+ Reply to Thread

Default 19 and losing hair in TORONTO

Hi I just started thinning recently and I'd like to prevent any further loss by starting Propecia. I live in Toronto, Ontario however, my family doctor is very old fashioned and keeps telling me to deal with it because it's genetic and theres nothing I can do. So far he's been reluctant to prescribe anything to me or treat my hairloss and on Wednesday, I plan on going back and asking him again for Propecia. I have no health problems that would prevent me from using the medicine. He's just very difficult. If he chooses not to give me a script I still have an appointment to see a dermatologist in February however I'd like to start treatment sooner.

Does anyone know how I can convince my doctor to prescribe propecia? Or any other way I could see a dermatologist sooner? Even a reputable doctor who has experience treating hair loss would be great.

Thank you very much.

Quote Originally Posted by J15 View Post
    Or any other way I could see a dermatologist sooner? Even a reputable doctor who has experience treating hair loss would be great.
    Here is a list of IAHRS members in Toronto:

http://www.iahrs.org/hair-transplant/ontario/

Thanks for the quick reply Tracy C, will these doctors still be able to treat me even though I'm not seeking a hair transplant? Do you know?

Thanks- J15

Of course.

Hi I just started thinning recently and I'd like to prevent any further loss by starting Propecia. I live in Toronto, Ontario however, my family doctor is very old fashioned and keeps telling me to deal with it because it's genetic and theres nothing I can do. So far he's been reluctant to prescribe anything to me or treat my hairloss and on Wednesday, I plan on going back and asking him again for Propecia. I have no health problems that would prevent me from using the medicine. He's just very difficult. If he chooses not to give me a script I still have an appointment to see a dermatologist in February however I'd like to start treatment sooner.

Does anyone know how I can convince my doctor to prescribe propecia? Or any other way I could see a dermatologist sooner? Even a reputable doctor who has experience treating hair loss would be great.

Thank you very much.
    First off, do not listen to that doctor who said for you to accept hair loss. That's for sure. But relax, it's really not that hard to get a prescription for Propecia at all, but just watch out for side effects, especially at your young age. But you've really got nothing to lose by giving it a try. Tracy's right, look at the IAHRS list that she provided a link for. I think Dr. Rahal is in Toronto and I'm sure he could very easily provide you with a prescription for Propecia.

Dr Rahal is in Ottawa^^. So I don't think that's his best option. I also live in Toronto, and if you want a prescription for propecia I suggest simply going to a walk-in-clinic and asking for it. That's how I got it.

Thank you very much.
    Just go to any walk in clinic. That's how I got mine for years when I was on it. Also tell them you want the generic stuff and the 5 mg pills that you will cut yourself into 1mg or 1.25mg doses. They prescribe the stuff like candy with a "don't let the door hit ya on the way out" attitude. And yes I think our health care system in Ontario has gone to shit, but that's how you get it... you simply walk in and tell that you'd like to see a doctor about getting a prescription for propecia or generic finasteride, and then sheepishly tell the doc that you are interested in trying this drug for cosmetic hair loss, he/she will prob ask you some simple med history questions and write a prescription in 30 seconds and that's it.

Thanks for the responses I actually getting nervous thinking it'd be difficult for me to obtain propecia, I will definitely try these solutions. I will keep you posted