+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Looking for some advice on Propecia RE: The cost of it

I've been following this forum and the cutting edge treatment forum for a few months and decided to sign up.

I've been constantly worried about my hair for my entire life. To give you guys a brief background, I was born with a birth mark on the top of my freakin' head. Imagine that. Not only was I cursed with a receding hairline, I had a small bald spot on the top of my head as a kid that eventually grew as I grew.

I took care of that and I'll eventually tell you how but I don't want it to seem like I'm pimping another product. And it's not the right forum to mention it.

But I have gotten back on Propecia for the past 12 months (maybe longer, lost track). I used to be on it in my younger 20's. I'm 29 now and I'm getting married in 2012. I desperately want to keep my hair as long as I can - especially for wedding photos. How vain, right? Oh well, I've always cared about keeping my hair.

The reality is I'm starting to fear that my receding hairline is getting worse. Some days I have good days and some days it feels like I'm really losing it. I can honestly say Propecia has helped me because I went through the shedding process and experienced some regrowth and I do believe it's the best preventative drug out there.

But the problem is it costs me 80 bucks a month! I have a solid health insurance company but it doesn't cover it because it's a cosmetic drug. I don't make enough money to justify the amount I spend on my hair a year. But I can't get off Propecia. If I do, I have a feeling I'll lose even more hair.

I saw a site called Perfect Generics (.org) that sells a generic version of Propecia for a really good price but I don't trust it. I've heard of awful stories involving many fake sites producing fake pills and I can't go that route. My guess is this site is also a phony because I havent heard of a generic version of Propecia.

I've heard of another drug around here called "Proscar" or something similar to that. It's 5mg compared to Propecia's 1mg but it is essentially the same thing but for enlarged prostate glands. Is this a cheaper option? I would theoretically have to chop an individual pill into 5 pieces (is this even possible?) to make it work, right? Is it really the same thing as Propecia?

Sorry if some of these questions seem silly, ridiculous, or really basic. I'm just looking for a way to cut down on money spent on my hair. 80 bucks a month for Propecia is just adding up big time and I need to come up with a solution (if one is out there).

Thanks for your help and time.

Quote Originally Posted by PacWantsHair View Post
    But the problem is it (Propecia) costs me 80 bucks a month!

I've heard of another drug around here called "Proscar" or something similar to that. It's 5mg compared to Propecia's 1mg but it is essentially the same thing but for enlarged prostate glands. Is this a cheaper option?
    Propecia and Proscar are the exact same drug (Finasteride), just different doses. Many men get generic 5mg Finasteride and cut the pills into four pieces to make their daily dose. This is significantly less expensive than Propecia.

Have you considered adding Rogaine foam (or generic Minoxidil) to your hair loss treatment? Propecia (or generic Finasteride) treats the cause of hair loss but it is not a hair growth stimulant. Rogaine (or generic Minoxidil) is a hair growth stimulant but it does not treat the cause of hair loss. Many men use both Propecia and Rogaine to treat the cause and try to stimulate hair to grow back.

If your hair loss is diffuse and you do not have bald patches that have been void of hair for a long time, consider giving the laser comb a try. The laser comb is expensive and it doesn't work for everyone but it improved my hair so I feel it is worth a try.

Quote Originally Posted by Tracy C View Post
    Have you considered adding Rogaine foam (or generic Minoxidil) to your hair loss treatment? Propecia (or generic Finasteride) treats the cause of hair loss but it is not a hair growth stimulant. Rogaine (or generic Minoxidil) is a hair growth stimulant but it does not treat the cause of hair loss. Many men use both Propecia and Rogaine to treat the cause and try to stimulate hair to grow back.

If your hair loss is diffuse and you do not have bald patches that have been void of hair for a long time, consider giving the laser comb a try. The laser comb is expensive and it doesn't work for everyone but it improved my hair so I feel it is worth a try.

Thanks for the reply, Tracy.

I never considered using Rogaine because I thought it mostly treated the back of your head. Does it help regrow any of the front? If there's any potential for regrowth in the front, I'll definitely give it a shot.

As far as the laser comb, I just started to read about it and I'm seeing a lot of commercials for it. I might even be an ideal candidate for it but I'm trying to figure out if anyone has had any success stories with it. When you say expensive, how costly is it?

Wait, laser combs can work for diffuse hair loss? Seriously? Is that worth an attempt?

Which models of specifications should I look for?

I never considered using Rogaine because I thought it mostly treated the back of your head. Does it help regrow any of the front?
    Rogaine (or generic Minoxidil) can work anywhere that is not completely void of hair. Here are some links for you:

http://www.bernsteinmedical.com/medi...ine-minoxidil/

http://www.bernsteinmedical.com/medi...-on-minoxidil/

As far as the laser comb, I just started to read about it and I'm seeing a lot of commercials for it.
    I've never seen a commercial for it - but then again, I don't watch much TV.

Here is a link for you:

http://www.bernsteinmedical.com/medi...ax-laser-comb/

When I bought my laser comb four years ago there was only one model and it was $545.00 (US). They have more than one model now, including a less expensive 7-laser version that is $295.00 (US).

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby_ View Post
    Wait, laser combs can work for diffuse hair loss? Seriously?
    The laser comb makes individual hairs increase in diameter. This effect is exactly what a person with diffuse thinning needs.

The laser comb makes individual hairs increase in diameter. This effect is exactly what a person with diffuse thinning needs.

Ah, I see, thanks. So it's advisable as part of a good plan of action?

It is part of my regimen - and has been for over four years. I wouldn't keep using it if it wasn't doing anything for me. Low level laser therapy doesn't work for everyone though - but I do feel that as long as you don't have bald patches that have been void of hair for a long time, it is worth a try.

It is part of my regimen - and has been for over four years. I wouldn't keep using it if it wasn't doing anything for me. Low level laser therapy doesn't work for everyone though - but I do feel that as long as you don't have bald patches that have been void of hair for a long time, it is worth a try.
    Cool.

Is this worth a try? I mention it because of its cheaper price than the alternatives.
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/HDC-LCL2-Las...5536349&sr=8-1

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby_ View Post
    Is this worth a try?
    I would not bother with anything that has not been through the FDA process. The only home use laser device that is cleared by the FDA for the treatment of hereditary hair loss is the Hairmax laser comb by Lexington International.