+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by Tracy C View Post
    First and foremost, conditioning is very good for your hair in and of itself. I honestly do not understand why men are so reluctant to use conditioner. I just don't get that. Maybe it's just one of those guy things...
    Yeah I guess there is some amount of guy like stigma for me. I'm your type guy with a vanity strand or two, heck I am already contemplating what other bottle to put the Nizoral stuff in to hide it. But as well, I hate adding anything more I gotta do to my day as even the little things add up, and believe me, there are plenty of people already doing that plenty well for me so...

But also too is with my Irish complexion, I found that many conditioners will cause me some slight problems. 99% of the time I shower at night, and most often just before I go to bed. So then things like conditioners get into the linens and then the next thing you know, I'm washing them everyday if I don't want the side effects of that, and even with, at a point, that doesn't seem to help.

Also I can work in some pretty dirty and sweaty environments and I don't need things attracting any stuff to and keeping it in my hair, and/or of something I used coming out of the hair onto my skin in those situations either.

As well, for my hair, I just never liked what they did, in my opinion, and from the feed back I have gotten from others, its much nicer just the way it is naturally.

Anyway, so long as not using one will not reduce any of the positive effects I am looking for from it, I'll hold off on that for now
    Nizoral is an adjunct to treatment. What that means is it helps the other treatment. It helps ensure your scalp is healthy for treatment, which is an important thing. The active ingredient in Nizoral is a mild anti-androgen that may block DHT at the scalp. I use Nizoral myself because I believe it is playing a part in my treatment regimen.
    Ha, Tracy you made me learn a new word today. I actually looked up the word "adjunct" and basically the definition itself was enough.

Quote Originally Posted by *******user View Post
    For this entire thread please clarify whether you are talking about 1% OTC Nizoral, or 2% (often) prescription Nizoral.
    The Nizoral is the 1% I believe, and I got it from drugstore.com here: http://www.drugstore.com/nizoral-ant...omsrch=Nizoral and there were no questions of any kind asked that I recall

Just placed the order for two bottles, got free shipping as it was over $25.00, did have to pay $1.97 tax ):-(~ , and I had it in three days.

What are the instructions? They are to lather it in and let it sit for three to five minutes. This is so the medicine can absorb into the scalp. Once the medicine is absorbed, you are not going rinse it away or dilute it.
    Actually just for clarification an this is partly why I asked about this point, for the box that I got, it says nothing about leaving it in for any amount of time. Just the standard, lather, rinse, repeat. The bottle says the same. It does talk about using it every 3-4 days for up to 8 weeks or as directed by a doctor, then only use as needed.

Kinda don't know if "they" mean use it for 3-4 straight and then break that up with one reg shampoo, or alternating that each day or what?

But that's why I was asking as I'm pretty sure I remember most on the boards who were looking to use it to help with hair loss, were doing the leave it in for 3-5 min method.

Well I guess I will play it by ear, kinda have a feeling my hair and scalp could take a day or two of succession uses and then a break. But will just play with the most I can use it for the side effects without going over maybe 3 straight uses, or maybe 4 total for the week.

Thanks for all the help.

You don't seem to know much about conditioners and how to use them. But I will leave that alone.

The instructions I have in front of me say to leave it sit for three to five minutes, then rinse it out completely. I am also talking about the 1% Nizoral A-D version.

"Use every 3-4 days" does not mean to use it for three to four days straight. It means after your first use, use it again three to four days later. Then again three to four days after that and so on. Using Nizoral three to four days straight with slight breaks is over using it. Over using Nizoral can dry out your hair and scalp.

You don't seem to know much about conditioners and how to use them. But I will leave that alone.
    Oh for sure, not a authority on them at all. Probably would be good to learn and mess with the thousands that are out there till I find the right one but again, I'm happy without one so far. Heck you should know I can't even deal with playing with shampoos either like this and just use the stuff from Costo.

Its actually funny as the girl who cuts my hair every once in a while after we are done will say, here try this product and its usually some type of conditioner and as I just figure why aggravate her, so I let her do it. And then I just hate it and just can't wait to get home to wash it out. But I know she knows hair and is certainly seeing what I got and using something she's knows is best for it, but so far what ever she uses I just hate it. Just like the natural thing. But I appreciate your advice and also know we are dealing with a different condition here then normal in that I am now using something that could change things, so I will keep it in mind if I see any problems.

The instructions I have in front of me say to leave it sit for three to five minutes, then rinse it out completely. I am also talking about the 1% Nizoral A-D version.
    Strange as I'm pretty sure we are talking about the same product and you can see the one I got from that link, but it doesn't say that on the box or the bottle

I think there was a stretch where this stuff was not getting made for a bit up till just recently so maybe that has been changed on the box?

At any rate, considering the little I have learned about what I am using it for, I agree with you that letting it sit for a bit so the ingredient can soak in, is the probably the better way.

"Use every 3-4 days" does not mean to use it for three to four days straight. It means after your first use, use it again three to four days later. Then again three to four days after that and so on. Using Nizoral three to four days straight with slight breaks is over using it. Over using Nizoral can dry out your hair and scalp.
    Ah, you know what, with what you just said, I get it that way to now. So I will go by that.

As always, thanks so much for all the help Tracy.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirkland21 View Post
    Its actually funny as the girl who cuts my hair every once in a while after we are done will say, here try this product and its usually some type of conditioner and as I just figure why aggravate her, so I let her do it. And then I just hate it and just can't wait to get home to wash it out.
    That sounds like she is using a leave-in conditioner in your hair. There are two types of conditioners, the kind you rinse out and the kind you leave in. I use both because I have long hair and I use styling tools. Leave-in conditioners help you detangle your hair if it is long and prevents fly-aways. They also protect your hair from your styling tools such as an iron and blow dryer. I don't have any of the issues you described from using either type of conditioner. I do know that if you have short hair and you don't use styling tools, you do not need a leave-in conditioner.

Yeah I don't mean to quote that as my only experience, I have tried the type you are probably talking about too and again, for my particular things, just wasn't good and for some of the stuff I mentioned.

But I appreciate your advice and will keep it in mind.

Thanks again Tracy.

Note that Nizoral Shampoo only has U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) approval for the treatment of dandruff and seborrheic dermatitis of the scalp, so although Nizoral may be useful as a hair loss remedy, it cannot be endorsed or marketed as one to the general public.

Even the 1% version - if you follow the instructions - should only be used 'once every 1 or 2 weeks to prevent dandruff from coming back' after the initial using of every 3 or 4 days. Long term use twice a week, you might say, is not FDA approved.

Default How to use Nizoral Top?

How to use Nizoral Top

Use this medication on the skin only. Clean and thoroughly dry the area to be treated. Apply this medication to the affected skin, usually once or twice a day or as directed by your doctor. Dosage and length of treatment depends on the type of infection being treated. Do not apply this more often than prescribed. Your condition will not clear faster, but side effects may be increased.

Apply enough medication to cover the affected skin and some of the surrounding skin. After applying this medication, wash your hands. Do not wrap, cover or bandage the area unless directed to do so by your doctor.

Do not apply this medication in the eyes, nose, mouth, or vagina. If this medication gets in the eyes (e.g., when used to treat dandruff), rinse thoroughly with water.

Use this medication regularly in order to get the most benefit from it. Remember to use it at the same time(s) each day.

Continue to use this medication until the full prescribed amount is finished, even if symptoms disappear after starting ketoconazole. Stopping the medication too early may allow the fungus to continue to grow, which may result in a relapse of the infection.

Inform your doctor if your condition persists after the prescribed amount of treatment or worsens at any time.
    Feel free to visit my website Phoenix AZ pest control

I've used Nizoral as a treatment for my dandruff and itchy scalp mainly, though I am experiencing early stages of hair loss and I found it to be quite helpful. Aside from getting rid of itch and flakes on my scalp and strands, when I use Nizoral, I noticed my hair fall isn't as handful as it is without Nizoral.

I use it about once to three times a week depending on my scalp's itch condition and I still use propecia with it too.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirkland21 View Post
    Hello all

Well I got some of the NIZORAL product and was wondering how best to use it.

Obviously the product is meant by the makers for dandruff and they don't mention anything in the instructions on how best to use it for hair loss.

So I was just wondering how best to do this?

Can I or should I use the product every time I shampoo?

If not, should I use it a at least as much as I can for the first few months?

Should I be leaving it in for some time, or should I just rinse it right out?

Thanks for any help.
    I read that you shouldn't use it more than 2 -3 times a week or you'll get little red bumps on your head at http://www.michaelmooney.net/hair.html

I have it and use it about twice a week. I have no idea if it's doing anything, but why not.