+ Reply to Thread

Default Nizoral Shampoo question.

I have started to take the generic Nizoral shampoo (ketoconazole) due to the difference in price. I've been reading that I shouldn't be using Nizoral everyday.

My questions are:

1. How many times a week should I be using the shampoo?

2. What's an alternative shampoo that BTT recommends on the days I'm not using Nizoral, since I like to wash my hair daily, besides the weekends.

I'm going to start my regiment of Propecia + Nizoral + Rogaine starting today. Going to take some preliminary pictures and see how things progress.

Quote Originally Posted by JJacobs152 View Post
    1. How many times a week should I be using the shampoo?
    If you are using 2%, you should not use it more than once per week unless a doctor has specifically told you to use it more often than that. If you are using 1% you can use it up to twice per week but not more often than that unless a doctor has specifically told you to do so.

2. What's an alternative shampoo that BTT recommends on the days I'm not using Nizoral...
    Whatever shampoo you like is fine. Just make sure it is good quality shampoo that is gentle enough to use every day. Also make sure to use a good quality moisturizing conditioner.

I'm going to start my regiment of Propecia + Nizoral + Rogaine starting today. Going to take some preliminary pictures and see how things progress.
    Taking pictures every two or three months is a very good idea. Keep them as consistant as possible.

BTW, where are you on this chart and how long have you been there?

2. What's an alternative shampoo that BTT recommends on the days I'm not using Nizoral, since I like to wash my hair daily, besides the weekends.
    I was asking the exact same question as you and was slightly surprised to find quite a few recommendations for Head & Shoulders Hair Endurance.
    The important bit here is that it contains Pyrithione Zinc - it will not grow hair back like a keto shampoo but it will leave your scalp in great condition and is my current choice.
    http://www.amazon.com/Head-Shoulders.../dp/B002UD5IY8

Quote Originally Posted by Tracy C View Post
    If you are using 2%, you should not use it more than once per week unless a doctor has specifically told you to use it more often than that. If you are using 1% you can use it up to twice per week but not more often than that unless a doctor has specifically told you to do so.
    Whatever shampoo you like is fine. Just make sure it is good quality shampoo that is gentle enough to use every day. Also make sure to use a good quality moisturizing conditioner.
    Taking pictures every two or three months is a very good idea. Keep them as consistant as possible.
    BTW, where are you on this chart and how long have you been there?

I would say I am a 3A and I've probably been in this stage for almost 5-6 years, however now I've started to notice that my hair on my scalp is starting to lose thickness in a diffuse fashion.

I'm going to finish grad school in August, and am considering going under the knife by time December is here. I figured keeping this regiment up for a whole year to slow down the progression should be a good proactive measure.

Quote Originally Posted by Zoidberg View Post
    I was asking the exact same question as you and was slightly surprised to find quite a few recommendations for Head & Shoulders Hair Endurance.
    The important bit here is that it contains Pyrithione Zinc - it will not grow hair back like a keto shampoo but it will leave your scalp in great condition and is my current choice.
    http://www.amazon.com/Head-Shoulders.../dp/B002UD5IY8
    Interesting. I wonder if there is any other shampoo that I could use instead of HS. I didn't have that great of an experience with HS.

I figure that using Nizoral, that will help with hair regrowth and kill the fungus which is causing the dandruff. Maybe I could use J&J baby shampoo.

Also, how many of us, hair-losers, shampoo their hair everyday? I usually do it Mon - Friday while I'm at school. I'm going to stop washing it Saturday and Sunday, since I'll try to study at home and won't have to worry about my hair being greasy/oil/flaky while sitting in the library or study room.

I would say I am a 3A and I've probably been in this stage for almost 5-6 years...
    Then you are actually in pretty good shape. If you start treating it now, in a year or two I think you will be happier with the way you look.

...however now I've started to notice that my hair on my scalp is starting to lose thickness in a diffuse fashion.
    Then you need to consider taking medicine to treat the cause of your hair loss. Since you have diffuse thinning, I also think you could benefit from using a laser comb.

...am considering going under the knife by time December is here. I figured keeping this regiment up for a whole year to slow down the progression should be a good proactive measure.
    That is correct. I would recommend treating it for at least two years though. The reason is because it generally takes at least one year to find out if you can arrest your hair loss. Then it takes a bit longer to find out if you will be able to recover anything on medications alone.

I figure that using Nizoral, that will help with hair regrowth and kill the fungus which is causing the dandruff. Maybe I could use J&J baby shampoo.
    My doctor recommended J&J baby shampoo - but I don't really like it very much. I like Aveeno Nourish+ shampoos and conditioners. I did use J&J baby shampoo after my surgery though - but only because my doctor told me to.

Also, how many of us, hair-losers, shampoo their hair everyday?
    Since I exercise almost every day and I use a concealer, I shampoo and condition almost every day. The only days that I don't shampoo are those few days that I don't exercise or sprinkle any concealer into my hair.

2% Nizoral shouldn't be used everyday, it's strong and would most likely cause the hair/scalp to dry. 1% is good for once to up to thrice a week use.

When I'm not using Nizoral, I opt for a baby shampoo or T-gel.