Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • HairTalk
    • Feb 2011

Nizoral: Doctors

Would any any doctors care to opine on the use of Nizoral (topical ketoconazole, in shampoo) for the treatment of androgenic alopecia? It seems, of the three "main" non-surgical treatments currently (2011) available — finasteride, minoxidil, and ketoconazole — this is the least studied.

Thanks.
  • Tracy C
    • Sep 2011

I am not a doctor but I do have a thing or two to share about why I use Nizoral. I use the non-prescription 1% Nizoral A-D version. First and foremost I use it because it helps ensure my scalp is free from dandruff and healthy enough for my hair loss treatment regimen to be as effective as possible. Secondly because it can reduce any posssible scalp irritation caused by using Minoxidil. Thridly because the active ingredient is a mild anti-androgen and as such it may reduce DHT at my scalp. It also makes my hair smell pretty, which is a nice bonus.

Comment

• HairTalk
      • Feb 2011

How much have you tended to pay, and how much has cost risen (and, over what period?)?

Comment

• Tracy C
        • Sep 2011

The price hasn't risen. It's expensive anyways as far as shampoo goes. I paid around $15.00 for a 7oz bottle a few weeks ago at Walmart.

There was a sortage this past year due production delays. But that seems to have been resolved. When I bought those two bottles a few weeks ago, there were still a half dozen bottles on the shelf.

Comment

• HairTalk
          • Feb 2011

Wow, that's more than $2.00/ounce. If it's a true alternative to minoxidil, the price isn't bad, but, as far as dandruff shampoos are concerned, it's terribly exorbitant.

Comment

• Tracy C
            • Sep 2011

Originally posted by HairTalk
            If it's a true alternative to minoxidil, the price isn't bad, but...
            Nizoral is not an alternative to Minoxidil. The company makes no claims of the sort. Nizoral is an excellent adjuct treatment to compliment your hair loss treatment regimen. It is certainly not inexpensive though, but it is an excellent medicated shampoo that helps a lot of people.

Comment

• HairTalk
              • Feb 2011

Originally posted by Tracy C
              Nizoral is not an alternative to Minoxidil. The company makes no claims of the sort. Nizoral is an excellent adjuct treatment to compliment your hair loss treatment regimen. It is certainly not inexpensive though, but it is an excellent medicated shampoo that helps a lot of people.
              No, I understand Nizoral is not an alternative to minoxidil. I meant, if it were one, its price would be reasonable; as a product that can be sold only as a "dandruff shampoo," it is over-priced.

Comment

• Tracy C
                • Sep 2011

Originally posted by HairTalk
                ...as a product that can be sold only as a "dandruff shampoo," it is over-priced.
                I suppose that is relative. I don't think it's over priced.

Comment

Working...