+ Reply to Thread

Default 17 Years old, losing hair.

Sup brahs, just wanted to post a few photos so you guys could tell me what stage I'm at.

So far there's not really any thinning on my crown but there is a little bit present. I have had a thick head of hair my whole life and I have also had a sorta M shape hairline even as a child.

I want to believe that I am not losing my hair but I know that's not the case, I feel extremely frustrated and at times angry that I am only 17 years old and have to deal with baldness while all my friends have great hairlines. I decided that I am going to purchase a brush (I heard brushing your hair stimulates hair follicles to grow) and hopefully visit a doctor within the next few weeks to see what I can do about keeping my hair.

Anyway, here are the photos I would gladly like to hear your opinion.

PIC 1: http://i44.tinypic.com/qpmn9s.jpg
    PIC 2: http://i40.tinypic.com/jpkfgy.jpg
    PIC 3: http://i42.tinypic.com/13z20wy.jpg

It doesn't help with the self esteem.

What I see in your photos is a normal mature male hair line.

Males generally do not get to keep their adolescent hair lines. In males, the hair line changes into the "M" pattern that you have now. This is one of the physical characteristics that differ between males and females. It is completely normal.

I also believe brushing helps improve your hair, though I don't think it stimulates growth. Make sure you get a natural bristle brush and be gentle with your scalp. Do not brush hard or harshly. It should feel pleasant and relaxing.

At your age, you do not want to start using medications (and I honestly feel you don't need them), but it probably wouldn't hurt to start using Nizoral A-D shampoo once per week in place of your regular shampoo. Also make sure you are using a good quality moisturizing conditioner almost daily.

Tracey C thank you so much for your reply.

To be honest the M shape is extremely significant, I have seen the normal "male mature hairline" and mine is a lot, lot worse then that of a normal male with a mature hairline my age and it shows in person.

At the moment I have the hairstyle where I swipe all the hair at the front to the (my) right side of the face and it kind of conceals the missing hair, but it still looks like I am missing hair up the sides of my temples and a few people have commented on it.

I would like to hope that this is just my maturing hairline and it wont get any worse and maybe even get a bit better, lets hope.

I also use Head & Shoulders shampoo once a week and Head & Shoulders conditioner once every two days following instructions from my stylist to receive the hairstyle I want, where would I go about purchasing this Nizoral A-D shampoo? Would it be located at any supermarket or a chemist?

Here are two more pictures that should show you the severity of the hairloss and to show its not just a maturing hairline.

PIC 1: http://i43.tinypic.com/9stmkg.jpg
    PIC 2: http://i39.tinypic.com/34o3uwl.jpg

If you view these images and still believe it is a maturing hairline it would put my mind at ease, but deep down I know I'm going bald and sadly its starting at age 17.

Males do not get to keep their temple hair. That's just the way it is. Yes in these photos it does look like your temple recession cuts in deeper but I still think you are too young to be worrying about it now. I know men who have deeper temple recession than you who have not receeded beyond their temple recession. Some males loose more temple hair than others. At most you look like maybe a NW3, but probably more like a NW2, both are treatable when you are old enough to start medications. You have time. Here is the chart:

If you are in the U.S., Nizoral A-D is available without a prescription at many stores. The 2% version of Nizoral reuquires a prescription in the U.S. - and I believe in the U.K. as well. I do not know if Nizoral A-D is available in the U.K.

Wow, thank you. This has put my mind at ease a lot.

Your saying that all my friends are going to lose their temple hair as well but I have just lost mine earlier then them? Some lose more hair then others?

For now I shouldn't worry about it, even though it looks terrible and I should just wait and see if it gets worse? Will it get worse?

Im situated in Australia, so I don't know if they have the same shampoo or if there is an equivalent. I will have a look around.

Quote Originally Posted by MrM View Post
    Your saying that all my friends are going to lose their temple hair as well but I have just lost mine earlier then them? Some lose more hair then others?
    Yes. It is very rare for a male to get to keep his temple hair. It just is what it is. It's one of those physical features that distinguishes males from females. You are changing from a boy to a man and you lost your temple hair early.

For now I shouldn't worry about it, even though it looks terrible and I should just wait and see if it gets worse? Will it get worse?
    You need to look to your male relatives on both sides of your family to answer that question. If hereditary hair loss is common in your family, talk to your doctor about Propecia (or generic Finaseride) after you are done with puberty. If you can afford to get a laser comb, that may slow the process down for you - as well as improve the rest of your hair. The only way to know is to try.

Im situated in Australia, so I don't know if they have the same shampoo or if there is an equivalent. I will have a look around.
    I am pretty sure Nizoral is available world wide. You may need to go to your pharmacy to get it though. Here in the U.S., the 1% version (Nizoral A-D) is available without a prescription but the 2% version of Nizoral requires a prescription. I do not know if the 1% Nizoral A-D is available in Australia. The active ingredient in Nizoral is Ketoconazole.

Thank you for the information. Both my parents are adopted and my mother and father do not know who their father was let alone what he looks like so it is difficult for me to predict. My father has his hair at age 42.

I have taken all your advice and will look into your suggestions, thank you.

EDIT: I am looking into Nizoral as I type this, the 1% is right for me or should I get the 2%?