+ Reply to Thread

Default Balding on sides (not temples)

Hi all,

My temples are really bald. I have accepted this. However, for a long while (I'd say about four years) I've had a problem with the hair around the ear and temple area (see bottom picture for reference) getting wiry and thin. The area lacks density and individual hairs are wispy. This I cannot accept, because it looks unkempt and odd.

Front view:

Side:

Note: Both sides are equally affected. As you can see the hair on top has retained its density. Same goes for the back.

Is this a normal MPB related phenomenon, and thus inherent to the recession of the hairline in the front? Or is it perhaps related to a disorder, an allergy or a deficiency in nutrition? Your opinions are much appreciated.

To be honest man I personally don't know, ive noticed it on myself and two of my buddies who are starting to thin have it as well. MPB should only be top of the head tho right which is why i am confused..

You can definitely lose some hair in front of the ears due to MPB. I noticed something similar a few years ago. That being said density is often lower there anyway and it's just more noticeable when it's short. I remember getting a 2 or 3 on the sides a few years ago and thinking what the hell is going on. It tends to happen as the triangular temple points erode away.

I must say it was also noticeable when my hair was longer. I find that the problem virtually vanishes when the hair is clipped very very short. A close cropped haircut (i.e. a fade or a #1 buzzcut) will make it seem as if the temple points are on par with other areas.

Exactly the same situation with me. Hair above ears and the temples has been getting thinner, especially on the right side of my head. I have dandruff issues and when ever I scratch, I used to pull out scales of my skin from the sides..it was like an obsession for me. may be thats one of the reasons.. dandruff, excessive scratching..

I have never suffered from scalp problems (and skin problems in general) in my life, and I must say highly doubt that dryness of the skin affects hair follicles.

Got a #1 all round and the MPB is barely visible now. I guess I'll have to make do with this haircut.

The affected actually thickened up after a few months. I guess its improvement is due to to less shampoo usage, or maybe to reduced stress levels. Anyway, good news for anyone having problems akin to mine - this shows that hair loss in this area is not necessarily irreversible.