+ Reply to Thread

Default Begin using Rogaine (minox)?

Hi guys, I've been aware that my hair is slowly falling out and receding for some time now and have been taking Propecia for about 4-5 years. I'm 36 and would probably say I'm around the Norwood type 3 starting on the type 3 vertex. I believe the propecia may have slowed my hairloss but certainly hasn't stopped it.

I haven't used any other product and am now considering starting on the Rogain foam. I've read a number of posts regarding the product and some say it works while others say it made it worse. I certainly don't want to make it worse but I also understand that it works for some and not others.

I guess I'm wondering what you guys think I should do/try? Should I start using Rogaine, and possibly include Nizoral? My biggest concern is that it will make it worse - and I supose the only way to know is to try it?!

Quote Originally Posted by makaveli View Post
    Should I start using Rogaine, and possibly include Nizoral?
    I would if I were you. I recommend using Rogaine foam in the mornings because it is stealthy and then use generic liquid Minoxidil in the evenings to save money.

It is a good idea to use Nizoral once per week in place of your regular shampoo. Make sure you are also using a good quality moistruizing conditioner.

Quote Originally Posted by makaveli View Post
    I've read a number of posts regarding the product and some say it works while others say it made it worse. I certainly don't want to make it worse but I also understand that it works for some and not others.
    You kind of have to learn how to read between the lines and qualify the stories you read. Many who give Rogaine (or generic Minoxidil) a try do not understand what to expect. They freak out when the shedding starts and stop treatment. Stopping treatment because of shedding is usually the worse thing you can do. If a person does not ride out the shedding period, they can end up worse off then they were before treatment.

Shedding means the medicine is working. Shedding means the medicine is helping your damaged hair follicles return to normal. Shedding stops when those damaged hair fiollicles have returned to close to normal.

Thanks for the info Tracy. Will give the Rogaine a try.

Just curious - does rogaine grow hair on a bald patch?

If a bald patch is completely void of hair and has been that way for a long time, nothing will grow hair there. The only option that can fill patches like that is transplant surgery.