+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Dr Rahal

Quote Originally Posted by Follicle Death Row View Post
    Hell no. I don't think he'd go that far. He's clearly very passionate about playing for the national side. His form suffered when they hit him with that ban. I actually forgot about the Euros. He'd still have time after the Euros to get a second pass and recover in time for the start of the new season I think.
    It just came to mind as soon as I read that you think he will have another HT this summer, I thought to myself does he have the summer free and thought no the Euro's then thought about his red card and ban and put 2 and 2 together.

Simply because it was a ridiculous foul, booting someone in the leg, it was so unnecessary, England were going through to the Euro's and that Montenegro player did nothing to provoke him so it made me think that maybe he was trying to get out of the Euro's so he has time for a HT and to recover.

I know it seems a crazy thought, but you never know, Rooney is a little crazy + we all know how hairloss affects ourselves and others. Personally if I was Rooney my hair would be more important to me than a Euro tournament. But yes it is probably far fetched and yes he probably still will have time to get it done after, or even before the Euro's start.

Hi Sausage,

Have you had a consultation yet? Dr Rahal should be in the UK this year, but no dates are set. You can always send photos, either to me or through the website.

It might be possible to speak to UK-based patients, depending on the practicalities like how close you are to each other.

If I can be of assistance then just give me a shout.
    I am a patient and representative of Dr Rahal

My FUE With Dr Rahal - Awesome Hairline Result

I can be contacted for advice: matt@rahalhairline.com

Quote Originally Posted by sausage View Post
    What I have seen is good enough for me to say I am happy with people's results, I don't really think its possible to meet someone who has had a transplant and see the result for real. I understand its not going to be exactly the same as a normal head of hair but it will be 100x better than a bald head. As I have mentioned in previous posts Wayne Rooney an English footballer had his done recently at a clinic in London which is not a rated clinic for HT's and his results are amazing, if a surgeon who is not known for their transplant skills can achieve those results then what Dr Rahal should be able to achieve should be just as good or better.

I have looked into many hair restoration things for the 10 years I have been balding I do not think I need to look any longer. I do not agree with Propecia, I believe it to be a load of rubbish, if it worked no1 would be bald.

The main reason I am confident and happy to go for a hair transplant is because of Wayne Rooneys result. Just looking at his hair now proves to me that hair transplants work (I think) I still have my doubts that he's possibly quite thin up top but is chucking consealants on his head. I also don't know if it will fall out in the longer term but I don't really have time to see him progress, I am 27 and need to have it done this year really. Ideally I wish he had it done a year to 2 years ago to see how it was after that period of time then I would know for sure if it has worked.

But hey ho......I aim to get it done this year.

There are other British celebrities that have had it done and their hair looks great so from what I have seen hair transplants can truly create awesome results. Jude Law has recently been wearing hats a lot, he even wore one on a british chat show, I expect he has had something done, I guess we will find out soon. He said he wears hats to cover up a ridiculous hair style that he has for a new film - not to sure about that, hopefully he has has something done as I would love to see him have great results, that would make me go for a transplant even more if his went well.
    There is a reason probably 8 out of 10 hair transplant doctors would recommend you get on propecia (includind Dr Rahal). As it has a 83% or something chance of maintaining the hair you have and maybe slight thickening. Also have a look at #hairtransplant network blog# for peoples own photos of there tranplants to give you a good idea if you have not already. If you develope into a norward 6 or 7, 6000 grafts unless you have excellent hair characteristics (curly, frizzy or wavy or not to contrasted hair to skin colour) aint gonna cover much. The spacing between your arm hair will be similar.
    Also Spex might be able to organize to meet someone in the Uk or even Dr Rahal would have patients who might be able to meet up in person to see there results.
    Propecia may something to have a second think about as there are treatments such as Histogen, Replical, and Aderans which may (hopefully) not be too far off and if you can keep alot of the hair you have this would be helpful to you.
    Not trying to put you off a transplant just trying to help.

The one thing that worried me was when I saw Dr. Dan McGrath (hope I'm getting the name right, apologies if not) say that propecia is beneficial for HTs even if the patient is a norwood 5 or 6. This got me wondering and I quizzed him on it. He replied saying that it's undeniable that propecia has an effect even on the donor hair from the safe zone, helping to increase or maintain the hair shaft diameter (calibre). That therefore supposedly makes it important for maximising coverage with the transplanted hair in the recipient. It's a little worrying to say the least but I haven't seen that discussed anywhere else.

However, you must bear in mind that the top docs still plan to use your donor in such away that should propecia lose it's effectiveness and you progress to a nw6 you'll have enough to have some decent coverage and a nice result. I guess everyone wants FUE but to get maximum numbers you'd have to look at a combo of FUT and FUE long term. Some people are fortunate to be able to extract near to 9000 over say 3 strips and then add another 2000ish by FUE. This sort of plan is expensive but it may be what some of the younger guys would need to meet their expect lofty expectations.

I think you have to consider that propecia may well lose it's effectiveness over time and you have to plan for going to norwood 6. I personally think the docs need to have a plan for up to 240cm2 of baldness, even for that norwood 2.5 young guy (mid to late 20s) with a family history of norwood 4 at worst. You could make a case that if a young man had very good donor and can get 11,000 over a lifetime by all methods and provide "50% density" all over including the crown. It's just very important that the patient knows what could happen down the line. If you go nw7 though you're in trouble and this is the risk they take.

It can be done without propecia it's just that you'll find yourself back in the chair a lot sooner looking to bulk up the first one. He's an example where I believe the patient decided not to take propecia. I believe he's had around 7300 or maybe it was 7500 with another strip of 2500 left I think if he needs it down the line. Unless of course Dr. Feller meant that the patient's remaining 2500-2800 was by FUE only. Correct me if I have the numbers wrong Spex.

http://www.baldtruthtalk.com/showthread.php?t=2326

I understand that some want to start with FUE and tap into those reserves first (I'd probably feel this way at the moment) and play a wait and see game for both their hair loss progression and to see if say 10 years down the line there's a nice cellular therapy that maintains or restores the crown forever. While expensive that's fair enough and would be something I might consider. Worst case scenario though you'd have to be prepared to do FUT down the line if you want a good head of hair.

Lastly I think the HD videos are giving us all a much better idea of the reality of the situation re transplants. Hasson and Wong have a fantastic video gallery. I think the IAHRS should make it mandatory to advertise patients results (at least in house documentation that is posted by the clinics) in HD video.

I will always be sceptical about Propecia, I don't really believe what they claim.

I looked into all that Minoxidil and Propecia stuff when I first started losing my hair and eventually convinced myself its all a load of balls.

I have always thought to myself: If these medications worked I think everyone would know about it, Propecia is not advertised anywhere. They have only recently started advertising Minoxidil which in my eyes is a useless con.

I may be wrong but thats how I feel about it and I don't think that would change.

If I had surgery and a transplant surgeon recommended Propecia I would probably give it a go just on the slight chance and hope that it would help. The surgeons obviously make money from selling Propecia on to their customers and also want you to take it - not cos they are confident it works (I doubt they really know the real effects it has for sure) but also in the hope that it will work and therefore potentially help in making you a satisfied customer.

I do remember buying some kind of pills about 8 years ago - must have been Propecia, cost me an arm and a leg, I was a student at the time, I think I bought a very small amount of pills for £300, biggest waste of money I have ever spent, would have been better sticking grass to my head with a pritt stick.

So they are my views on the wishy washy hair loss prevention medications out there.

There is officially no cure for baldness. Thats a fact.

Thats up to you if you dont want to use propecia. I know for a fact Dr Rahal will recommend you use it. He wont make you use it but will recommend it. Also you can use Proscar and cut it into Four pieces. Cost you SFA and you can get a prescription from your local GP or talk to Specs about how to get it in the UK. Depending on your hairloss have you read up about Replical etc in the Future/cutting edge treatments in this forum? If it works, some say they will know by April it may be an advantage to not of had surgery to your scalp leaving scar tissue? Anyways good luck all the best

Quote Originally Posted by doinmyheadin View Post
    If it works, some say they will know by April it may be an advantage to not of had surgery to your scalp leaving scar tissue? Anyways good luck all the best
    I'd say there's a strong possibility that it won't work as well in transplanted areas unfortunately.

I'd say there's a strong possibility that it won't work as well in transplanted areas unfortunately.
    I don't think it will work at all, and talk is that they are going to be testing up until 2013 anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by sausage View Post
    I don't think it will work at all, and talk is that they are going to be testing up until 2013 anyway.
    Well if they don't get some kind of results then stem cells are simply not going to work at all for hairloss. That could mean there will never be a cure for those that are bald. I guess it is a possibility.

I know some of the initial optimism with stem cells for some problems has waned somewhat. Geron pulled that spinal cord injury trial. They thought it would be the silver bullet but the efficacy was nigh on useless from what I've heard. However a Chinese hospital has shown it takes years and numerous treatments to slowly regain some function.

Back to hairloss, maybe the cellular treatments won't be what we're hoping for but if they could even put a permanent freeze on hairloss rather than regrowing hair it could still be very useful for many and better than current treatments, particularly for those that have not even started to bald.
    Last edited by Follicle Death Row; 01-10-2012 at 01:59 AM. Reason: Typos

Back to hairloss, maybe the cellular treatments won't be what we're hoping for but if they could even put a permanent freeze on hairloss rather than regrowing hair it could still be very useful for many and better than current treatments, particularly for those that have not even started to bald.
    I agree with you that would probably be a minimum. I am holding hope like many. But they must be on to something all 3 companies otherwise they wouldnt have the kind of money being invested into them.