+ Reply to Thread

Default 17 and about to go on procepia and rogaine

Since I was 15, my hair's been falling out, every morning when I wash my hair in the sink I lose what doctors usually say is the normal amount to lose per day... this happens about 3 - 4 times a day. My hairline is pulling back and hair stylists are saying that I'm losing my thickness and I should get it checked out, so I did!

Well, I went to a dermatologist today, and he said that I might have a thyroid issue, or an iron deficiency, or a hereditary issue, and some other really complex thing that I'll have to talk to him again... long story short, I got blood drawn, they're gonna send it to the lab for testing, and he suggested I go on either procepia or rogaine, and said that sometimes its best to go on both. He also said that it's great that I caught it this early instead of coming in and saying "Oh by the way, I'm bald" when I'm 20.

Also, he said I definitely have Androgenetic Alopecia, male pattern baldness :/

Sorry to hear man, stay strong.

I urge you to research propecia and minoxidil (rogaine) extensively before committing to using either of them. Make informed decisions, both these treatments have been shown to cause side effects.

You might be a little young for propecia, imo. Whatever you decide, research first please (especially in the case of propecia). There is a lot of great info on these boards and elsewhere.

Good luck to you!

Quote Originally Posted by clandestine View Post
    Sorry to hear man, stay strong.

I urge you to research propecia and minoxidil (rogaine) extensively before committing to using either of them. Make informed decisions, both these treatments have been shown to cause side effects.

You might be a little young for propecia, imo. Whatever you decide, research first please (especially in the case of propecia). There is a lot of great info on these boards and elsewhere.

Good luck to you!
    Thank you clandestine! I've lurked here for a while reading up on all the things about propecia and rogain, honestly, rogain seems to be the lesser of the two evils. All the sides for propecia are very hardcore, so I'll be sure to keep an eye out for any abnormal pains or strange feelings or any of that if I do commit to propecia. My doctor seemed very comfortable with propecia, but I'll still be wary.

Indeed. While side effects are often considered unlikely, many men experience significant side effects regarding their sexual health. Google 'post-finasteride-syndrome'

Quote Originally Posted by clandestine View Post
    Indeed. While side effects are often considered unlikely, many men experience significant side effects regarding their sexual health. Google 'post-finasteride-syndrome'
    I wanted to give the propecia a test run for a week or so, so I took it yesterday... I felt the side effects a few hours later, they're a little personal since they relate to sexual health, but I indeed had the side effects. I will be going on rogaine instead starting tonight.

I myself find it hard to believe that the side effects hit within the first time of taking it, since that rarely happens with any medication, I thought it would be a week before anything happened, but it happened within hours, they're still going on in fact.

Might be in your head mate, don't worry about it. Unlikely sides could develop, be noticed so soon after first usage.

Quote Originally Posted by LionHeartLow View Post
    I myself find it hard to believe that the side effects hit within the first time of taking it, since that rarely happens with any medication, I thought it would be a week before anything happened, but it happened within hours, they're still going on in fact.
    I took it for a while and the sides occurred withing a day
    I gave up after several months
    Found it too frustrating and didn't like what it was doing below the waist

My doctor seemed very comfortable with propecia, but I'll still be wary.
    I am not a doctor but I think 17 is likely too young to try Propecia. You should wait until you know you are done with puberty before considering that medication.

I felt the side effects a few hours later...
    I myself find it hard to believe that the side effects hit within the first time of taking it...
    You were expecting side effects - so you got what you were expecting. Now you are worried that they may not go away - so you are getting what you are worrying about. Do you see what is happening?

I honestly think you are too young to try this medication. You may think you are done with puberty now, but you are probably not.

The human body is very resilient, especially for you young people. Once you recover - and I have no doubt that you will recover, wait till you are done with puberty before trying it.