+ Reply to Thread

Unhappy First Post, Ian, 27 UK

Hi there, my name is Ian, I'm 27 years old, I live in Manchester (England), I'm slightly overweight and I'm losing my hair and it sucks.

My dad was bald as a cue ball by my age so at least I've beat him, due to his situation I've always assumed I would lose all my hair. My real goal is to slow my hair loss. I think I can deal with being bald eventually, but I'd love a few more years of hair. I like my hair, it's soft and straight, just like angora.

With the coming of the New Year I've decided to ask that ultimate agony aunt (the INFONETS) for advice in my quest. Allow me to apologise in advance if you see this message in any other place. I've posted it around - I'm just interested in garnering the widest number of solutions possible.

As I already said my father is bald, as was his mother, I've got no idea what my paternal grandfather's hair war like (he disappeared from the Newcastle docks one day in 1952); my maternal grandparents had hair on their head until the day they died (although my maternal grandfather had a very receded hairline and generally thinned hair).

I'd say I'm type 2 or 5 from this scale (pictured below) and in moderate phase. My hair has thinned and disappeared over the temples but I've got no loss of hair on the vertex or crown of my head. I was born with a large head and a high hair line, the tip at the front of my hairline has not moved.

Very recently (Dec 26th) I tried using Rogain 5% Minoxadil foam but I suffered from some of the side effects (fast heart beat, chest pain), this is probably due to the fact that I suffered from an attack of pericarditis (inflammation of the sack around the heart) during the summer and it can take up to 9 months to clear.

Last week I started using Alpecin Caffeine Shampoo and Alpecin Caffeine Liquid every morning. I do like these two products. They have defiantly made my hair feel a lot 'nicer' (easier to style, very soft), however I have no idea if it will slow my hair loss and I'm pretty sure they're not going to give me a single new hair on my increasingly shiny bonce.

I've heard about Nizoral shampoo but I've never had dandruff and I think I have a pretty health scalp. I'm a little fearful of taking medications after my experience with Rogain. What I'm really looking for is advice on natural remedies, and medications which do not have heart-related side effects.

I've attached some images so you can see the state of my hairline. Any advice, suggestions or questions would be more than welcome; I really want to do something about this.

Oh and do those laser combs really work?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Side.jpg

Size:	31.7 KB
ID:	12960   Click image for larger version

Name:	Crown.jpg

Size:	46.3 KB
ID:	12961  

Hello Ian.

My name is Chris from Gloucestershire in the Uk and 26 years old. From your pictures, you look as though you have a good amount of solid hair.

If you want to maintain your hair, the biggest weapon to combat this problem is to use finasteride. Finasteride in the form of propecia/proscar/finpecia which will help fight the root of the problem.

You can get finasteride for very good competitive prices from Ukfinasteride in which countless uk members of the main forums use to obtain this.

I have personally used finpecia and proscar for several years now.

It is legitimate as one of the most well known people within the hair restoration industry 'spex', who is a hair loss sufferer himself from England, now consultant for Dr Feller and Dr Lindsey, quotes it on his personal website.

Quote Originally Posted by IanIrving0 View Post
    I'm just interested in garnering the widest number of solutions possible.
    There are only a few treatments for hair loss that are proven to work. They are Propecia (or generic Finasteride), Rogaine/Regaine (or generic Minxodil) and low level laser therapy. Everything else you find is just an over priced bottle of empty promises.

Quote Originally Posted by IanIrving0 View Post
    I'm a little fearful of taking medications after my experience with Rogain. What I'm really looking for is advice on natural remedies, and medications which do not have heart-related side effects.
    The only treatments for hair loss that are proven to work are Propecia (or generic Finasteride), Rogaine/Regaine (or generic Minxodil) and low level laser therapy.

Propecia (or generic Finasteride) can block the hormone (called DHT) that is causing your hair loss and arrest or slow down your the loss but it is not a growth stimulant. The possible side effects are rare.

Rogaine/Regain (or generic Minoxidil) is a growth stimulant but it does nothing to block what is causing your hair loss. The possible side effects are mild and well tolerated by most who use it.

The laser comb can increase the caliber and quality of the hair that you have, including hair that has regrown from using Minoxidil, but it can do nothing to block what is causing the loss. There are no known side effects at this time.

The most important thing in treating hair loss is to block the cause. Propecia (or generic Finasteride) blocks the cause. The active ingredient in Nizoral shampoo is a mild anti-androgen that may be able to block DHT at the scalp, so you may benefit for using it.

You hair loss is not that bad. Judging by your photos, Rogaine/Regaine (or generic Minoxidil) probably won't do much for you. The reason I say that is because it looks like the area where your original hair line was is now completely void of hair. Non-surgical treatments cannot do anything for areas that are completely void of hair and have been that way for a long time. Since you had trouble with Minoxidil anyways, there is no point in trying it again.

The laser comb can improve the hair that you have but I am not sure if that effect would be appreciable in your case, unless you decide to have hair transplant surgery.

In your situation, with your type and degree of hair loss, the only appreciable options for you are Propecia (or generic Finasteride) and hair transplant surgery. If you simply want to keep what you have for as long as possible, then Propecia (or generic Finasteride) and Nizoral are your best solution. If you want more, you will need hair transplant surgery.

Hi Chris, thanks for reassuring my about my hair, it’s always hard to for oneself to get a handle on how your hair is. Do you happen to have a link to ‘spex’ website? Or should I just bash it into google?

I’ve taken a look into finasteride and I’ve booked an appointment with my doctor for next week to see if it’s safe for me to useI’m also going to ask if I’ll be OK to try Rogaine after my heart inflammation has gone.

The only thing that concerns me about using finasteride is the

“systemic side effects of lowered DHT”

I was wondering what these side effects are? Has anyone experienced any of these side effects? Do they only affect a minority of users?

I’ve also ordered some Nizoral, I’m going to use it in conjunction with the Alpecin, which, although it may be nothing more than Voodoo in a bottle, has certainly improved the quality of my hair, has anyone else used it?

I have considered hair transplants, but I’m hoping to stabilize my hair line before I move onto the stage.

This is the link:
    http://spexhair.com

The side effects are minimal and only affect a very small minority. There are tens of millions of people around the world who are on finasteride, but the decision rests with you, so you need to educate yourself.

I have personally never used nizoral but know a lot of forum members who do and is one of the 'big 3 used'.

Thanks for the link, I’ve downloaded the ebook, I can totally get on board with what spex is saying. Use finasteride and nizoral to stabilise the hair loss, minox to regrow or restore damaged hair.

I’m eagerly awaiting the delivery of my Nizoral, having read a little bit more about finasteride I’ve learnt that the side effects only effect a tiny minority of users so I think it’s worth the risk, going to hold off on making a final decision until I’ve talked to my doctor.

I’ve just purchased standard Nizoral, from what I understand the active ingredient is ketoconazole, are there any shampoos that are optimised for the hair loss or is it just over priced Nizoral?

The main ingredient to help you fight hairloss is finasteride.

Monoxidil and Nizoral do help with the battle of hair loss but they are no way near as potent as finasteride.

I take finasteride but neither of the other two.

Appointment is with Dr on Wednesday, Nizoral is in the post, excited.

Will post after appointment with Dr concerning his opinion on Minox and Finasteride, might be interesting.

Thanks for the input.

Glad you're making informed decisions regarding your hair loss.

Nizoral will help to block DHT in the scalp area, but will by no means regrow hair.

Educate yourself before dedicating yourself to any treatment or combination of treatments.

"Side effects of finasteride include impotence (1.1% to 18.5%), abnormal ejaculation (7.2%), decreased ejaculatory volume (0.9% to 2.8%), abnormal sexual function (2.5%), gynecomastia (2.2%), erectile dysfunction (1.3%), ejaculation disorder (1.2%) and testicular pain. According to the product package insert, resolution occurred in men who discontinued therapy with finasteride due to these side effects and in most men who continued therapy. The PPI also states that patients have reported persisting erectile dysfunction despite discontinuing the drug. In December 2010, Merck added depression as a side effect of finasteride.[6]"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Finaste...dverse_effects