+ Reply to Thread

Default Hi, Need Advice..

Hi, I have just turned 27, I have been losing hair since 16 and it has really affected my confidence and the way I have lived my life especially in recent years as it has got more obvious and have reached the stage where its best to shave it.

I have always thought Hair Transplants were useless and too expensive but...

anyone who is from the UK (as I am) will know Wayne Rooney. He is a famous footballer who is a similar age to myself who like me went bald young. About 6 months ago he had a FUE hair transplant and his hair currently looks really amazing, it looks like a natural full head of hair.

Seeing his success story has made me want a HT. Although I still have concerns about his transplant like 'will it last' and I think that maybe the surgeon took a lot of extra care with Rooney's transplant because of his huge fame.

Their are rumours in the British press that it cost him £30,000 although some say it cost £12,000. £30,000 is too expensive for me. I don't think anyone really knows how much it really cost him.

My hair is probably a little bit better than his was when he had the transplant so I would need a similar job done.

MY QUESTIONS:

Has anyone on here recently looked into transplants on the back of Rooney's Hair Transplant?

Does anyone recommend any particular surgeon?

Does anyone recommend a particular country to have it done in?

Does anyone know how long the waiting list is to have a HT?

Does anyone know what the price range of 2500-3000 grafts is, could I get a decent surgeon to do this for under £15,000?

Thanks.

Lots of people from the UK travel to Canada and the US for their procedures, it seems the best surgeons are over here. I'm booked with Dr Rahal in February, and you should be able to get a great result with your budget. Check out some of his results on this forum.

Quote Originally Posted by mg39 View Post
    Lots of people from the UK travel to Canada and the US for their procedures, it seems the best surgeons are over here. I'm booked with Dr Rahal in February, and you should be able to get a great result with your budget. Check out some of his results on this forum.
    Thanks for your reply.

May have to head over to the US then. May choose to stay out there and travel for a bit too.

I have £25,000 in my bank, If I could get a transplant done for much less than that, then that would be excellent = will have money to travel and keep some in my account for safety purposes.

When did you book your transplant? I ideally don't really want to wait any longer then 8 months.

Quote Originally Posted by sausage View Post
    Thanks for your reply.

May have to head over to the US then. May choose to stay out there and travel for a bit too.

I have £25,000 in my bank, If I could get a transplant done for much less than that, then that would be excellent = will have money to travel and keep some in my account for safety purposes.

When did you book your transplant? I ideally don't really want to wait any longer then 8 months.
    I think you will find most quality surgeons have a 2-3 month waiting list. You sound like you are in a good position to go forward financially, and making the most of your visit overseas would be worthwhile. Although, Dr Rahal is in Canada and not the US which was one of the reasons I am going with him (but way down the list, the quality of his work and how he treats his patients was first and foremost).

Quote Originally Posted by mg39 View Post
    I think you will find most quality surgeons have a 2-3 month waiting list. You sound like you are in a good position to go forward financially, and making the most of your visit overseas would be worthwhile. Although, Dr Rahal is in Canada and not the US which was one of the reasons I am going with him (but way down the list, the quality of his work and how he treats his patients was first and foremost).
    Canada is fine for me also.

As I said I ideally need the transplant to be less then £15,000 ($23,000) as I will need the rest of my £25,000 to go on a future transplant. I will also be able to save extra money for the 2nd transplant after I have the 1st.

My concerns are:

I would have to leave my current work (which I am enjoying) I could not go back there after the transplant because of the embarrassment, I would have to stay out in Canada until my hair was fixed. 1. This would use up a lot of my extra savings and I may have to get a job in Canada. 2. When I get back to the UK I think it will be impossible for me to get a job because it so hard to find work here at the moment.

I may just have to grin and bear going back to work, as long as my hair/scalp does not look stupid or sore I guess it will be ok, as long as I am passed that stage. I'd just keep it short like I currently do until it all comes through. The only problem is that it seems to take quite a few weeks to heal and my work are unlikely to give me more than 2 weeks off in one go.

Another thing is my job is currently only temporary I finish in March but it could quite easily become permanent, if it all comes to an end in March then I feel this would be an ideal time for me to take a break to Canada and get the hair transplant done.

My worst nightmare is the transplant not working, all that money, all that time saving for a deposit which was meant to be for a house gone for nothing, the one thing that keeps me positive is my current financial situation if that money went down the drain for nothing I will end up in a total mess....

You seem to think £15,000 will get me a decent transplant, I hope your right.
    If that is correct I may still be able to cope if I have the other £10,000 left in my account if all goes wrong. But if it is going to cost me £20,000+ I don't think I could afford it as I would need some money to fall back on once back in the UK.

Do you know the english soccer player Wayne Rooney and have you seen his transplant results?

PS. I have sent an email to a Dr Rahal representative.

Thanks for your time and help.