+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default How best to use NIZORAL ?

Hello all

Well I got some of the NIZORAL product and was wondering how best to use it.

Obviously the product is meant by the makers for dandruff and they don't mention anything in the instructions on how best to use it for hair loss.

So I was just wondering how best to do this?

Can I or should I use the product every time I shampoo?

If not, should I use it a at least as much as I can for the first few months?

Should I be leaving it in for some time, or should I just rinse it right out?

Thanks for any help.

At first, use it as instructed on the bottle, which is probably once every three to four days in place of your regular shampoo for up to eight weeks. From then on, only use it once per week in place of your regular shampoo. Make sure to also use a good quality moisturizing conditioner.

Keep in mind that Nizoral IS NOT a treatment for hair loss. Nizoral is an adjuct to a hair loss treatment regimen - not a treatment itself. By itself, Nizoral may be able to prevent further loss, though that has not yet been proven. There is reasonable evidence to suggest it might but there is no evidence to suggest the it stimulates hair to grow.

Hello Tracy
    Quote Originally Posted by Tracy C View Post
    Make sure to also use a good quality moisturizing conditioner.
    I don't have and never have used any kind of conditioners. I really hope I won't have to start using one either. And I have read what you wrote below but just to ask this anyway.....is there a reason you are recommending one in as far as in a relation to how the product will work in its relation to supporting reduced hair loss?

Keep in mind that Nizoral IS NOT a treatment for hair loss. Nizoral is an adjuct to a hair loss treatment regimen - not a treatment itself. By itself, Nizoral may be able to prevent further loss, though that has not yet been proven. There is reasonable evidence to suggest it might but there is no evidence to suggest the it stimulates hair to grow.
    I could probably go on for a while on this and also as well, I'm not much educated on this stuff either, but I think its safe to say that of the three things I am doing (actually haven't got the Propecia prescript yet but have been using Rogain foam for about a year and with some success) that I would think the Nizoral is probably going to do the least.

But I was hoping for something.

But from what you wrote, I am at least interpreting it that you are basically saying its not going to do anything.

But I'm thinking though that wouldn't be the case, so I was just wondering what you think it will do and how I should be using it to help?

Quote Originally Posted by Kirkland21 View Post
    Hello Tracy I don't have and never have used any kind of conditioners. I really hope I won't have to start using one either.
    First and foremost, conditioning is very good for your hair in and of itself. I honestly do not understand why men are so reluctant to use conditioner. I just don't get that. Maybe it's just one of those guy things...

As far as using a conditioner with Nizoral goes. Nizoral can dry your hair and scalp, especially if you over use it. Using a good quality moisturizing conditioner helps prevent that - and using a conditioner is a good good idea anyways whether you are using Nizoral or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirkland21 View Post
    I'm not much educated on this stuff either, but I think its safe to say that of the three things I am doing that I would think the Nizoral is probably going to do the least.
    Nizoral is an adjunct to treatment. What that means is it helps the other treatment. It helps ensure your scalp is healthy for treatment, which is an important thing. The active ingredient in Nizoral is a mild anti-androgen that may block DHT at the scalp. I use Nizoral myself because I believe it is playing a part in my treatment regimen.

At first, use it as instructed on the bottle, which is probably once every three to four days in place of your regular shampoo for up to eight weeks. From then on, only use it once per week in place of your regular shampoo. Make sure to also use a good quality moisturizing conditioner.

Actually Nizoral has been shown to have the same affect as Rogaine 2% so it is a treatment for hairloss. There is no FDA to support this, but several studies have been done.

I use Nizoral 3x a week and I agree, a good quality conditioner is a must. It leaves your hair very flat and dry.

Quote Originally Posted by agent00 View Post
    Actually Nizoral has been shown to have the same affect as Rogaine 2% so it is a treatment for hairloss. There is no FDA to support this, but several studies have been done.

I use Nizoral 3x a week and I agree, a good quality conditioner is a must. It leaves your hair very flat and dry.
    For this entire thread please clarify whether you are talking about 1% OTC Nizoral, or 2% (often) prescription Nizoral. I understand, that one of the 'reasons' for 2% often being prescription is the possible link between ketoconazole (in Nizoral) and liver damage. Even when I bought 1% from an Amazon source, they wanted a statement of how old I was, and what I was using the product for.

Tracy, can you answer this one? How can you be sure that using and fully rinsing out the conditioner after a Nizoral shampoo does not dilute the effect of the Nizoral?

There is no FDA to support this, but several studies have been done.
    There was only one study. Though the results showed promise. The number of participants in the study was not enough and the duration of the study was too short.

You are over using Nizoral. This will not only make your hair dry and flat for sure but it can also worsen your hair loss. Once or twice per week is enough. More than twice per week is too much.

Quote Originally Posted by *******user View Post
    How can you be sure that using and fully rinsing out the conditioner after a Nizoral shampoo does not dilute the effect of the Nizoral?
    Read the label on the bottle.

There was only one study. Though the results

Read the label on the bottle.
    There is no mention of 'conditoner' at all, either on my bottle or in the comprehensive leaflet inside the box. My product is labeled 'Nizoral Dandruff Shampoo' ketoconazole 20 mg/g. McNeil Products, Ltd., Maidenhead, Berkshire, SL6 3UG, UK (Product Licence holder)
    Manufacturer: Jensenn Pharmaceutica, Beerse, Belgium
    'Nizoral is a registered trade mark'

Just in the same way, my Coca Cola might be manufactured under licence in Dublin, or wherever, all over the globe, I am assuming my Nizoral is similarly licensed. Am I wrong?

Either way, there is no mention of the use of a conditioner.

For 'registered trademarks' see: http://xsjja.maclenet.com/nizoral/nizoral-281.html

I would appreciate your comment.

See also:

http://www.nizoral.com/

which mentions Nizoral shampoo A-D. The site is for USA users. Again, McNeil is mentioned.

I have only just started using this, and have little or no knowledge or experience of this product. It just seemed sensible to start on the 1% and see how I got on.

We need to know whether it is the 1% or 2% this thread is talking about. Other things being equal the 1% should be used more frequently than the 2%, as I understand it.

What are the instructions? They are to lather it in and let it sit for three to five minutes. This is so the medicine can absorb into the scalp. Once the medicine is absorbed, you are not going rinse it away or dilute it.