+ Reply to Thread

Default Hair fibers - the illusion of density...

I tried Toppik this past month and I am very happy with it. I don't need very much so the little can I bought has been lasting quite a while. Anyways, I know there are other similar products so I have been searching to see what else is out there to try. I found a product called X-fusion that I am pretty sure is exactly the same thing as Toppik. I also found products called Nanogen and Surethink. Then I found that Hairmax has their own brand of hair fibers. It looks like the Hairmax product is actually Surethick hair fibers with the Hairmax name screened on the bottle in place of Surethick's name. Hairmax's price is better per gram than Toppik, so I have been thinking about giving the Hairmax brand a try since I am also happy with my laser comb.

I was looking at the various brands just a few minutes ago to try to make a final decision on which brand to try next and I saw that Hairmax is having a special offer right now. The price is $9.00 less than regular price, so I just ordered a bottle. I don't know if the Hairmax product is as good as Toppik, but I am willing to try it. Especially since it is on special offer for a while.

BTW, when I bought my can of Toppik, I also bought the spray applicator. I hate that stupid thing. It does not work as well as they show in their videos.

I used toppik for over a decade. Great product. My suggestion is at some point in time also consider couvre.

I had for years after each shampoo washing dried my hair with a blow dryer...then applied couvre...then used gel to place my hair as I wanted it styled...

Then used the toppik. It is a routine that after years of just using toppik found the combination effort afforded many more years before the products began to no longer properly mask my MPB.

I also bought the spray atomizer and thought it was crap. Gave me a good chuckle as I read your similiar opinion.

One product that is sold along side the toppik was the very thin small plastic comb. I forgot what it is called but I used that after apply the couvre to create a more realistic effect ..

Good luck. Be aware it will get on pillow cases so you might want to switch to black pillow cases. I found it easier and less embarrassing if a small amount came off when I woke up in the morning.

Good product that like I mentioned served me for a dozen years ...now at 52 you can see what I've done! LOL

Quote Originally Posted by JonB. View Post
    My suggestion is at some point in time also consider couvre.
    My problem is just density. I have good coverage, just not enough density. I have very fine red hair, almost strawberry blonde and it is long. I don't think I would be able to use couvre. I just sprinkle a little bit of Toppik into my part and I'm good for the day.

I also bought the spray atomizer and thought it was crap. Gave me a good chuckle as I read your similiar opinion.
    After trying to use it myself, I can't believe I thought that was a good idea.

Good luck. Be aware it will get on pillow cases so you might want to switch to black pillow cases.
    I don't use very much of it. I also wash it out of my hair every night so I can put Minoxidil on my scalp every night and laser comb my head every other night.

One thing that has surprised me about Toppik was how well it remains undetectable even after working out. That was a big concern for me when I was thinking about giving these types of products a try.

It sounds like you have years and years to go before you might consider couvre and thats a good thing.

I would suggest way down the road.....as the sprinkle products become less effective...that you just remember what I'm suggesting.

As I rolled into the final stages of being able to use these sprinkle products that I found a combination of couvre as a base and then gel...and then use the toppik on top which made a nice cover for the final years..

i think its good you are washing your hair every night and then using the minoxidil and the laser comb.. or visa versa..

I found that to be a tough regimen and to be honest I never tried the laser comb..

Thanks for sharing what is working for you. I just had a conversation today with a gentleman at the gym about his MPB concerns..(he brought up the conversation) and I wanted to tell him about toppik but wasn't sure how he would respond as I don't know him that well.

I'm a firm believer that it could help so many people in the early and then middle stages of MPB concerns but its relatively out of the box thinking most people would think its too vain an idea.

After a dozen years of using the products I don't have the same concerns for vanity. I just know it worked so well.

Just out of curiosity would you tell a relative stranger (a person who you see at the gym everyweek and just say hello to most of the time) who mentioned his concern about MPB that he is experiencing about Toppik and couvre or would you just let the conversation pass?

His girlfriend working out with her girlfriends are all stunning so you know the guy cares about his appearance etc..

I see this guy every week and when he opened up a conversation about his MPB...I wanted to tell him what an easy application it would be for him to successfully cover up.

I didn't want to get into a conversation where the other person looked at me as if I was nuts for suggesting it so I let it pass..

Its pretty cutting edge efforts for a guy to do in most peoples minds..even though I don't agree...with that assessment. I had the whole process down to 2 minutes extra after a shower..

I always laugh as people in general concern themselves that its "too bizarre an idea. to sprinkle stuff on your head to get the coverage MPB is leading.......yet women slather on facial makeup everyday and its considered the norm...

Let you know what you think...Would you tell a guy whose acknowledging the need for something to do about his MPB but doesn't know about toppik??

i think its good you are washing your hair every night and then using the minoxidil and the laser comb.. or visa versa..

I found that to be a tough regimen and to be honest I never tried the laser comb.
    Its really not so bad. I would rather not need to do it, but I am very motivated to keep it up because I don't want to be a bald lady.

Just out of curiosity would you tell a relative stranger (a person who you see at the gym everyweek and just say hello to most of the time) who mentioned his concern about MPB that he is experiencing about Toppik and couvre or would you just let the conversation pass?
    It has happened. I do talk about it openly to anyone who asks, especially women. There are so many men and women out there who think there is nothing they can do about hair loss. I try to "spread the word" so to speak. I let them know that there is something they can do. There is nothing wrong with using a cover up product. I was wearing wigs for years before I recovered enough hair that I no longer need to wear a wig if I don't want to. I am still growing hair back even now. Recovering from hair loss is a painfully slow process. These sprinkle on cover up products are helping me cope with the long wait. I'm not sure how well couvre would work for those of us with long hair though. I would have no problem telling anyone about Minoxidil, the laser comb, hair fibers or even couvre.

I actually ordered the toppik like material from Joan Rivers website for my 79 year old mom.

she was talking about needing better hair coverage after the Gamma Knife proceedure she recently had so I just ordered it up for her..

My wife also uses the joan Rivers brand of toppik like material...which gave me the idea to suggest it to my mom who had those 4 screws put into her head to hold the gamma knife..

I believe many make up professionals (which is what many women are after many many years of application) prefer the brush applicator of the joan rivers product plus it looks just like so many other types of makeup cases they have used for years..(at least from this husbands viewpoint)

After I had the HIS service done...I had so much couvre and toppik left over ...I was giving it away....some to my wife who was thrilled to death about how well it worked...(shes' 53 and she thinks she's losing hair so I offered it to her in addition to the Joan Rivers product she already had...)

Interesting how Joan Rivers toppik like material goes on with what appears to be a makeup brush of some sort and its often times more natural for her to use that type of device after years of putting on makeup..

I remember sprinkling it on for her when I gave it to her and she thought that was so uncontrolled ...but after she was impressed with the end result..

I appreciate your insights on whether to share the toppik information with that gentleman from the gym..as I say hello to him every week but today was the first actual conversation we had. Interestingly enough he started the conversation and lo and behold it was about hair or lack there of....

I will take your advice...I have a small sample travel size toppik in his color on my desk in front of me... its a .09 oz and I'll offer it to him.. in a relatively descreat way....

I think this gentleman can go an easy decade before needing to use couvre as well..

I will report back how he responds to my suggestion he try toppik and give him a sample..

Please accept apologizies as I originally thought we were discussing male pattern baldness..

sorry to go off toppik?

Happy holidays..

JB

Please accept apologizies as I originally thought we were discussing male pattern baldness...
    No apology needed. Whether we are talking about MPB or FPB, hair loss is still hair loss. Many people are not aware that 40% of those suffering with hair loss are women. Spencer does a wonderful job of trying to make people aware of that very sad reality. Anyways, cosmetic camouflage products such as Toppik, X-Fusion, Surethick and Nanogen are just as applicable for women as they are for men.

I actually did find the Joan Rivers product but I haven't given much thought to trying it. The longer list of ingredients made me shy away from it. I did try using Toppik with a similar make up brush though. Since my problem is pretty well centered on the top of my head, it works out better for me when I just sprinkle the powder into my part. It seems to just go were it needs to go almost all by itself.

Thumbs up Thinning Hair

hi- i too had a hair loss problem and while holidaying in Sri Lanka, i came across a product similar to toppik's called Trendz Volumizer. Its a similar hair building fiber and works great!

i had visited a local clinic called Trendz and after seeing my scanty look, they had advised me to use a topical treatment, minoxidil 5% to maintain the balance hair i had!

now i combine the two and works great!