+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Help

Unhappy Help

Ok.. Im 34 years old and My hair is noticeably starting to recede, at least to me. Ive always had a natural widows peak to begin with. Here is my problem. Nizoral 1% or 2% dry my scalp out way too much, even if used 1x per week. My next problem is Propecia. I used Propecia for about 1 year. It caused horrible side effects for me, los of libido, mild gyno, teste atrophy, loss of "strong erections, and semen was watery like when you are 11 years old, lol.
    I've been off Propecia for almost 11 months. It took about 6 months before my sex drive, strong erection and testicle atrophy to go away. My hair loss is about a NW2, to maybe a NW2A. Im horrified to try Rogaine. The shed phase really does hinder some people and actually cause more accelerated hair loss.

Spex, Tracy C? somebody please help. I have no clue what to do

Ive also been using Nioxin shampoo for over 15 years. I realize it does not remove DHT, i just really like the shampoo.

Im def considering a FUE with Dr Shapiro, of the Shapiro Medical Group. In my opinion best results that I have seen. It was between the following DRS.

DR. True, or Dr. Dorin
    Dr. Epstein
    DR. Ron Shapiro

I estimate I need around 1100 and 1300 FUE grafts to be content. How do I keep my remaining hair? There is no point in getting a surgery if you are def gonna have further loss, and meds aren't working for you.
    I even cut my Propecia down to .5 mg ed.
    I'm sorry but Propecia scares me, and I will not jump on the bandwagon again.

Any experienced info would be much appreciated

Quote Originally Posted by stylus187 View Post
    Spex, Tracy C? somebody please help. I have no clue what to do.
    In this post, you stated that you cannot or are unwilling to use the two main proven treatments that can help you. If that truly is the case, you need to come to terms with losing your hair. I don't want to be insensitive, but reality stinks. You need to re-evaluate your expectations.

Aye, Tracy is right.

Stylus is right as well, however. The two main treatments are shite.

Quote Originally Posted by clandestine View Post
    The two main treatments are stuff.
    Not if they work for you... They do help a lot of people. Unfortunately they can't help everyone. They certainly are not as great as we would like them to be, but they are better than nothing at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Tracy C View Post
    Not if they work for you... They do help a lot of people. Unfortunately they can't help everyone. They certainly are not as great as we would like them to be, but they are better than nothing at all.
    Tracy C, Ive been very willing to try a lot of different approaches for hair loss. Unfortunately Propecia and me did not agree. Nizoral and my sensitive skin did not agree. I take daily saw palmetto, Multi meg vitamin, no alcohol, drugs, or cigs. I use biotin, vit, e aloe and vit d. I swear my hair was fine before I ever touched propecia. In all fairness, my hair is still in pretty good shape, no bald spots, just slightly receding and I can start to see a little miniaturization around existing hair follicles. So basically, Ive tried almost everything besides the laser comb, which is def a scam, and Rogaine. I actually had a guy say to me... " Bro, I would rather a girl approach me at the bar because I have hair, even if propecia causes me to have 0 erections". Whats the point of bringing a girl home, or your wife if you cant properly handle your "adult" affairs. I could not believe the logic of this guy"

Our society has made people so self conscious of their appearance, they are willing to risk permanent loss of libido.
    People lets be real here, Peopecia takes away the very one chemical that distinguishes you from an adult male, basically back to a state of pre-adolesence. DHT is our main male characteristic! Is keeping or hopes of new hair worth the risk of permanent side effects. I understand the role of DHT and testosterone, estrogen. I work for one of the largest peptide companies in N. America. I have an understanding of chemistry. I wish I could apply it to hair loss..
    Ive been researching if elevated levels of IGF can cause hair loss, or help hair regrowth. Its a controversial subject of low daily doses of HGH causing hair growth, or hair loss.

Can any DRS. on this board answer that last question in certainty?
    Thank You for the replies

Ive been very willing to try a lot of different approaches for hair loss.
    Ummm, there are not a lot of approaches to try. There are only a few things that are proven to treat hair loss. Reality can be a bummer sometimes.

I do wish you the best - but if you are not using proven treatments that are approved or cleared by the FDA to treat hair loss, you are waisting both your time and money.

Ummm, there are not a lot of approaches to try. There are only a few things that are proven to treat hair loss. Reality can be a bummer sometimes.

I do wish you the best - but if you are not using proven treatments that are approved or cleared by the FDA to treat hair loss, you are waisting both your time and money.
    Tracy C... are there a few other FDA approved methods not mentioned here, in our thread, if so, please list them for me. I totally agree reality is a bummer in regards to this. The key is.. how well does one, handle the situation? Im curious do you believe that the laser comb is going to help keep your hair? Its FDA approved, but in your heart, do you truly believe its going to really impact hair growth. Your answer will help determine further advise.
    Much respect to you sir, and Best wishes to your follicles. Its crazy I was warned once you join a site for hair loss, you def become more OCD about it.

God, why do you play this cruel joke upon us men, and women who are suffering from follicles committing suicide, and jumping off the rooftop? Follicles dont do it.. you have so much to live for!!

Sometimes we need humor, even if its kind of cheesy!!! laughter makes life easier..

Im curious do you believe that the laser comb is going to help keep your hair? Its FDA approved, but in your heart, do you truly believe its going to really impact hair growth.
    I have been using the laser comb for over four years. The first six months of treating my hair loss, I used only the laser comb. I saw improvement and everyone around me saw improvement. From there I added Minoxidil and then six months after that started taking an anti-androgen. Do I believe in my heart that the laser comb is helping and playing a part in my regimen? Absolutely. Those first six months when I was using the laser comb alone showed me that it was doing something appreciable on its own.

Here is some humor for you. I don't like being called sir. I prefer ma'am.

Smile

I have been using the laser comb for over four years. The first six months of treating my hair loss, I used only the laser comb. I saw improvement and everyone around me saw improvement. From there I added Minoxidil and then six months after that started taking an anti-androgen. Do I believe in my heart that the laser comb is helping and playing a part in my regimen? Absolutely. Those first six months when I was using the laser comb alone showed me that it was doing something appreciable on its own.

Here is some humor for you. I don't like being called sir. I prefer ma'am.
    Thank You kindly, Mam!! The laser comb really worked for you. Heck for a few hundread I might give it a shot. Your response def seems sincere, and heartfelt. Thank You. One more question Tracy, Is there a specific brand or site that you advise. I might try 2% rogaine and give it a whirl. I just read so any horror stories about rogaine really hindering people. I wonder if women respond differently to Rogaine. Anyways, thanks for taking the the time to get back to me. Tracy, may I ask you what anti-androgen you are using? and the laser comb brand!!! Im here if you ever need advise on vitamins....

I just read so any horror stories about rogaine really hindering people.
    The possible side effects of 5% Minoxidil are very mild and well tolerated. Most who use Minoxidil do not experience those possible side effects. The chances of experiencing side effects does increase with higher doses of Minoxidil such as the 10% and 15% formulations available on the internet

You kind of have to learn to read between the lines and qualify the stories you read. Many who give Rogaine (or generic Minoxidil) a try do not understand what to expect. They freak out when the shedding starts and stop treatment. Stopping treatment because of shedding is usually the worse thing you can do. If a person does not ride out the shedding period, they can end up worse off then they were before treatment.

I wonder if women respond differently to Rogaine.
    Women do not have as much androgens to fight against. So it does make sense that women would respond a little differently. However, most women are unequipped to deal with the shedding associated with any hair loss treatment. This fear prevents many women from sticking with treatment long enough to gain any benefit from it - or starting treatment at all.

Tracy, may I ask you what anti-androgen you are using? and the laser comb brand...
    Males should not be taking the anti-androgen I take. The only home use laser device that has been cleared by the FDA to treat androgenetic alopecia is the Hairmax laser comb from Lexington International. All three of their models are cleared to treat androgenetic alopecia in males but only the 9-laser model is cleared to treat androgenetic alopecia in females.