+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Hybrid View

I am in my early 30's and at least half of my friends are already bald or noticeably thinning and none of them seem to be obsessed about it. A lot of them even joke about it. Most of them are with great women, have good jobs, etc. I certainly don't think any of them are depressed about it. These hair loss forums tend to attract people who are overly obsessed with this problem but the people here are not representative of the overall population, in which 75% of all men will be affected by hair loss and yet most continue to live normal lives.

Is anybody ever completely satisfied and happy about anything in our lives, especially our bodies? If it isn't your hair, it is bound to be something else. I guess the best to hope for is to come to some kind of reconciliation with hair loss and try to improve the quality of your life in other ways. Easier said than done, I know, but within the real of possibility.

I am at the stage where I still have a decent amount of hair and taking medication and possibly a small HT are still excellent options. The fight isn't over for those like myself and I am not yet ready to admit defeat. Only when all seems lost will I feel compelled to accept my hair is gone. When that time comes I don't think it will be as difficult as one might expect.

As a caveat to the above, I don't think it would be as easy for me to accept my hair loss if I were younger (I'm 35) and wasn't in a loving long term relationship. I didn't even experience noticeable hair loss until a few years ago. I can't even imagine what it would be like to be young, single and suffering hair loss. My heart goes out to those who are.

Quote Originally Posted by MackJames View Post
    Is anybody ever completely satisfied and happy about anything in our lives, especially our bodies? If it isn't your hair, it is bound to be something else. I guess the best to hope for is to come to some kind of reconciliation with hair loss and try to improve the quality of your life in other ways. Easier said than done, I know, but within the real of possibility.

I am at the stage where I still have a decent amount of hair and taking medication and possibly a small HT are still excellent options. The fight isn't over for those like myself and I am not yet ready to admit defeat. Only when all seems lost will I feel compelled to accept my hair is gone. When that time comes I don't think it will be as difficult as one might expect.

As a caveat to the above, I don't think it would be as easy for me to accept my hair loss if I were younger (I'm 35) and wasn't in a loving long term relationship. I didn't even experience noticeable hair loss until a few years ago. I can't even imagine what it would be like to be young, single and suffering hair loss. My heart goes out to those who are.
    Mack, it's cool that you're in a long term relationship, and if I was, I think hair loss would be easier to deal with for me. I'm about your age (33) and I've been dealing with noticeable hair loss for about a year and a half now. It was probably noticeable before that, but I didn't notice it at the time and it therefore didn't inhibit me. But I'm single and I sure as shit don't want to attract fat, ugly women just because I'm losing my hair. If I was in a great relationship like you seem to be in, then I think that hair loss would affect me a lot less drastically than it is now. Just out of curiosity, what does your girlfriend think about your hair loss? Does she want you to try to stop it or does she not care either way? After I started noticeably losing my hair, I had a relatively short relationship with this one girl and she didn't seem to notice or care.

Quote Originally Posted by DepressedByHairLoss View Post
    Mack, it's cool that you're in a long term relationship, and if I was, I think hair loss would be easier to deal with for me. I'm about your age (33) and I've been dealing with noticeable hair loss for about a year and a half now. It was probably noticeable before that, but I didn't notice it at the time and it therefore didn't inhibit me. But I'm single and I sure as shit don't want to attract fat, ugly women just because I'm losing my hair. If I was in a great relationship like you seem to be in, then I think that hair loss would affect me a lot less drastically than it is now. Just out of curiosity, what does your girlfriend think about your hair loss? Does she want you to try to stop it or does she not care either way? After I started noticeably losing my hair, I had a relatively short relationship with this one girl and she didn't seem to notice or care.

Its a shame that you think this way. You wont attract a fat and ugly woman just because you are losing your hair except of course if your a fat and ugly man. Wouldnt you rather a girl meet you when losing your hair so she knows what to expect and she loves you no matter what than if you started losing your hair during the relationship and found out how shallow she is and leaves you.

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo28 View Post
    Is it possible to just be happy bald?
    Not if you are female.

My mother copes with it but she isn't happy. She is grumpy most of the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Tracy C View Post
    Not if you are female.

My mother copes with it but she isn't happy. She is grumpy most of the time.
    Sorry i should have clarified i meant it to be for guys. I couldnt imagine being female and going through it. I hope your mother finds a cure soon.

Sorry i should have clarified i meant it to be for guys.
    LOL you posted it in the men's hair loss section. I'm just teasing you. There is not as much going on down there in the women's hair loss section so I post up here in the men's section a lot... I'm gabby as well as bald.

Its a shame that you think this way. You wont attract a fat and ugly woman just because you are losing your hair except of course if your a fat and ugly man. Wouldnt you rather a girl meet you when losing your hair so she knows what to expect and she loves you no matter what than if you started losing your hair during the relationship and found out how shallow she is and leaves you.
    Hey Jimbo, I really wish I wasn't forced to think this way. But I just believe that most women view a full head of hair as a helluva lot more attractive than being bald/balding. With regards to your question, I'd much rather meet a girl when I had a full head of hair, and keep that full head of hair until I'm an older man. Baldness runs in my family a bit, but not so much that it was my destiny to be a bald man. Hell, my dad still has the thickest head of hair (albeit a receding hair line since he was 20) and he's 60 years old. I really just think that women will look more favorably upon a man with a full head of hair, rather than a bald man.
    Also, baldness totally does not fit into my lifestyle at all. I've been an 80s rocker/metalhead and I've even played in a couple of short-lived bar bands too. I always dreamed of looking like my rock n roll heroes (dudes like Nikki Sixx of Motley Crue) and now I feel like that dream is being taken away from me permanently. There are a couple of huge guys at my gym with shaved heads and they really don't seem to give a shit about their own hair loss. They tell me to shave my hair and look like a total bad-ass. Maybe I could pull off that look since I've been a weight-lifter for almost 2 decades, yet I would feel so uncomfortable when I'm at my rock clubs and see all the guys there with full heads of long hair and then see myself as a bald man. My lifelong love of long-haired rock n roll really makes this hair loss even worse to deal with.
    That being said, it's very cool that you don't seem to be too depressed about your own hair loss. More power to ya, man. I know several people who seem to accept hair loss and move on, while with others, it negatively affects them to the point of depression. It's also cool that you said that a lot of guys that you admire are bald. That's actually the same with too. Here are some guys with shaved heads that I admire (you can google them if you want): Keith Jardine, Jay Dobyns, Kyle Vanden Bosch, Shane Carwin.

Most people I know that are bald are happy as ****. As a matter of fact I have friends who shave their heads and don't have MPB ha.

Quote Originally Posted by DepressedByHairLoss View Post

I always dreamed of looking like my rock n roll heroes (dudes like Nikki Sixx of Motley Crue) and now I feel like that dream is being taken away from me permanently. .
    Id be willing to bet that @ 53 yrs old Nikki's wearing a wig