+ Reply to Thread

Question Looking for something to try

This is my first entry. I have male pattern baldness setting in. It has gotten worse over the past few months. I notice ads for laser hair loss therapy (igrow) and all natural vitamins promoting guaranteed hair loss. I understand that the FDA cleared the use of propecia/finastride but the side effects are scary. Does anyone know anything about the igrow? Vitamins? Any good diets? Thank you so much for any response.

There is no credible evidence that special diets and/or suppliments can do anything to help treat hair loss. It is best to just make sure your diet is a healthy diet and get your vitamins from the foods that you eat.

The only home use laser device that is cleared by the FDA for the treatment of hair loss is the Hairmax laser comb. Low level laser therapy does not work for everyone though. I have been using the laser comb for over four years. It has helped improve my hair, it might do so for you as well. The only way to know is to try it.

The possible side effects of Rogaine (Minoxidil) are generally mild, well tolerated and most who use it do not experience them.

Talk to your doctor about the possible side effects of Propecia (1mg Finasteride). I know many men who take either Propecia or generic Finasteride and do not experience any of the possible side effects.

Some, myself included , do and did expericene the side effects they said would occurr
    I guess I was one of those 2 % that would experience side effects
    I got off it because I didn't want to take it for the rest of my life and at the same time never be able to get " it " up again

IAHRS Recommended Hair Transplant Surgeon Dr. Glenn Charles's Avatar

The iGrow is a combination of Laser and LED. I have a lot of patients who use it and feel they are getting some improvement, especially in the quality of hair which can give the appearence of fuller hair. I also ahve may patients who use the Hairmax laser comb and think that it has helped them. On the other side is patients who buy these devises and do not see any improvement, but there hairloss is not getting anay worse which is still a benefit. There are never any garantees whith the lasers but they may be worth the try. The iGrow is much easier to use according to my patients who have used both devices.
    Dr. Glenn Charles
    Member, International Alliance of Hair Restoration Surgeons
    View my IAHRS Profile

I've been considering using the Igrow laser for a while now but I wasn't sure if it was some kind of scam or not. And I do think it looks much easier to use than the Lasercomb, and I've actually seen some reviews where people on the Lasercomb initially lost hair (similar to the minoxidil shed).

To me it seems ridiculous that such a large number of members (who frequent baldtruth, as well as other forums pertaining to hair loss) claim to experience significant side effects resulting from propecia usage.

With a growing number of studies catering to both long and short term usage of the drug, which aim to make clear that sides resulting from finasteride indeed pertain to a minimal minority, how could a guy go wrong?

The multitude of forum goers who claim to have experienced sides from propecia must be misguided. What other explanation is there?

/sarcasm

Quote Originally Posted by DepressedByHairLoss View Post
    ...I've actually seen some reviews where people on the Lasercomb initially lost hair (similar to the minoxidil shed).
    Shedding is associated with every treatment for hair loss that actually works. Shedding is associated with Finasteride, Spironolactone, Minoxidil and low level laser therapy. Shedding is part of the process of repairing those shrunken hair follicles. Shedding means the treatment is working. As those shrunken follicles are re-enlarging, the hair grows back a little thicker with each cycle.