+ Reply to Thread

Default Hey, guys, first time poster, and just wondering if you can help me.

I'm 24 years old, pretty sure I've been balding since I was about 20-21, but since my hair's usually been pretty long, I'm wondering- how bad am I balding? I'm pretty sure it's getting more and more noticeable, too, but my friends and parents say I'm being paranoid. Is it worth even bothering with Propecia anymore? What are my options? (My hair's tied back, if it isn't obvious. lol.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0200.jpg

Size:	32.5 KB
ID:	12802  

Thumbs up

Hi

First off, pulling your hair back into a pony tail won't do your hair any good my friend as you are constantly putting tension on it. Also, any recession is emphasised greatly with this style and to be honest is generally something to avoid. The angle you have taken most likely makes is look worse than it is but I would almost cetainly say that you are thinning in the front. Propecia is worth looking into, even for frontal loss but the goal should be retention, not regrowth (that should be viewed as a bonus!). You still seem to have plenty of hair left so if you take action now, then you may well stabilise the situation. Consult an IAHRS doctor and the best of luck!

Cheers! I've been on the Propecia for about 4 months now, and my hair still seems to be shedding, which worries me a little. Do I have to take them on a strict schedule, or does it really matter? Some days I wake up at 10am, others I wake up at 7 am, etc.

Thumbs up

Hi

I think the most important thing is that you remember to take it every day. I take it when I get in from work personally. A minor daily variance in time should not cause a problem!

Quote Originally Posted by Blade View Post
    I'm wondering- how bad am I balding?
    It's actually pretty bad. Pulling your hair back like that will make it worse both literally and cosmetically.

Is it worth even bothering with Propecia anymore?
    You need to talk this over with your doctor.

The picture you have provided does not give us a clear picture of what is going on up there. If it is as bad all the way back to your crown as it is in your hairline, you have a challenge in front of you as far as recovery goes. But it is probably not impossible.

What are my options?
    First and foremost, stop pulling your hair back tight. This can induce traction alopecia. If you are already genetically predispositioned for androgenetic alopecia (hereditary male patterned baldness), you are compounding the problem by pulling it back tight. Give your hair a break.

The only products proven effective to treat hereditary male patterned hair loss are:

Propecia - or generic Finasteride

Rogaine - or generic Minoxidil

Low level laser therapy.

You need a prescription for Propecia or generic Finasteride, so talk to your doctor about it. Many men get a script for 5mg generic Finasteride and split the pill into four pieces to make their daily dose. This saves a lot of money compared to the cost of Propecia.

http://www.bernsteinmedical.com/medi...a-finasteride/

http://www.bernsteinmedical.com/medi...s-on-propecia/

http://www.bernsteinmedical.com/medi...rmation-sheet/

Rogaine and generic Minoxidil are available without a prescription. I recommend using Rogaine foam in the morning because it is stealthy and generic liquid Minoxidil in the evening to save money.

http://www.bernsteinmedical.com/medi...ine-minoxidil/

http://www.bernsteinmedical.com/medi...-on-minoxidil/

Many people, including me, use Nizoral A-D shampoo or Nizoral 2% shampoo as an adjunct treatment to our regimen. Nizoral A-D is the 1% formula and it is available in the U.S. without a precription. You need a presciption for Nizoral 2% in the U.S.. If you choose Nizoral A-D, make sure to only use it once or twice per week in place of your regular shampoo and no more often than that. If you choose to use Nizoral 2%, make sure to only use that once per week in place of your regular shampoo unless your doctor has specifically told you to use it more often than that. Also make sure you are using a good quality moisturizing conditioner almost daily.

Low level laser therapy helps some people but it does not work for everyone. If your hairloss truly is as recent as you said it is, you could possibly benefit from using a laser comb. I have been using my laser comb for over four years as part of my regimen and it has helped improve my hair. So I have no problem recommending it to almost everyone - unless they have long term hair loss that has resulted in patches that are completely bald.

http://www.bernsteinmedical.com/medi...laser-therapy/

http://www.bernsteinmedical.com/medi...ax-laser-comb/

Lastly, be kind to your hair and treat it right. If you do not know how to properly take care of your hair, just ask almost any women you know. Dr. Oz also has some great information on how to properly care for your hair.

I've been on the Propecia for about 4 months now, and my hair still seems to be shedding, which worries me a little.
    It takes at least 12 full months before you will know if Propecia is going to arrest your hair loss.

Cheers for the advice, guys.