+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Default Hydrogel promotes the formation of blood vessels and skin, including hair follicles

Hey everyone, not sure if this has been posted here yet, if so I'm sorry. Also not sure if I posted it in the right section of the forum, again I'm sorry. I found this while on another forum.

http://medicalxpress.com/news/2011-12-third-degree-treatment-hydrogel-scar-free-skin.html

I don't know if this is a new article or not, but this technology is very promising. I can tell that they've already tested on mice so now what they need to do is start clinical trials or some kind of voluntary trials ON HUMANS now. I get so pissed off when I see all of these promising technologies that are tested on mice endlessly but never looked at to benefit humans. But yeah, I really like this technology and it sure as hell beats the useless options that we have out there today (the "Big 3" - what a useless joke).

Quote Originally Posted by DepressedByHairLoss View Post
    But yeah, I really like this technology and it sure as hell beats the useless options that we have out there today (the "Big 3" - what a useless joke).
    The treatments available now are not useless to everyone. They actually do help a lot of people. I am sorry the current treatments don't work for you. Nothing works for everyone but give credit where credit is due. A lot of men have been helped with the "Big 3". A lot of women have been helped with two of those three. The possible future treatments we read about sound great and I can't wait for them to become available but I am thankful for what we have now. My mother did not have the benefit of these treatments you call useless so now she is cue ball bald. My sister and I do have the benefit of these "useless" treatments and because we do have them, we are keeping our hair.

I know that these treatments work for some people and I'm glad that they work for you; in other posts you talked about how traumatic hair loss is for you so I'm glad you found something that works. Except I still believe that these current treatments are very limited. I don't think that Nizoral has done a damn thing for anybody and minoxidil is a very, very weak hair growth promoter if it can even be called that at all. Finasteride helps to slow down hair loss but it really doesn't do a damn thing to regrow hair. And I think a lot us are really looking to regrow hair and minoxidil really doesn't do a damn thing to regrow hair. Hell, I've even read stories about how people initially experienced the expected hair shed when starting minoxidil and wound up never growing that hair back. My main beef is that in today's day and age, we really should have much better options than the current ones that we have. I mean, complex iPods and other extremely complex gadgets are being created, space shuttles are being sent into outer space that can withstand extreme heat, and the intricacies of the internet continue to boggle my mind. The fact that all of these things can be done, yet we don't have anything better than the so-called Big 3 to combat hair loss is just utterly disgraceful and inexcusable to me. I dunno, I just see so many of us that are suffered incredibly due to alopecia and want to fight it so badly. We really should have much, much better options than the ones that we have now.

Except I still believe that these current treatments are very limited.
    They are limited - but they are still better than nothing.

I don't think that Nizoral has done a damn thing for anybody and minoxidil is a very, very weak hair growth promoter if it can even be called that at all.
    Nizoral is a great medicated shampoo that helps a lot of people. I don't know if it actually does anything to help hair grow - but I do know that it does help ensure a healthy scalp, which is very important when treating hair loss. It also increases the diameter of your existing hair. Since it is a mild anti-androgen, it may block DHT at the scalp.

Minoxidil does grow hair. There is more than enough evidence to show that it grows hair. It can only do so much though. For a male who is beyond stage V, it isn't going to do anything meaningful. For many males who are stage V or less, in time it can do something. It can't give you your original density back but it can give you something back - and something is better than nothing.

Finasteride helps to slow down hair loss but it really doesn't do a darn thing to regrow hair.
    I think you are correct on this one. Finasteride does not "make" hair grow back. Finasteride "allows" hair than can grow back to start growing back. The same can be said of Spironolactone for women.

Hell, I've even read stories about how people initially experienced the expected hair shed when starting minoxidil and wound up never growing that hair back.
    I have no doubt that this has happened to some poor souls. However knowing what I know now, it is most likely that the hair that was lost was hair that was on its last leg already - and damaged beyond treatable.

My main beef is that in today's day and age, we really should have much better options than the current ones that we have.
    I certainly don't disagree with you there - and I am very hopeful that we will see better treatments. But to say that the current treatments are useless is just plain being negative for the sake of being negative. Statements like that can convince people who might be treatable that they shouldn't bother trying.

Inactive

Back to the point of this thread. If you wanna discuss fin and minox use those forums

"Hydrogel promotes the formation of[...] hair follicles"
    Well, I sure hope so. :/

Quote Originally Posted by RichardDawkins View Post
    Back to the point of this thread. If you wanna discuss fin and minox use those forums
    The temporary diversion was appropriate in this instance. There was never a need for anyone to play the part of thread police.

Inactive

but i do because we dont need another fin minox discussion

Hey Tracey, I respect your comments but I disagree that minoxidil really does anything significant to regrow hair at all. I really don't think that minoxidil grows any kind of cosmetically significant hair at all. Maybe some miracles do happen, but I believe that for the most part, minoxidil does not do much of anything at all. I've ever seen the photos on Rogaine's website and on their television ads, and even those photo results (which are supposed to exhibit the best case scenarios) show very, very little regrowth, if any at all. And I think that a lot of the regrowth that is seen is in terms of a few vellous hairs, and that's about it. Minoxidil is a very, very weak hair growth promoter, and if the pharmaceutical industry was really serious about curing hair loss, then they would create a far more potent version of minoxidil that would actually grow some cosmetically significant hair. I've also never heard of Nizoral increasing hair diameter at all.
    I wasn't trying to be "negative for negative's sake" by calling today's treatments useless, but I really believe that so-called Big 3 are useless and just downright shame. As I've said before, with all the ridiculous innovation that is going on today, it is just utterly shameful that all we have to treat hair loss is the so-called Big 3. My intention by criticizing today's treatments is certainly not to discourage people from seeking out treatment, and just giving up and letting their hair loss happen. As a matter of fact, I always come on here saying how I refuse to accept hair loss and will do whatever I can to combat it. I've been on Propecia for about 1.5 years despite the fact that I'm experiencing side effects, because I'm scared to death of becoming bald. So I want people to fight hair loss with all they've got. I'm always critical of people on here who just encourage others to shave their heads, accept their baldness, and move on. 'Acceptance' is just such a dirty word to me. I'm just very angry because so many of us, including you and me, are so passionately determined to regrow our hair, yet all we're given are very weak treatments to do that.