+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Default How many grafts would i need ?

I have just joined and have been trying to do some research about FUE
    transplant . I am 36 years old , apart from using regaine foam for 2 months i have not used anything to prevent hairloss in the past .

My main worry is to end up worse than i start after a HT procedure . Like pretty much everything else in life there are no absolute quarantees i understand but i would like to drop the risk to a minimum by research . I have been suffereing from hair loss for sometime now and i have never noticed it was this bad untill i have taken the below pictures . Even though i am not expecting to have the hair i had on my head when i was 16 ,i would like to look half decent for a 36 year OLD man

I have added some recent pictures and i am looking to get some ideas and info as to what my hair loss would come under on NW scale and what sort of realistic expectations i could have from a FUE transplant ?

Thanks all in advance

Here is the chart. Print out several copies and ask several friends to circle the image that looks most like your pattern.

Only a hair restoration doctor can tell you how many grafts you will need. The best research you can do for yourself is to consult a doctor who specializes in treating hair loss.

It is a good idea to try treating the problem for at least a full year before committing to surgery. If I were you and had your degree of hair loss I would start on the "big 3" and low level laser therpy. After a year of treatment, re-evaluate your hair and go from there.

Thanks for the quick reply Tracy , i have seen the chart before but i am not keen on printing copies or asking my friends as to how bald my hair looks to be honest .
    To my possibly biased eyes ,i would think i am either a 5A or a 5V but i just wanted opinions from people on here so that when i am looking on before and after pics on various websites i can sort of see what i could expect .

On the other hand ,i am not sure if you have actually seen at the pictures i have uploaded ? Cause as i mentioned in my post , i am 36 years old and as you can see pretty much bald at the top of my head . If you are suggesting there is a miracle cure that will bring out a forest of hair from shiny dead skin i am all ears ???
    Otherwise i am not really interested in wasting a year and money on products that will bring out some baby hair in return for shrunk balls !!
    I would rather enjoy a succesful transplant for an extra year longer.

Quote Originally Posted by vinnytr View Post
    To my possibly biased eyes ,i would think i am either a 5A or a 5V but...
    Actually, I think you look like a 5 but I'm not a doctor.

If you are suggesting there is a miracle cure that will bring out a forest of hair from shiny dead skin i am all ears ???
    Nothing I said suggested a miracle cure. Nothing currently available is going to give you a forest of hair from what you have now. The proven treatments that are currently available can arrest your hair loss from getting worse and possibly grow some hair back. The possibilty of side effects are rare. Spending a year trying is not a waste of time or money. If you feel it is, that is your mistake and your problem alone. Hair transplant surgery is not the silver bullet you think it is. You have some real learning to do. Get off the internet and go talk to a doctor.

Quote Originally Posted by Tracy C View Post
    Spending a year trying is not a waste of time or money. If you feel it is, that is your mistake and your problem alone. Hair transplant surgery is not the silver bullet you think it is. You have some real learning to do. Get off the internet and go talk to a doctor.
    Geeeeeeeez,

Try and be a little more compassionate when you respond , or don't bother respondign at all

Quote Originally Posted by DAVE52 View Post
    Try and be a little more compassionate when you respond...ll
    He caught me in a grumpy mood. Is this better?

Hi vinnytr,

Propecia (or generic Finasteride) prevents further hair loss and maintains what hair you still have. The possible side effects are rare.

Rogaine (or generic Minoxidil) stimulates hair follicles that can still grow hair to grow hair. The regrown hair starts out as "peach fuzz". Over time and hair growth cycles that peach fuzz gets bigger with each cycle until it is normal hair. The possible side effects are mild and well tolerated by most who use it.

The laser comb increases the caliber and improves the quality of the hairs that you have. This makes your hair look fuller and more youthful. This effect also helps the hair that has regrown from using Minoxidil increase in caliber and quality. There are no known side effects at this time.

Nizoral or Nizoral A-D helps maintain a healthy scalp, which is very important when treating hair loss. The active ingredient in Nizoral is also a mild anti-androgen that may block DHT at the scalp. The possible side effect is primarily dry hair and scalp. This can be reduced by using it only once or twice per week and by using a good quality moisturizing conditioner.

Take care,

Tracy

I keep seeing the laser comb coming up on this site. Everything I have ever read about those is that they dont work at all. There is no scientific proof that they do anything. Is there someone on here that has seen really good results?

Quote Originally Posted by Tracy C View Post
    Actually, I think you look like a 5 but I'm not a doctor.
    Nothing I said suggested a miracle cure. Nothing currently available is going to give you a forest of hair from what you have now. The proven treatments that are currently available can arrest your hair loss from getting worse and possibly grow some hair back. The possibilty of side effects are rare. Spending a year trying is not a waste of time or money. If you feel it is, that is your mistake and your problem alone. Hair transplant surgery is not the silver bullet you think it is. You have some real learning to do. Get off the internet and go talk to a doctor.
    I cant see my hair getting any much worse to be honest .

Do you really believe i could grow a decent amount of hair with the products you are suggesting ? Trust me i really dont want to have a HT for nothing ,even the idea of things going wrong is enough to evaporate my urine .

I am a little confused though, i thought this was a HT website where people are looking to get info and some research done before they decide where to go? If i am not eligible for HT ,who is ?

Do you really believe i could grow a decent amount of hair with the products you are suggesting ?
    Hi vinnytr,

I suppose that depends on your definition of "decent amount". It is possible to arrest your hair loss and grow some back. How much and whether or not it will be appreciable is something you cannot know until you have tried. It takes a long time though, at least a year. I don't think you look so bad now. I think even if you only gain back a little bit you will still look good - and every little bit helps.

I am a little confused though, i thought this was a HT website where people are looking to get info and some research done before they decide where to go?
    This web forum is for sharing the truth about treating hair loss. One of those truths is that hair transplant surgery is a last resort. Another truth is that in order to really get hair loss under control you have to treat the cause. Hair transplant surgery does nothing to stop your hair loss. It just fills in what you've lost. Hair loss is a progressive condition. You will continue to lose hair after hair transplant surgery if you do nothing to treat the cause and maintain your non-DHT resistant hair. This can lead you to feeling very dissatisfied with your outcome in the years to come.

Take care,

Tracy

Buddy , you are already buzzing your head
    As much as you might not like it , just keep it that way .
    IMO it looks good
    There's no way you are going to grow more hair no matter what pills, potions, lotions and electrical devices you use.......again IMO
    You can take a pill for the rest of your life and it may halt further hair loss but then you may encounter the sexual side effects that soem of us got
    You've done what some people consider the hard part and that was buzzing your head .
    Now just move on and don't even think about a HT .