of it working. If you start using it and then freak out and stop, you will do more harm to your hair than good.

Also, if you do choose to use Minoxidil, it is best to taper up to the full twice a day dose. If you do not know what that means, feel free to ask.

Take care,

Tracy

Comment

• Jcm800
      • Jan 2011

Yeah yeah I didnt know what I was doing. About a year later and those hairs never really did come back on my hairline. Im still applying this crap and still losing it.

Comment

• Tracy C
        • Sep 2011

Did you read the whole comment I wrote?

Comment

• mathmoose
          • Apr 2012

Originally posted by Tracy C
          Hi mathmoose,

Most of the guys you read who claim Minoxidil knocked out their hair line do not fully understand the treatment process or the medicine itself. They try it on their hairline and when the normal shedding starts, they freak out and stop using the medicine, which is the worst thing you could do. In reality, those guys knocked out their own hair lines because they didn't know what they are doing. In reality, the hair that sheds out usually grows back thicker than it was before - if you continue to use the medicine.

With that said, it is best to use Minoxidil in the vertex and mid-anterior areas. These are the areas that Minoxidil is most likely to do the most good. Minoxidil does work in the hairline for women and some younger men - but you have to stick with it to have any hope of it working. If you start using it and then freak out and stop, you will do more harm to your hair than good.

Also, if you do choose to use Minoxidil, it is best to taper up to the full twice a day dose. If you do not know what that means, feel free to ask.

Take care,

Tracy
          Thanks for your reply Tracy. I can see you're very helpful on this forum.

I've done my research and am well aware that after the initial application of Minoxidil you should expect some shedding. So I can see how some people applying Minoxidil to the hairline area would experience shedding there at first and possibly get freaked out of they weren't expecting it.

What I just want to clarify though is that if I apply Minoxidil to JUST my crown as thats only where I'm concerned about... could it still effect my front hairline?

Will the Minoxidil literally only affect the areas that it comes in to contact with?

Thanks,

Matt

Comment

• Tracy C
            • Sep 2011

Originally posted by mathmoose
            Will the Minoxidil literally only affect the areas that it comes in to contact with?
            Hi mathmoose,

Minoxidil only works where you put it. Here is a link from Dr. Bernstein's web site for further clarification.

Take care,

Tracy

Comment

• mathmoose
              • Apr 2012

Thanks Tracy.

I'm considering using Minoxidil on just my crown and was concerned I might knock out my front hair line in the process!

But it seems that will not be the case.

Matt

Comment

• BigThinker
                • Oct 2012

Sorry to bump an old thread but I'm have pertinent problems. I have some density albeit thinning and I'm having such a hard time getting minox on my entire scalp.

Currently, I employ the parting method, but with only 1 mL to apply, it's hard to get it applied to more than 5 lines/parts before the dropper is empty. After that, I find that my hair is still greasy ,which is indicative it didn't get to my scalp (?).

The other method I've employed is, while my hair is still wet and "spiked" from a shower, fill the dropper and run it all around my scalp pushing the dropper to my scalp the best I can. It's so frustrating, and I'm sure I'm losing so much of the 1 mL dose.

Thoughts? Should I apply 2 mL and assume I'll lose 1 mL in the application process? Should I be more diligent, and apply smaller amounts per line/part so that I can part my hair 10 or so different times?

One last thing: The first couple times I used it, I found it left my hair feeling thick, and I loved it (even if it was fake thickness). Now, my hair just seems greasy afterwards. I don't know what's changed. Maybe it depends how wet/dry your hair is? Maybe it's indicative of how well of a job you're doing having it land on the scalp?

Sorry for the lengthy post. Thanks in advance for any input.

Comment

• Tracy C
                  • Sep 2011

Originally posted by BigThinker
                  Sorry for the lengthy post. Thanks in advance for any input.
                  Just use 1ml and focus your application on the areas it can do the most good, the vertex and mid-anterior areas. If your hair loss is greater than that pictured in the instructions for using Minoxidil, Minoxidil is not likely going to do you any good.

Comment

• BigThinker
                    • Oct 2012

Originally posted by Tracy C
                    Just use 1ml and focus your application on the areas it can do the most good, the vertex and mid-anterior areas. If your hair loss is greater than that pictured in the instructions for using Minoxidil, Minoxidil is not likely going to do you any good.
                    K. Well I guess I will focus on getting the frontal lobe covered, which is where most of my issues are. If it's true that fin works best on crown, I really should be fine in that area.

I'm not quite NW3, so I think I'm a legit candidate for minox -- assuming my MPB isn't too aggressive for treatment.

Comment

• Tracy C
                      • Sep 2011

Originally posted by BigThinker
                      I'm not quite NW3, so I think I'm a legit candidate for minox -- assuming my MPB isn't too aggressive for treatment.
                      In general, both Minoxidil and Finasteride work best on the vertex and mid-anterior areas. Not the hair line. A small percentage of men can achieve regrowth in the hairline but that is not the norm. If you do not have a problem in your vertex and mid-anterior areas, Minoxidil is probably not right for you. Are you one of the guys participating in the dermaroller experiment?

If you want to use more than 1ml so you can cover a larger area, use the 2% womens formula - or use up to 2ml of the 5% formula once a day. That way you can cover a larger area with less chances of increasing your chances of experiencing the possible negative side effects of Minoxidil.

Finasteride only arrests hair loss and allows hair that can grow back to grow back - but it does nothing to stimulate regrowth.

Comment

• lepke
                        • Nov 2013

I noticed one minoxidil treatment with a long nose nozzle before, I would think that is perfect for people with long hair.

Comment

Working...