+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default 10/2011 Study: <1.0% Japanese Men Show Side Effects on Finasteride

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21980923

Of 3,177 Japanese men, adverse reactions were seen in 0.7%.

Not bad.

Quote Originally Posted by HairTalk View Post
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21980923

Of 3,177 Japanese men, adverse reactions were seen in 0.7&#37;.

Not bad.
    too bad its not the same in North America, wish it was

First post! Hi everyone.

Keep in mind that the Japanese diet is quite different than the western diet. They rely mostly on plants, fish, and a little meat. Little or no refined foods. Perhaps that explains the low incidence.

I would also like to point out that cancer rates of all sorts are very, very low in Japan, especially if you compare it to the west. This has been attributed to diet, I believe the documentary is Forks Over Knives.

I fail to see the startling difference either of you may be. To my knowledge, studies on men in the United States have shown an incidence of adverse effects in ~1&#37; of men: quite comparable to the 0.7% being reported in this Japanese study.

To me it seems ridiculous that such a large number of members (who frequent baldtruth, as well as other forums pertaining to hair loss) claim to experience significant side effects resulting from propecia usage.

With a growing number of studies catering to both long and short term usage of the drug, which aim to make clear that sides resulting from finasteride indeed pertain to a minimal minority, how could a guy go wrong?

The multitude of forum goers who claim to have experienced sides from propecia must be misguided. What other explanation is there?

/sarcasm

Quote Originally Posted by clandestine View Post
    To me it seems ridiculous that such a large number of members (who frequent baldtruth, as well as other forums pertaining to hair loss) claim to experience significant side effects resulting from propecia usage.

With a growing number of studies catering to both long and short term usage of the drug, which aim to make clear that sides resulting from finasteride indeed pertain to a minimal minority, how could a guy go wrong?

The multitude of forum goers who claim to have experienced sides from propecia must be misguided. What other explanation is there?

/sarcasm
    Delete the "/sarcasm," and I agree.

To be frank with you, HairTalk, irreversible sexual dysfunction is not cool.

To be frank with you, HairTalk, irreversible sexual dysfunction is not cool.
    I don't think I or anyone else would consider it to be "cool." That said, the studies into finasteride have indicated an incidence of adverse effects in ~1% of men, and that those effects mostly have been reversible.

I'm not suggesting anyone who reports suffering from adverse reactions therefore is lying; I am suggesting a good deal of the utter paranoia around this medication, as it is found at least in some on-line fora, appears to be unfounded.

Alright, I agree with you to some extent.

In closing, my opinion remains that propecia is currently the best treatment out there to arrest the progression of male pattern baldness.

What must also be taken into account is the possibility that propecia users may experience permanent erectile dysfunction, among a plethora of other resulting sexual sides.

Alright, I agree with you to some extent.

In closing, my opinion remains that propecia is currently the best treatment out there to arrest the progression of male pattern baldness.

What must also be taken into account is the possibility that propecia users may experience permanent erectile dysfunction, among a plethora of other resulting sexual sides.
    It is simply not worth taking Propecia in my opinion. Some recent studies have established even a link to cancer (male breast cancer). A functional and healthy body is the most valuabe resource one can possess. I have dropped propecia 4 years ago - never looked back.