+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

While Tracy's argument is entirely valid, i.e. the Big 3 are indeed better than no treatment whatsoever, I'm inclined to side with DBHL on this one. It's more than slightly unnerving that were approaching 2012 and we've still yet to develop an effective treatment for persons dealing with hair loss. In recent history we've made critical advances in science and technological fields, but can as of yet not deal with an issue that affects such a massive portion of our population?

As an aside, found an interesting fact while browsing a wiki article on baldness. Not sure of the validity of the claim, but here it is regardless:

"An eight month study performed at the School of Pharmaceutical Sciences at the University of Science Malaysia showed daily supplements of a patented tocotrienol (vitamin E) complex may increase hair growth in people with male pattern baldness by 42 percent.[56]"
    http://www.nutraingredients-usa.com/...baldness-Study

Quote Originally Posted by clandestine View Post
    While Tracy's argument is entirely valid, i.e. the Big 3 are indeed better than no treatment whatsoever, I'm inclined to side with DBHL on this one. It's more than slightly unnerving that were approaching 2012 and we've still yet to develop an effective treatment for persons dealing with hair loss. In recent history we've made critical advances in science and technological fields, but can as of yet not deal with an issue that affects such a massive portion of our population?

As an aside, found an interesting fact while browsing a wiki article on baldness. Not sure of the validity of the claim, but here it is regardless:

"An eight month study performed at the School of Pharmaceutical Sciences at the University of Science Malaysia showed daily supplements of a patented tocotrienol (vitamin E) complex may increase hair growth in people with male pattern baldness by 42 percent.[56]"
    http://www.nutraingredients-usa.com/...baldness-Study

Death affects an even larger part of the population and they didn't fix that issue yet....

Quote Originally Posted by NeedHairASAP View Post
    Death affects an even larger part of the population and they didn't fix that issue yet....
    Death is a symptom, not a disease. The final symptom.
    Besides to avoid death all together is the same as making a perpetuum mobile: Scientificially impossible.
    The Big 3 are currently the only way to slow down hair loss, but thats all they do.
    If we give up on anything better for any medical disease or ailment we will fail many people as a human race. There is so much more to cure, and I hope they will...
    That said I hope they will cure baldness too. Why not...

Personally, I don't see death as a 'issue', or as something that needs 'fixing'.

Anyone have any idea about the validity of the vitamin E claim? It's pretty bold, claiming up to 42 percent regrowth.

Quote Originally Posted by clandestine View Post
    Anyone have any idea about the validity of the vitamin E claim? It's pretty bold, claiming up to 42 percent regrowth.
    I'm not sure if anyone can make any strong claims about the validity of this until it gets submitted for peer review and expanding the trials to increase the participants, as the number of participants for that trial was fairly small.

But it seems like they did this through the classical scientific/medical experiment (which is obviously good).....experimental and control groups, blinded etc. It looks promising.

I dunno, I'm always skeptical about these "all-natural" hair loss treatments. I've heard in the past about B.S. like cayenne peppers or emu oil regrowing hair. That being said, I think this may be more legit and I'd be willing to try it, and after all, 42% is a hell of a lot more than Rogaine could ever accomplish. Anyone know where you can get this tocotrienol?

Very skeptical that vitamin E does that. It's part of the post-op recovery treatment for HT so it is good for healing but everyone would know about it already I would assume.

You cant compare hair loss treatments to gadgets and spaceships! They are technologies that are older and more matured then the current and future hair-loss treatments, at least in terms of years / age. People were on the moon decades ago well before even Propecia existed - and definitely before there were things like stem cell research. In fact space tech seems to be stagnating while hair loss solutions seem to be being researched more and more

Unlike you Im married and had to stop due to the side effects. Id rather be bald, even with scars then loose my family. Just say'n..

That said Im not happy with our situation. I absolutely want these technologies now (yesterday) but I am a realist and we all just have to be patient and hope for the best.*

Inactive

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi View Post
    You cant compare hair loss treatments to gadgets and spaceships! They are technologies that are older and more matured then the current and future hair-loss treatments, at least in terms of years / age.
    Indeed. Despite all our technological progress, the human body remains a vastly more complex mechanism than any spaceship, robot, or other device yet built by man.

Quote Originally Posted by gmonasco View Post
    Indeed. Despite all our technological progress, the human body remains a vastly more complex mechanism than any spaceship, robot, or other device yet built by man.
    Thankyou.

The sooner depressedbyhairloss figures this out the better