+ Reply to Thread

Unhappy Please educate me

Thank you for taking the time to check out my post and thank you in advance for anybody who can offer some advice or information to someone very new to this. I am 23 years old about to turn 24 in a week, and my hair is thinning. Now I'll be clear in saying that if i posted pictures you would all call me crazy and say my hair is fine, however like all of us can agree, you know your hair better than anyone else does, so you know when it changes. I had thick hair, extremely thick hair, to the point where id get haircuts and the lady at the salon would complain about how much hair i had and how difficult it was to get a comb through it. I am an actor and the make up artists would always laugh at how thick my hair was and how much volume it had and that it was easy to style because it "just does what it wants" no product needed, my hair could hold up a dictionary. The funny thing is, I hated my hair, it was thick, it was wavy, i wanted straight hair that i could spike and look like brad pitt or tom cruise, but now that im losing it, i desperately want it back. I would say in the past 2-3 months my hair went from absurdly thick to about 40% of its original density, and its driving me nuts, I have had some pretty heavy duty stress over the past 6 months and I was on a pretty strict diet, not so much calories wise, but I def watched what i ate and took it mostly protein and healthy fats and tried to minimize carbs. I dont take any crazy supplements, I dont use any product in my hair, and I shampoo it about 3-4 times a week, depending on the level of physical activity i do. If you are still reading you are a trooper thank you! My question is, if i lower my stress levels ( im working on more yoga and breathing exercises) ease up on the diet restrictions, take in some more calories so that im not always in a deficit after a workout, will my hair start growing back? or did i just trigger the hormone that causes hairloss and now im on the slow path to having to look into treatments for hair loss? i dont have any kind of vitamin deficiency that i can think of, my mom and dads side of the family all have full heads of hair, hell my brother who is 6 years older has plenty of hair as well, and I used to have 5 times what he has. As all of you can relate to, i cant stand waking up everyday and getting out of the shower to see more and more scalp with my wet hair, or seeing more and more light passing through my hair revealing scalp when just 3 MONTHS AGO I had more hair than i knew what to do with and i was complaining!!!! that is was such a pain in the ass haha and now i got my wish and im miserable. Ok ill wrap up this poorly written grammatically atrocious post, anyone who can tell me if once the hairloss starts (in the event that is was caused by stress, diet, or any other non genetic reason) is it possible that the hair can return to its normal state if those factors are corrected?

Quote Originally Posted by chasemm18 View Post
    My question is, if i lower my stress levels ( im working on more yoga and breathing exercises) ease up on the diet restrictions, take in some more calories so that im not always in a deficit after a workout, will my hair start growing back?
    Hi chasemm18,

No one can answer that question but a healthy diet, healthy amount of exercise and lower stress is good for you anyways, so do it anyways. Worrying and stressing over losing your hair can make your hair fall out.

Take care,

Tracy

Thank you for the kind words! and taking the time to check this out