+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by PatientlyWaiting View Post
    Mice all around the world are rejoicing at this news. Mice have the most cures for baldness, just about anything works on them. From the looks of it, you can throw water at a bald mouse, and it'll regrow hair. Obviously it won't translate to a cure for humans. If I had a dime for every new discovery about something that regrew mice hair, i'd have enough money saved for 5,000 grafts with Dr. Bernstein or Dr Feller.
    Yeah, I know what you mean. Constantly there are new articles with headlines like "There is a new breakthrough!!!" but few things come to fruition, if anything at all.

This is just insane, how much money goes into investing in companies that peddle womens cosmetics, designer clothing and they cant even get funding for something that has the potential to regrow skin for burn victims?

I dont even care about the hair loss angle right now, this is just insanity, what is wrong with society? There have been so many occasions where a viable treatment has been shelved because of lack of support and funding, hell even NASA have put projects on hold because they're short of cash.

But companies that sell ANYTHING to women seem to be garnering BILLIONS in wealth, what is wrong with this world?

Quote Originally Posted by UK_ View Post
    This is just insane, how much money goes into investing in companies that peddle womens cosmetics, designer clothing and they cant even get funding for something that has the potential to regrow skin for burn victims?

I dont even care about the hair loss angle right now, this is just insanity, what is wrong with society? There have been so many occasions where a viable treatment has been shelved because of lack of support and funding, hell even NASA have put projects on hold because they're short of cash.

But companies that sell ANYTHING to women seem to be garnering BILLIONS in wealth, what is wrong with this world?
    I have no idea man. But there is something genuinely wrong when something which is as promising as this isn't funded for whatever reason. The only reason would be that there is something else that is even more promising. But I'd be surprised if that was the case.

It may be true that if research were to continue they'd find that the hydrogel is only effective when used on mice but at the same time they might have stumbled on something that can indeed change the lives of people big time. Full regeneration with skin appendages (hair, sweat glands) is quite something... And rarely seen before if ever.

It's just like the axolotl. Which is some kind of amfibious or amphibious creature. I don't know what the correct spelling is as I'm European. It's a fish but also a land dweller? Anyway, this creature is now being studied extensively by researchers as it's salamander-like in the sense that it can regenerate perfectly without scar formation. So there must be a real, genuine possiblity that findings there can lead to the realisation of treatments for people that can lead to the same results.

Interesting what you said about women's products getting so much cash. haha That is interesting.

I'm going to e-mail the person who was in charge of the hydrogel development and get some more info/confirmation. I'll post here what she said.

Just thought I'd drop by and say that it seems I have misunderstood and that the hydrogel is still being worked on. If I understood correctly this time they couldn't get funding from NIH nor from the department of defense(?) and are now hoping to fund it further by starting their own small company.

I've e-mailed them today so I'll get back to you and say what they said in their reply.