+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    IAHRS Recommended Hair Transplant Surgeon Dr. Lindsey's Avatar

Default Dr. Lindsey 3922 up front McLean VA

This nice young man was in last week for “amap—as much as possible” which turned out to be 3922 grafts. He is an avid snowboarder and actually called me a few years ago when I was on the Snowbird tram to discuss surgery dates. It took a bit longer for him to commit, but he had an easy case and had very dense hair. Surprisingly he had very little swelling postop and other than needing to do a bit more cleaning, he looks fine.
    Normally I’d wait a bit to post this, but he said he’d like to put comments up so I’ll post this early and hopefully we’ll get pictures through next Christmas when he’s grown in.

Dr. Lindsey McLean VA
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	1r.jpg

Size:	37.2 KB
ID:	12826   Click image for larger version

Name:	1ar.jpg

Size:	38.6 KB
ID:	12827   Click image for larger version

Name:	1br.jpg

Size:	48.5 KB
ID:	12828   Click image for larger version

Name:	2r.jpg

Size:	55.5 KB
ID:	12829   Click image for larger version

Name:	3r.jpg

Size:	45.1 KB
ID:	12830   Click image for larger version

Name:	4r.jpg

Size:	34.7 KB
ID:	12831   Click image for larger version

Name:	5r.jpg

Size:	44.3 KB
ID:	12832   Click image for larger version

Name:	6r.jpg

Size:	33.6 KB
ID:	12833   Click image for larger version

Name:	7r.jpg

Size:	45.3 KB
ID:	12834   Click image for larger version

Name:	8ar.jpg

Size:	48.0 KB
ID:	12835  

Click image for larger version

Name:	11r.jpg

Size:	83.1 KB
ID:	12836   Click image for larger version

Name:	15r.jpg

Size:	45.4 KB
ID:	12837   Click image for larger version

Name:	16r.jpg

Size:	82.7 KB
ID:	12838  
    William Lindsey, MD
    Member, International Alliance of Hair Restoration Surgeons
    View my IAHRS Profile

Default Patient's Comments

I'm the patient in the above pictures, and thought I would share my thoughts on Dr. Lindsey, his staff and my general thoughts on HT. You should be able to distinguish my comments against Dr. Lindsey and HT in general.

Quick Summary:
    Although my procedure was only on 12/15/11, I can say that I highly reccomend Dr. Lindsey and his staff. Everything pretty much went as he stated and my recovery was pretty easy (hopefully I am still feeling this way a year from now, haha).

Detailed Summary:
    I guess I have the Norwood 5A hair loss pattern. I consulted with Bosley (Bethesda, MD) about 2.5 yrs ago and wasn't really impressed by their business model. I wasn't serious about HT at the time, so I pushed it off. I then found this site, among others, and quickly learned that I should stay away from Bosley. I live in the Washington DC Area - all the research I found pointed to Dr. Lindsey as the best.

General Thoughts, Positives and Negatives:
    - Dr. Lindsey and his staff are great. I'm a talker and we were joking around throughout my HT and I was even taking videos and pics during the HT.

- The way Dr. Lindsey described the HT, was exactly how it went. The process started around 8:00 am and I was out by about 5:30pm. It took alittle longer for me because I had lunch and he was able to do 3922 grafts! The toughest part, which isn't really tough is getting the novicane shots. You don't feel the strip extraction!

- Dr. Lindsey is direct and honest. Some people may not appreciate his "directness", but I liked it and am accustomed to it as I work in a very competitive corporate environment. During my procedure, he'll ask if he can bring potential patients back to show them what a procedure looks like. There was one guy, where Bosley indicated they could do 3000 grafts, but Dr. Lindsey basically told him that he couldn't help him because he didn't have strong donor hair, etc.

- There was some pain towards the end of the procedure in the recipient area, but as soon as I let Dr. Lindsey know, he gave me a shot of numbing medicine and the pain was gone within 5 mins.

- Recovery was a breeze. The toughest part was the drive home, as I had all the medications kind of working together and I was alittle nauseous, but that went away once I was home.

- You will experience some pain post HT, which comes mainly from the donor area. I found the Pain medicine he prescribed to completely knock out any pain. Sleeping wasn't bad either - my trick was to roll a small towel up and put it under my neck so the donor area wouldn't touch the pillow - this helped...ALOT!

- Pain was gone by the third day after my transplant. I probably wouldn't have had any pain if I took my pain medicine more regularly.

- After a few days you will notice alot of dry scalp. I followed Dr. Lindsey's post op procedures fairly closely and within 8-9 days after the procedure, there wasn't any dry scalp as I had removed most of the flakiness.

- I did lose two grafts. One I lost on the third day post HT (this was my fault) and surprisngly I lost one on the eight day post HT. Losing it on the 8th day was actually comforting, and this is why. When you lose a graft, you immediatly know you lost a graft, as you'll have a fair amount of blood pour out. This is comforting because from the day after my procedure until now, I have noticed hair on my hands after I rub my hands through my head or on my headband after a workout, but there is never any blood so this is shock loss or just the transplanted hairs naturally falling out. Since I had 3922 grafts planted, I wasn't very worried about a couple coming out :-)

- I would say that I didn't realize Dr. Lindsey wouldn't be able to go further back in my head. I knew he wasn't going to be able to do the crown area, but I thought he was going to be able to go a bit further back. You should set expectations for yourself. If you are like me, you're likely going to need two procedures for full coverage. When I followed up and looked at other doctors picture posts on this forum, I did see that most of them were only able to cover the front and not go into the crown area at all. I am considering a second HT, but am gonna go on Minoxidil, and Nizoral Shampoo for the next 6-8 months and see how that goes for my crown area.

- Two days ago I buzzed my hair down to a #2. Honestly, no one can notice I've had a transplant other than the donor scar area, which is actually healing up very nicely as I'm even surprised since I tend to scar very easily. I would say a #3 might have been better to cover the scar as it heals, but I honestly don't even mind that much.

- I began my normal workouts (kickboxing class - only hitting a bag and no sparring, high intensity weight lifting and cardio) about 9-10 days post HT. I hope to go snowboarding pretty soon...

If you're on the fence about getting a hair transplant and have the money, I would say go for it. My only regret is that I didn't do this a year ago when I first met with Dr. Lindsey. At the time I was mainly concerned with how I would look immediately after and the weeks after, but so far so good. I went on a date this past weekend if that tells you anything. And don't forget, like Dr. Lindsey says, "Hair is like Sex and Money, you needs lots of it!"

Great post. I'll look forward to your scar check and pics tomorrow.

Dr. L
    William Lindsey, MD
    View my IAHRS Profile

Nish,

I met with Dr. Lindsey a few weeks ago and am considering the procedure. I'd say I'm a NW5A as well but have less hair in the "thinning" areas. Though the pattern is similar, I am almost smooth headed in the affected area. Dr. Lindsey was pretty frank with me about what he could do and was clear that my crown area wouldn't be touched. It actually set me back a bit and is the primary reason why I'm still debating this.

You mention doing a second procedure to fill in the crown and am wondering if you talked with Dr. Lindsey about this. When I asked him, he said I was free to do what I wanted but that I would be taking a risk. This risk was that if my NW5A progressed and the sides of my normal hairline continued to recede down, there wouldn't be enough donor hair left to do anything about it in the future. Would you be willing to take that risk?

-Mike

Mike,

When I met with Dr. Lindsey, he didn't think I would lost too much on the sides (or rather he didn't think it would recede) because I have pretty dense hair. With that said, even if he didn't say that, I think I still would have gone with the surgery.

I'm a pretty confident individual, but definately lost some confidence with the hair loss and I didn't like that feeling so I decided to do something about it. I know I may need some crown work in the future, but I'm using the Nizoral shampoo and doing Rogaine. When I first was using Rogaine (for the crown area), it helped, but I stopped using it. I don't plan on getting on Propecia, but am open to having the crown worked on by Dr. Lindsey. I'll probably make the second procedure decision around christmas time, which is about a year from when I had my original procedure.

Hope this helps in your decision.

Nish

Thanks for posting Nish. I'll post your 3 month update pics either tomorrow or next Tuesday. See you in June.

Dr. L
    William Lindsey, MD
    View my IAHRS Profile

Here are your pics from a week or 2 ago, so about 4 months out. There might be a little growth up front....but its early and I'm probably imagining things. Wait til summer and really look forward to December. See you in June.

Thanks for posting.

Dr. Lindsey
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	42r.jpg

Size:	82.5 KB
ID:	14561   Click image for larger version

Name:	40r1.jpg

Size:	68.9 KB
ID:	14562   Click image for larger version

Name:	41r.jpg

Size:	73.4 KB
ID:	14563  
    William Lindsey, MD
    View my IAHRS Profile

Hi Dr. Lindsey,

Nice case. The scar looks incredible at 1 month post-op. I also have brown coloured skin like your patient and am a little worried about the strip scar. I was just wondering, what is your opinion on strip scars with brown/black skin patients ? Keloid scarring, pigmentation, genreal healing, etc ?

Assuming a good strip scar is achieved with a brown/black skin patient, is the results similar/as good as a white skin patient ? I've not had a strip yet, but i'm assuming the strip scar hyperpigments in brown skin patients, which might be an advantage in terms of colour contract with the dark hair ?

Thanks.

Folly - Dr. Lindsey can answer you with his medical opinion, but perhaps I can provide some input too.

I'll usually get the top of my head cut short and then keep it a little longer in the back. I've had my hair cut a few different ways at the back if I go with # 2 clipper setting or below, then the sepration line is visible. I'll cut it down to a #3 length at the back, which doesn't show the scar or seperation line.

The scar is almost flush with my skin and is pretty light at this point.

What doesn't come out in the pictures are the tiny hairs "sprouting" in the recipient region. I hadn't seen this at 2 or 3 months, but but it's pretty apparent now too.

He does look good. And thanks for contributing Nish.

But you may remember I said I'd grade your scar as a "B" at present. Not an A and certainly not a C. Plus its likely to get a little better over the next few months too.

I tell everyone that if you are darker than me...and I'm a pretty tan-able white guy, that I would like to check your scar at a month. Maybe 30% of people show up. Of that 30% maybe 10% need a shot of cortisone to help the scar. Now of the 70% who don't show...is it because they live far away (they can email pics), is it because they are having no problems?, or do they just forget? Hard to know. But I do worry more with dark skin than light.

Thanks

Dr. Lindsey
    William Lindsey, MD
    View my IAHRS Profile