+ Reply to Thread

Default Starting Treatment Questions

I am 23 and unfortunately just noticed that there is some definite hair thinning occurring right on the crown of my head. I think I am lucky in that I have just spotted this before it is extremely noticeable, I can only see it when I brush my hair (which is fairly long) and again its only right on the vortex of the crown so to speak. I would love to return to having a full thick head of hair and have purchased some Minoxidil (generic liquid form 5% form) and also gotten some propecia. I don't mind risking the side effects with the propecia but I wanted to get some people's thoughts on my upcoming process.

If I apply the Minoxidil to that area on the top of my head would it be safe to say I can expect the hair to return or regress to being thicker (after the 8 months or so that they tell you to expect)?

Should I apply the minoxidil all over (or include my front hairline) for precautionary measures?

Would anyone advise that I simply stick with the oral propecia rather than doing the rogain for what I guess can be considered very mild hair thinning/loss?

I would love to avoid the shedding, however as I understand its an integral part of the process and so I also will suck it up but would that be reduced if I started the propecia first (and if so for how long?)

Basically I think i've caught this pretty early and would love any suggestions on how to minimize adverse effects but long term consistent hair is the overall goal.

Thanks in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnyV View Post
    If I apply the Minoxidil to that area on the top of my head would it be safe to say I can expect the hair to return or regress to being thicker (after the 8 months or so that they tell you to expect)?
    We can't see your head but it is possible. More likely 12 months though.

Should I apply the minoxidil all over (or include my front hairline) for precautionary measures?
    If your hair line is fine, don't bother. The most important areas are your vertex and mid-anterior.

Would anyone advise that I simply stick with the oral propecia rather than doing the rogain for what I guess can be considered very mild hair thinning/loss?
    I would use both. Propecia is not a growth stimulant, it is a growth enabler. Minoxidil is a growth stimulant but it is not a growth enabler. The two medicines do two different things. Using both gives you the best chances of achieving the results you want. Take advantage of that.

I would love to avoid the shedding, however as I understand its an integral part of the process and so I also will suck it up but would that be reduced if I started the propecia first (and if so for how long?)
    Shedding is associated with Propecia as well. Shedding is asociated with every treatment for hair loss that actually works. Shedding is associated with Rogaine (or generic Minoxidil), Propecia (or generic Finasteride), Aldactone (or generic Spironolactone) and low level laser therapy. Shedding is part of the process. Shedding means the treatment is working. There is no way to avoid shedding if you want to treat your hair loss. The damaged follicles shed their hairs as they are being repaired by treatment. Shedding stops eventually when the damaged follicles have returned to close to normal and and start producing hair again.

Basically I think i've caught this pretty early and would love any suggestions on how to minimize adverse effects but long term consistent hair is the overall goal.
    Catching it early is very important. You are young and therfore your hair loss is relatively recent. Because your hair loss is relatively recent you are in good shape. You will probably do well with Propecia (or generic Finasteride) and Rogaine (or generic Minoxidil). I would also suggest using Nizoral or Nizoral A-D shampoo once or twice per week in place of your regular shampoo. You may also benefit from using a laser comb every other day.

I would like to suggest using Rogaine foam in the morning because it is more stealthy. Then use your generic liquid Minoxidil in the evenings to save money. Thats what I do.

Whatever you choose to do, give treating it a full 12 months.

Thank you, I am pretty much planning on using both. I realize its hard to estimate or predict without seeing anything but can I expect the Propecia to pretty much maintain my current hair state (obviously minus any hopefully temporary shedding from the treatments)?

Hi JohnyV,

Typically Propecia (or generic Finasteride) prevents further hair loss and maintains what hair you still have.

Rogaine (or generic Minoxidil) stimulates hair follicles that can still grow hair to grow hair. The regrown hair starts out as "peach fuzz". Over time and hair growth cycles that peach fuzz gets bigger with each cycle until it is normal hair.

The laser comb increases the caliber and improves the quality of the hairs that you have. This makes your hair look fuller and more youthful. This effect also helps the hair that has regrown from using Minoxidil increase in caliber and quality.

Nizoral or Nizoral A-D helps maintain a healthy scalp, which is very important when treating hair loss. The active ingredient in Nizoral is also a mild anti-androgen that may block DHT at the scalp.

Shedding is devastating but it is temporary. The hairs that shed will grow back in time. When they do they will be thicker than they were before if you stick with treatment.

Take care,

Tracy

How long does a shedding period typically last?

If one were to discontinue treatment, post-shedding, would they have to endure a subsequent shedding period from stopping?

Quote Originally Posted by clandestine View Post
    How long does a shedding period typically last?
    There is no "one size fits all" answer to this question.

Quote Originally Posted by clandestine View Post
    If one were to discontinue treatment, post-shedding, would they have to endure a subsequent shedding period from stopping?
    If you stop treatment, you you will lose anything you gained from the treatment and your hair loss will resume as it was before starting treatment.

Thanks for the quick reply Tracy!