+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Hey Vinny, I am with you all the way on the treatment thing. Minoxidil and Propecia to me are snake oil. Use spend hundreds and even thousands on these topical treatments and pills for years and after donating so much time and money you end up getting 13 extra hairs in a zone where you need 5000. Also propecia is chemically based and not a natural product. For doctors to say there is no side effects, I believe is reckless. ALL medications have some kind of side effect. It is impossible for them not to have any. Your mouth and digestive system were designed by the creator to digest living plant life food that grows on the earth, not chemicals made in a lab. All chemicals get filtered through your gall bladder, pancreas, or kidneys and years of abuse of chemicals will cause some type of problem. That being said it personally looks to me that the amount of area you would want to cover would take multiple surgeries using the highest number of grafts each time. Supposedly the donor area only has 6000 to 7000 good follicles and I dont believe that is going to give you great coverage over your total area. As a reference I had 3000 grafts done and I just had a thinning across the top and a little balding in the crown. That along with possible failure with the procedure, shock fallout, bumps, scars, pain,and cost I would recommend you shave that puppy and do the bald thing. You look great like that. I have a good friend that went shaved and now he would look strange with hair because everyone is so used to it.

If you opt for a transplant then you will want to get on a proven DHT blocker, and the only options right now are finasteride and dutasteride. If you have the procedure done but don't take meds to stop further hair loss, you'll end up looking awkward in a few years when all the native hairs fall out around the transplanted area.
    This is sadly just the way it is. Transplants are a waste of time and money if not combined with medication.
    If you decide to go for the procedure, I'd recommend first spending at least 12-14 months on fin or dut to stabilize your hair loss. It's harder for a surgeon to make a good judgment on where to add grafts when your hair count is in free fall.
    If it makes you feel any better, I've been on finasteride for more than a year with good results. It seemed to stop hair loss within 6-10 months and my hair began thickening after that. Actually I'm happy with the results.
    The only side effect I've noticed is a slight change in texture of ejaculatory fluid (sorry, too much info, but it's medically relevant) which may or may not have resulted from the drug (my lifestyle choices are not consistent so there are always slight changes happening to my body over time). Otherwise I'm fine; I haven't noticed any kind of breast enlargement, erectile dysfunction, sex drive decrease, or any of the other sides you've read about.
    I've said it before and I'll say it again: there is a few % chance you'll experience minor side effects on DHT blockers. If that happens to you, you can quit the drug. However, without meds, there is a 100% chance you will keep losing hair. If you're comfortable going bald then there's no problem. I'm just being honest about the reality of this condition.

I think Vinny and others are entitled to other opinions on what will stop hair loss. Saying that medications are the only way is just plain false. Why is it for thousands of years men kept all their hair until old age without medications. First off I firmly do not believe it to be genetic. This is always mans answer when we simply can't figure out the real reason. Its already been proven over and over that disease is not genetic but lifestyle. Nobody says lung cancer is in the genes but readily blame the genes for things like breast cancer because they haven't figured out the real cause. I believe DHT is a rogue testosterone that is not suppose to naturally occur. I believe it is caused by some reaction to the fake synthetic hormones that are pumped into cattle to produce bigger cows and pigs and make more milk also. We digest these man made hormones when eating meat and digesting dairy products and whammo. the first and biggest thing you can do is cut out red meat and dairy. Also there are other natural remedies for blocking DHT. Studies have shown that saw palmetto and other natural bark and herbs will block dht in the system and apple cider vinegar in the system and on your scalp also blocks dht and cleans pores. If you look online for natural cures for hairloss you will find lots of info. There are also many vitamins especially in the b vitamin category that promote hair growth. Only the pharmaceutical industry wants us to believe meds are the only answer.

Everyone is entitled to an opinion, but believing a claim without evidence when the clock is ticking on your hair follicles will lead you to waste time on ineffective treatments - and lose more hair you could have saved. There is no scientific study showing any "natural" remedy to effectively slow, stop or reverse male-pattern hair loss. Period.

As for genes: they absolutely influence your susceptibility to certain conditions and diseases. That doesn't mean there aren't other influencing factors, but genetic vulnerability is something we know exists. Sometimes it is the primary factor in a given condition, which by all appearances is the case with male-pattern balding. This is why some people treat their bodies like crap and live long lives (with full heads of hair), while others go out of their way to have a healthy lifestyle and die of a heart attack at age 50 (and bald).
    There is no demonstrated link between dairy and male-pattern baldness, or meat and male-pattern baldness; in fact there are bald lactose intolerant people, and bald lifelong vegetarians. There are also many meat eaters and milk fiends with full heads of hair.
    There are vitamins that play a role in the quality of your existing hair and maybe even the rate of growth, but none of them seem to slow, stop or reverse the miniaturization process.
    As for everyone keeping full heads of hair until old age for thousands of years, there's not evidence that actually happened. However, for most of our species' history it was typical to die in one's teens or twenties, so in that sense I'm sure the rate of hair loss was lower.
    DHT actually is a natural human hormone, playing a role in both human embryos and adults.

I don't mean to be argumentative but you have to be careful about jumping to conclusions and what you read. There is a lot of snake oil and unethical activity revolving around hair loss. Remember, the herbal supplement industry is no different from the pharm industry: it's made up of people who want to make money. The difference is, they haven't demonstrated that any of their hair loss products actually work.
    Male-pattern baldness is a progressive condition that doesn't stop. Bottom line: ignoring proven treatments to spend months or years on "alternative" remedies means sacrificing hair you could otherwise save and improve. We know what works: finasteride, dutasteride, minoxidil and ketoconazole. Everything else is speculation. There are undoubtedly other treatments possible, but none so far have been proven to work, and many others have been proven not to work.
    I honestly feel sorry for those who go from NW2's to NW6's spending thousands on alternative remedies when they just could have seen a doctor and stayed NW2's the whole time. If you're going to experiment, at least stay on a proven treatment until you see results from something else. It's not like you get a second chance to stop your hair loss.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmyhair View Post
    Saying that medications are the only way is just plain false.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmyhair View Post
    First off I firmly do not believe it to be genetic.
    No matter how true something is, you simply cannot convince anyone of anything they simply do not want to believe.

For the benefit of anyone else reading this thread. The only pills or lotions that are proven to work to treat hereditary hair loss are Propecia (or generic Finasteride) and Rogaine (or generic Minoxidil).

The is no legitimate evidence that "natural" hair loss remedies are helpful in any way to any degree.

Hereditary hair loss is genetic. That is the truth. That is reality. Hiding from that reality is not going to help you.

Well I think people who believe that hair loss is automatic because of genes and there is no way of stopping it because the genes say so, are actually the short sided. Are you 5,000 years old and been around to watch every head of hair on earth? NO. If it is genetic then why do you have many families with a dad and granddad and a great granddad with a full head of hair and then a son who is 25 and balding? My personal belief is that you two are the ones that won't believe anything no matter what evidence is presented. First, I never said meat and dairy causes balding. In case you didn't read my post carefully enough I said the recent practice, as in last 20 years, of pumping cattle with synthetic hormones is what I believe is causing the dht levels in men to rise that in turn causes the hair loss. Also saying that because every man in the country is not bald so that proves that it is not an outside factor and must be genes is simply childish and unscientific and usually comes from people that have a hard time understanding the complexity of science and also just like to blame a simple reason that they see fit. There are millions of examples of a causes being the scientific cause but not giving a result in all people. I mean please. I can shoot 10 people in the chest with a 22 rifle and 5 might die and 5 may live. To say that the death of the 5 was not caused by the bullet because the other 5 didn't die is a joke. A perfect example that the general public likes to reject is autism. The real people who have sought after the truth know that it is caused in some shape or form by vaccines given to children. The FDA has tried to crush every study showing this for fear of losing billions in lawsuits. The justified attitude of people who say its not the reason because every child gets vaccines but every child doesn't get autism are actually the ones ignoring the true evidence. The true evidence is you have to get a vaccine to get autism. There is not one recorded case of autism in the entire world and in the history of the world in a person that was never vaccinated. Yes, in this country every child gets a vaccine except amish people but billions of people worldwide that don't live in the US or Europe do not get vaccinated. Guess what? Do they have 1 in a 100 affected by autism? NO, they don't have any of the billions affected by it. Statistically IMPOSSIBLE if it came from genes. Also statistically IMPOSSIBLE is the fact that autism has risen from 1 in 10,000 to 1 in 100 in just a few short years. Again ask any mathematician who specializes in law of averages and statistical projections and they will tell you something passed by genes could not change that quickly. It would take millions of years to jump from 1 in 10,000 to 1 in 100. There have been studies done in people that have not been vaccinated as a child and even books written on it. There are more than 100 amish people in this country and not one with autism. As a matter of fact a man who wrote a book on it went to Pennsylvania to study the biggest amish community in the country. TENS OF THOUSANDS of Amish people which would mean he should have found at least hundreds of autistic kids. He found 3 and all were adopted from outside the amish community and had received vaccines between the ages of 1 and 2. HA!!! Many women have reported that there child was not autistic before he or she received vaccines but all of a sudden between the ages of 1 and 2 BECAME autistic. They clearly saw the change happen. A million dollar reward from me to anyone who can bring forth a person that has Autism and proof they were never vaccinated. Thats where the true science comes in. True science is not saying that because every child gets vaccines and not all get autism must mean its not the cause. Its saying that because there are no cases EVER where someone never vaccinated had autism means there must be a link. We here in the US think the world revolves around us and there is no world outside our borders and very few scientists look outside our borders at other communities so we get the same old garbage day after day. Did you know there millions of people in certain areas of the world where there is no autism at all? As a matter of fact there are areas of millions of people that don't have any of our modern diseases. Read up on the Hunzas that live in the himalayas and other cultures still living off the land in a natural way. No cancer or heart disease or diabetes or near sightedness or many other things in any of the population as everyone lives well into the 100's. Yes time to take our heads out of the American sand and look around. So you see true science is looking at the connections and not cheap excuses like "well everybody doesn't have it". The truth is people like to run from real answers to justify themselves and there way of life. They just want a magic pill to make it go away. There is clear evidence that baldness is INCREASING in modern life and there is also evidence that natural remedies work. There are pages upon pages written about increased hair growth with certain vitamins. As Americans we are also vitamin deficient regardless of all the supplements because we do not have the natural pieces in place to absorb the vitamins. So again it is reckless to use simple opinion to say that the only dht blockers are chemical pills.

Your head is so full of misinformation that you are unable to help your self.

Its usually the ones that shout down the voice from the wilderness that are the blinded. Provide scientific evidence of the contrary if you are so sure.

I'm sure you have good intentions but you're falling for cheap conspiracy theories. Correlation does not equal cause; stick to peer-reviewed journals.
    The link between vaccines and autism was a myth perpetuated by a British doctor who wanted to formulate his own vaccine and make millions from it; turns out he was a fraud.
    The reason sometimes a dad keeps his hair and his son goes bald, or vice versa? That's how genes work. The outcome of two people reproducing is never certain. Same reason two parents with brown eyes can have a kid with blue or green eyes.
    There is evidence that certain vitamins affect hair growth, but not that they interfere with male-pattern hair loss.

When there is a reviewable, reproducible study showing that any natural treatment or lifestyle change has an appreciable effect on baldness, I will gladly change my decision-making accordingly. But I'm not going to rely on speculation over proven treatments and go from a NW1.5 or 2 to a NW5-6 like the countless hair loss sufferers who load up on green tea and saw palmetto for years on end with no results. And I don't recommend you do that either - keep the hair you have, it's worth it.

It is the peer reviewed journals and science done in a lab that are the actual problem. The real scientists that made real discoveries like Newton and Einstein used MATH for their science, not petry dishes. Stats show that autism in the US and UK is 1 in 100 yet in China and Mexico it is 1 in 1000. Why? Do you understand the difference in that? Math my friend shows that if it was genetics it would be equal everywhere unless you believe God hates Americans. Modern lifestyle is the cause of most of our diseases. In America we have understood and research cancer since the 1800's. In 1920 5% of people would get some type of cancer and it has grown every year since the industrial revolution to the point now where it is 45% of Americans who will get some form of cancer. If you don't understand that math shows that to be IMPOSSIBLE if being passed by the genes then there is nothing I can say to you. If you fill an island with 1000 brown eyed people and 100 blue eyed people and let the brown eyed people have 5 kids for every 1 kid the blue eyed people had it would take millions of years to eliminate the blue eyed people. Anything gene related takes a very long time to affect the total numbers. You just can't get that wrapped around your mind. Autism has gone from 1 in 150 to 1 in 100 in just the last few years. Statistically impossible without an outside influence. The excuse that we didn't know what it was 100 years ago doesn't fly. Many diseases have been understood for a long time and they are increasing. Anyone disagreeing with the fact that autism is related to vaccines please spare me the talk and produce a person who has the syndrome that never had a vaccine as a child and I will give you a million dollars in cash. Enough said.