+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Question Wedding in June... start now or start later?!?!

Hello all

My first post here, please be gentle!

Over the last few years I have noticed some thinning, mostly right at the front of my scalp. Most of the time it is not too noticeable unless I am under some pretty strong lights. Bathrooms and shops seems to be the worst.

I have decided now is the time to start doing something about it while I still have a fair amount of coverage. I am thinking Regaine or Rogaine (depending on where you live).

However I am getting married at the start of June and am worried about the shedding effect. Will all my wedding photos show me with half as much hair as I have now? I can't see me naturally loosing all that hair before then and am not sure if I will see the benefits in 5 months.

Any thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by bishog View Post
    Will all my wedding photos show me with half as much hair as I have now?
    I doubt it but honestly, no one can answer that question. How much you will shed is dependant on how many of your follicles are damaged. The more damaged follicles you have, the more you will shed. The less damaged follicles you have, the less you will shed.

Quote Originally Posted by bishog View Post
    I can't see me naturally loosing all that hair before then and am not sure if I will see the benefits in 5 months.
    I can say that you probably won't have satisfactory results in five months. It takes a long time to treat hair loss. It takes four to six months before you will know if Rogaine (or generic Minoxidil) will work for you. It takes over a year before you will know if the results are going to be appreciable.

Weddings are very important. This is the bride’s day and everyone will be trying their best to make her day perfect. It would be best for you to wait, just in case. If not for you, do it for your bride.

I agree with Tracy C. It's best to wait. The timing could mean that you're slap bang in the middle of a shed by the time of your wedding. No one can know what sort of impact it will have on your appearance (or if you'll experience a noticeable shed at all) but it doesn't sound like putting off treatment for another 6 months or so will be anything you'll regret. Your hairloss apparently isn't aggressive.
    I am a patient and representative of Dr Rahal

My FUE With Dr Rahal - Awesome Hairline Result

I can be contacted for advice: matt@rahalhairline.com

Thumbs up

I'm not sure I agree with these comments. I see the arguement and accept the ideas but bottom line is early intervention is the key. Yes, you could experience a shed but you may also see some positive results as well (this has happened to me so I assure you it's possible within a 5 month time frame). If you are going to try it anyway then I think you need to carefully weigh up when you start treatment and decide what's best for you. It's your day as well so don't be bullied into thinking your needs are not equally important. That being said, I understand you obviously should be sensitive to your future wife's feelings. If you felt that there could be a negative aesthethic impact on photos, etc, you could always consider a concealer (Toppik, etc) just for a day and to be honest that would be a worse case scenario.

Congratulations by the way!

Quote Originally Posted by 8868alex View Post
    I see the arguement and accept the ideas but bottom line is early intervention is the key.
    It is true that early intervention is important but really, waiting six months is not going to make much difference. Certainly not enough difference to risk shedding during such an important time in ones life.

Thumbs up

Bishog -

I think your best bet would be to see a qualified physician who deals with hair loss in order to assess your options. Whilst Minoxidil may help, if you are serious about stopping your hair loss then Propecia should also be considered as a treatment option. Everyone's response will vary but there is no reason to assume the worst and you may not even experience the "dread shed". Perhaps 6 months won't have a great impact but I would consult a doctor and avoid anonymous evaluation on a forum. Again, it is quite possible to see positive results within the 5-6 months as this happened to me. I am loathe to tell people what to do but conventional wisdom is to commit to a regime sooner rather than later, especially if you have decided that you wish to take action at some point. There is a lot of doom and gloom on this forum at times and it is nice to hear about people who are moving forward and doing positive things with their lives

Best of luck!

the initial shedding isn't that aggressive at all!

Quote Originally Posted by Ramazan View Post
    the initial shedding isn't that aggressive at all!
    It depends, everyone is different. Some people experience major shedding.
    My advice is to WAIT! Try experimenting with some Topik or other concealers, they can work wonders and can really help with photos and bright light situations. Also it is common knowledge that Rogain is a temorary bandaid, if your looking for a long term solution you really should start researching Finasteride. Again people shed with this drug as well. You have plenty of time to experiment with some concealers, if you haven't by now I think you will be pleasently surprised at what they can do.

Have to agree best option just get over the stressful day. Congrats

Hey! It's actually not easy to find a good wedding dress under $ 500, but if you try, you can find some real masterpieces! Personally, I advise you to pay your attention to the plus size formal dresses here https://www.thedressoutlet.com/colle...formal-dresses
    Here I bought a dress for my wedding. The advantage of this store is that special offers for dresses appear quite often and you can buy them at a very low price!