+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Anyone else multi-year user of propeica and ended up OK after quitting????

Or like me, did problems emerge months after quitting?

I'm even MORE interested to know (and there seems to be NO answer to this) if someone who had no problems on the drug but developed major problems after quitting, RESTARTED the drug and if it restored them back to health again!!!!

Over the 13 years I took the drug, I would occasionally quit for several weeks (even as long a 3 months around year 10) just to give my body a break. It wasn't until quitting this last time, around end of 2011 that the symptoms struck me and the nightmare began... I was a great responder all those years with no side-effects, until the end of my usage of the drug, and in particular after I stopped it.

Quote Originally Posted by blakes33 View Post
    Over the 13 years I took the drug, I would occasionally quit for several weeks (even as long a 3 months around year 10) just to give my body a break. It wasn't until quitting this last time, around end of 2011 that the symptoms struck me and the nightmare began... I was a great responder all those years with no side-effects, until the end of my usage of the drug, and in particular after I stopped it.
    Hello Blakes33,
    Do I understand correctly that you quit fin in 2011 and have been having problems ever since? I have been on for about 13 years myself, with the exception of one short break at the 10 year mark. I have had no issues beyond the occasional testicular pain/low libido. What sort of problems are you having, and what specifically has brought you back to the forum today? How has your hair held up? Forgive me if I've missed something.
    Best,
    Karlton

Hi Everyone . I took Propecia in 2006 and noticed that it certainly helped . Propecia is expensive and I was told by a Doctor that taking Proscar would be far cheaper option. I was told do divide the tablet into four equal segments . Throughout the years I have decreased the dosage . I divided a Proscar tablet into four equal segments . Took each proscar segment on a Monday , Tuesday and Wednesday .... I then proceeded the same
    schedule the week after . This certainly worked for me .

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Vernon View Post
    Hi Everyone . I took Propecia in 2006 and noticed that it certainly helped . Propecia is expensive and I was told by a Doctor that taking Proscar would be far cheaper option. I was told do divide the tablet into four equal segments . Throughout the years I have decreased the dosage . I divide a Proscar tablet into four equal segments . Take each proscar segment on a Monday , Tuesday and Wednesday .... I then proceed the same
    scedule the week after . This certainly worked for me .
    And how does this pertain to this topic, or the situation that Blakes33 is going through?

Blakes33

For me initially taking Propecia made me ' Cloud headed ' and my inhibition to have sexual urge was slightly diminishing . However after switching to Proscar and lowering the dosages . I found that I have regained all my faculties again .

Quote Originally Posted by Karlton View Post
    Hello Blakes33,
    Do I understand correctly that you quit fin in 2011 and have been having problems ever since? I have been on for about 13 years myself, with the exception of one short break at the 10 year mark. I have had no issues beyond the occasional testicular pain/low libido. What sort of problems are you having, and what specifically has brought you back to the forum today? How has your hair held up? Forgive me if I've missed something.
    Best,
    Karlton

Karlton,

Thanks for your response. Sorry it took awhile to get back.

Yes, that is correct - I quit in Nov 2011 for just a "break" and to prove that all the fuss about the drug that it could cause permanent damage was not true. I had seen the George Washington University study and it made me a little nervous, although I had taken the drug for so long without any real side-effects (until the very end of usage), I thought it was surely bogus or biased. So I just thought, I've quit before for several weeks to give my body a break and been just fine - I'll do it again and then feel better that this information and fuss about Post-finasteride syndrome isn't true or real.

Symptoms are sort of difficult to explain, because this is not a problem in which you develop a few symptoms, it is truly a whole-body or hormonal system shutdown. I don’t want to list everything here, as it is personal (look in your PM Inbox for details). Overall, metabolism has slowed to almost a shut-down with all symptoms of a hypogonadal condition, even though my testosterone, estrogen, free T, etc.. levels all "show" to be in perfect normal range! So, my body responds as if my hormones are not there at all.

The two studies being done right now, one at Baylor College of Medicine headed by world-renowned Dr. Mohit Khera and the other at Harvard University are both looking at the two most prevalent theories to describe what happens in PFS - that there is brain-damage (neurosteroid levels altered) and that the androgen receptors have become sensitized so that testosterone and DHT cannot be absorbed by the body anymore. They are beginning to think it is NOT only happening to men that have some sort of genetic pre-disposition - how do I know this? *Because Dr. Khera did genetic testing on me, testing my number of CAG repeats and mine were completely normal showing I was a "good responder" to propecia (which of course I was for a long time).

The two studies by the way, are investigating and looking into almost EXACTLY what this comprehensive article (The 5ARI Withdrawal Syndrome) reports on. --> http://www.protocol-online.org/forum...1282061244.ipb

One more side-note: I ran across this article yesterday and it made me really feel for the loss of this family. This good-looking bright young man took propecia and his damage from the drug led him to a place of desperation and hopelessness. His family has asked that in lieu of flowers/cards, donations be sent to the Post-Finasteride Syndrome Foundation. He was a Doctor (PhD) and Professor of Criminal Justice, where he taught at University of North Texas. His story here --> http://www.pfsfoundation.org/news/da...art-1976-2014/

It definitely seems like there is growing evidence that some people's endocrine systems are permanently messed up by finasteride. It is disconcerting to say the least. I personally have benefitted, and continue to benefit from this drug, which makes the decision whether to continue treatment extremely difficult, in light of the recent PFS evidence.
    I have never had any issues, and I have my organs and hormones checked regularly. I planned on taking the drug forever, as crazy as that may sound to some people. I have shaved my head before, and I hate the way I look without hair. Finasteride has given me comfort over the years by keeping my recession at bay.
    Personally, I feel like the best thing I can do is to stay on the medication until more is known about the withdrawal and weaning off process. If this problem becomes more prevalent in the coming years, there are going to be hundreds of thousands of men affected, and the drug companies are going to have a serious sh*t -storm to deal with. If there are studies being conducted, then more information will begin to surface in the coming years, and we will eventually all know more about how to safely quit the medication if we choose, and what course of treatments may be necessary in conjunction with weaning off.
    I have thought about quitting, but I am just not ready to be bald first of all, and if it is likely that quitting will cause complications, I would like to see more of these scientific studies reach some kind of consensus
    on the best course of action before I simply stop the treatment on my own.

i think you shd ween off..... . you know reduce it to .25 daily, then twice a week, then constant doses below .2 mg and then intermittent and stop, over a period of 6 8 months maybe.