+ Reply to Thread

Default shedding short hairs after 1 month on Avodart!

Hi everyone
    I'm a 19 years old guy who found out he started losing hair. I have a full head of hair except 2 little almost empty temples, my hairs are receding a little so I started the treatment soon(I don't have hair loss on vertex or crown, I only lose hair on temples). doctor game me Avodart and I'm taking 0.5mg everyday.
    after one month of taking Avodart my hair on the temples starts a dramatic shedding. it freaks me out! I never lose this amount of hairs in one day. I heard that is normal and it means that the treatment is working but the problem is that only short and thin hairs fall and I don't lose my normal longer hair (I had a haircut 1.5 months ago and my hairs are long enough but the hairs which fall are all 100% short)
    for example if my normal hairs are 4cm/1.6 inch the hairs which fall are all less than 1 cm/0.4 inch. I lose too many of these short hairs each day
    I doubt if its initial shedding cause I'm only 1 month on Avodart! people experience initial shedding after being 2-4 month being on the drug
    Is that normal/initial shedding? should I stop the treatment?

i have been on propecia now for 8 months. in the first 4-5 months i did experience heavy shedding (what's heavy?--well i shed at least 200 hairs every day). it was really difficult to experience that when i was already suffering from hair loss to begin with! like you the majority of the hairs i shed were short--this is because the drug propecia (and i believe advodart as well) is getting rid of the short weaker hairs that have already been affected by dht in order to make way for healthier stronger hair follicles. unfortunately shedding is part of the process, but the good news is that it shows the medication is working. my shedding stopped considerably at about the 6th month mark. at this point i do feel that i have my hair loss under much better control then i did 8 months ago. i have also just recently begun minoxidil--i recommend the foam by rogaine as it does NOT use propylene glycol which is a form of alcohol that can irritate the scalp! the truth with every form of hair loss treatment is that is takes at least one year to see benefits. good luck to you.

I haven't experienced any shedding when I changed to avodart from propecia. This is where I been buying it without a prescription if anyone is curious http://www.validonlinepharmacy.com if you want an easy place to get it. Hope this helps.

Why did the doc start you on Avodart rather than finasteride? Where do u live?

Quote Originally Posted by philippe View Post
    i have been on propecia now for 8 months. in the first 4-5 months i did experience heavy shedding (what's heavy?--well i shed at least 200 hairs every day). it was really difficult to experience that when i was already suffering from hair loss to begin with! like you the majority of the hairs i shed were short--this is because the drug propecia (and i believe advodart as well) is getting rid of the short weaker hairs that have already been affected by dht in order to make way for healthier stronger hair follicles. unfortunately shedding is part of the process, but the good news is that it shows the medication is working. my shedding stopped considerably at about the 6th month mark. at this point i do feel that i have my hair loss under much better control then i did 8 months ago. i have also just recently begun minoxidil--i recommend the foam by rogaine as it does NOT use propylene glycol which is a form of alcohol that can irritate the scalp! the truth with every form of hair loss treatment is that is takes at least one year to see benefits. good luck to you.
    Hi Philippe
    I also been taking Avodart for about a month and also loosing hair more then did with Propecia,
    as soon as i started using Propecia then 2nd day i noticed less hair falling off on the sink in the morning, and by 3rd day almost no hair could be found on the sink
    this is why i dont think that Avodart is loosing any hair on purpose to make way for healthier hair,
    you probably asking "well then what could it be"
    i wish i had the answer but i dont know.
    i been researching about Avodart for the entire month, and read about many guys on Avodart and came to conclusion
    that this drug is still in the gray area with hair losse and every guy experinces different results

how many mg of Avodart a day do you take?
    im taking .5mg